Are all the pieces of Classic LUWS really soon to be in place on LDS.org?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdcr256 wrote:I don't have any information either way right now. I could see it going either way at this point.

I'd think sooner would be better then later. Even if the page is nothing more then links to the parts that are working. Trying to change member's habits later could be a problem.

Of course, I suppose they could just revamp the existing classic LUWS page, replacing modules like they did with Calendar and Directory (providing the stake turned that on).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Sorry for dropping the line about Newsletter being the last element to replace LUWS. As jdcr256 points out, there is still a forthcoming element that will unify information from these tools. I'll see if I can get more information about this unifying element and potentially post some details about it.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

johnsonth wrote:I'll see if I can get more information about this unifying element and potentially post some details about it.
That would be awesome. Just because we're awfully curious. :) Thanks!
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

jdcr256 wrote:I don't have any information either way right now. I could see it going either way at this point.

I think we are leaning a little more towards the discontinuing before a centralized page is ready, but no quoting me on that.

The logic behind it is the classic websites are on an old technology that takes time/money/servers/etc to keep running separately from our current technologies. The huge push is to get us off of that old stuff. The sooner the better. So once the big pieces are replicated (lesson scheduler, ward info [newsletter]) I think the cut off will come quickly. But I don't know definitively.
Aaron Barker
Front-end Development Lead for LDS.org (content portions, not apps) and Ward Executive Secretary.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Thanks for adding your thoughts here, BarkerAJ. Just to follow up, I mentioned I would try to provide more info on the unifying element. In talking with solutions managers, I can only confirm what jdcr256 said -- it's too early to tell exactly what it will be. As far as I know, we don't yet have prototypes. So maybe in 6 months we'll have a better idea of what strategy is used to bring these applications together (if indeed we pull them together at all).
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Church employees, it's very fascinating to read your comments. Thank you for taking the time to chime in!

If they aren't all pulled together on a "webpage" then all the "big tools" will probably be available through the Tools menu until then, right?

Thanks again for filling us in!
deanphillips

Post by deanphillips »

Are there any plans to replicate the Website Administrator access to Email Broadcasts that are tied to MLS? Our ward uses this functionality frequently to keep members up to date with weekly activities. The classic site requires manual updates to callings (not updated by changes in MLS) which is time consuming to keep up to date. Also maintaining the ability to send text emails to anyone who has subscribed to specific calendars that they may not physically belong to.

Dean
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

deanphillips wrote:Are there any plans to replicate the Website Administrator access to Email Broadcasts that are tied to MLS?
Currently, the website administrator (and any other member) can email all adults in the ward from the New Directory.
deanphillips wrote:The classic site requires manual updates to callings (not updated by changes in MLS) which is time consuming to keep up to date.
I deleted all the information from the leadership directory on the classic site and directed people to the New Directory. Your stake leadership also has the ability to turn off the old directory so that it automatically redirects to the new one.[/QUOTE]

I hope that helps a little! :)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

deanphillips wrote:Are there any plans to replicate the Website Administrator access to Email Broadcasts that are tied to MLS?
The new directory has individual and broadcast e-mail capabilities. Members can use the defined groups to broadcast email messages. Certain leadership positions having access to Leader and Clerk Resources have further group email capabilities beyond those for the membership in general.
deanphillips wrote:Our ward uses this functionality frequently to keep members up to date with weekly activities. The classic site requires manual updates to callings (not updated by changes in MLS) which is time consuming to keep up to date.
You may wish to use the new directory with its enhanced capabilities. Broadcast e-mails can be sent to individuals or groups. Groups are defined by ward leadership groups, such as the bishopric, and ward organizations, such as high priests. The e-mail groups are not editable by members. Also the granularity of the groups may not be as you would like. For example you cannot send an e-mail to only the second Deacons Quorum if there are two Deacons Quorums. It will be transmitted to both Deacons Quorums members who have public profiles and public e-mail addresses listed in the directory.
deanphillips wrote:Also maintaining the ability to send text emails to anyone who has subscribed to specific calendars that they may not physically belong to.
A ward member may subscribe to any calendar created for any organization or group. They do not need to be a member of the organization or group to subscribe to that organizations calendar. The male head of household may subscribe to his daughter's young women calendar and his wife's relief society calendar. If he has "Allow e-mail reminders for this calendar" checked in the Subscriptions Options checked he will receive e-mail reminders for the subscribed calendar.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”