Page 1 of 1

Eliminate footnote letters, but keep hyperlinks?

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:55 am
by fridgesm-p40
I frequently copy scripture quotes from the online scriptures into my scripture journal. Because it is text only, I don't have to worry about it copying the hyperlinks. However, I end up with something like this:

4 aCharity bsuffereth long, and is ckind; charity denvieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

[font=Arial]That's not exactly what I want, so I always have to go through and remove all of the extra letters. I know you can hide the footnotes, but then they aren't links either. Is there a way to have the links without the little letters?

Thanks!

Steve
[/font]

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:08 pm
by thedqs
I also have come across this, though I like the letters (in that they can help show you if you missed a footnote) but would enjoy the ability to have copy remove the letters by default.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:47 am
by WelchTC
fridgesm wrote:I frequently copy scripture quotes from the online scriptures into my scripture journal. Because it is text only, I don't have to worry about it copying the hyperlinks. However, I end up with something like this:

4 aCharity bsuffereth long, and is ckind; charity denvieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

[font=Arial]That's not exactly what I want, so I always have to go through and remove all of the extra letters. I know you can hide the footnotes, but then they aren't links either. Is there a way to have the links without the little letters?

Thanks!

Steve
[/font]

For a work around, you can turn off footnotes. Go to "Options" and look for "Footnotes". When checked, there are no footnote indicators and so the copy/pasted text looks normal.

Tom

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:42 am
by thedqs
tomw wrote:For a work around, you can turn off footnotes. Go to "Options" and look for "Footnotes". When checked, there are no footnote indicators and so the copy/pasted text looks normal.

Tom


No fancy Javascript change at modify the behavior of the copy command? Or is that listed for the next update to the scriptures site?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:30 pm
by WelchTC
thedqs wrote:No fancy Javascript change at modify the behavior of the copy command? Or is that listed for the next update to the scriptures site?

I'm not sure exactly what you were trying to ask. We are looking at new features that will make it easier to use the content on the web page within various medias, such as copy/paste, web services, etc.

Tom

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:19 pm
by thedqs
Sorry about not being clear. On some programs and possibly websites too if you copya section of text it can add and remove part of what you copy and add a citation to the end. For example lets say I wanted to copy john 13:34 and 35. It currently appears on the website as:

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye alove one another; as I have loved you, that ye also blove one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have alove one to another.

But if you selected it and copied it you would get on your clipboard:
"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:34-35)

And of course you could have different options for copying too.

Hopefully that explains my idea a little more.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:19 pm
by WelchTC
thedqs wrote:Sorry about not being clear. On some programs and possibly websites too if you copya section of text it can add and remove part of what you copy and add a citation to the end. For example lets say I wanted to copy john 13:34 and 35. It currently appears on the website as:

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye alove one another; as I have loved you, that ye also blove one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have alove one to another.

But if you selected it and copied it you would get on your clipboard:
"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:34-35)

And of course you could have different options for copying too.

Hopefully that explains my idea a little more.

That is more clear. Have you seen a web app do this? I can see how a client application could do this but I'd be curious if you know of any web apps that do.

Tom

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:40 pm
by bhofmann-p40
You could tie an onClick event to an AJAX call. Of course access to the clipboard via JavaScript is limited to IE. I haven't found anything outside of IE anyway. Here is a quick example.

var x = 'some text to send to the clipboard';
window.clipboardData.setData('Text',x);

window.clipboardData.getData('Text');

window.clipboardData.clearData();

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:59 pm
by thedqs
That is what I was thinking, though I am trying to create a proof of concept for myself.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:31 pm
by WelchTC
Great ideas...keep them coming.

Tom