LUWS Duplicate Email Notifications

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
brado426

Postby brado426 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:58 am

jdlessley wrote:
However, I don't think Brad O. is an administrator - so my reasoning may not be valid. I will check the message headers to see what the route my notifications are taking.

Yeah, I'm not an administrator. I noticed that the duplicate Emails (at least in one case) are 5 minutes apart from one another. Maybe it is something our administrator is doing?

I'm thinking that this isssue could be a result of something as simple as clicking a "SEND" button multiple times. I should probably ask other members of our ward if they also get the duplicates. Since I do not have admin access, I cannot do any testing on my own.

Brad O.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:57 pm

Brad O. wrote:Maybe it is something our administrator is doing?

This is not likely. The functionality of the LUWS, and the messaging capabilities, is out of the hands of the LUWS administrators.

Brad O. wrote:I'm thinking that this isssue could be a result of something as simple as clicking a "SEND" button multiple times.

This is not possible either. Once a message, both broadcast and individual, is sent by clicking the send button the window is closed. Multiple clicks are treated as one click.

Since I get multiple messages from LUWS notices that result from my actions of approving an event that triggers the sending of a message I don't think it has anything to do with what the administrator is doing.

The most likely causes are either the ISP(s) involved or the LUWS messaging system.

SingerGuy

Postby SingerGuy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:37 am

I am the stake admin and we have gone exclusively to the web for all stake business, so I send out event notifications frequently. My profile has those entries checked that would be appropriate if I was just one of the unwashed masses (HP, RS, YW, YM). Last week I sent out a notice to YM, YW and I received seven copies of the notification email.

Before you ask, my wife and daughter both have their own log-ins and independent email addresses. I should have received one copy of this because the software should be smart enough to recognize one email per household, even if the event is to two of the groups I have requested notification on. There is no reason I should receive seven copies. I'm not even watching seven interest areas.

SingerGuy

Postby SingerGuy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:53 am

I had used the Feedback link on LUWS to ask the same question several days ago. Here is the answer I just got back:

The multiple notifications represent the number of ind or groups that the email was sent to.

MSR Support Staff -bmg
That's fine, but I sent out to two groups and got seven email notifications. I still think this is a bug in LUWS.

mkmurray

Postby mkmurray » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:19 pm

SingerGuy59 wrote:That's fine, but I sent out to two groups and got seven email notifications. I still think this is a bug in LUWS.

It was mentioned before that ISP could be the problem. I wonder if some data could be collected (what ISP you have and how many email notifications you get).

SingerGuy

Postby SingerGuy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:01 am

mkmurray wrote:It was mentioned before that ISP could be the problem. I wonder if some data could be collected (what ISP you have and how many email notifications you get).

The next time I have to send out an announcement or calendar event I'll save the messages I get back and take a hard look in the headers and see what I can learn.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:52 pm

I know it has been a while since this thread started but is anybody (BradO. or SingerGuy59) still having a problem with multiple e-mails announcing scheduled events or from e-mail broadcasts?

As a web administrator identified to receive e-mail notifications of submissions to the web calendar I receive one event notification for each group selected in the event submittal. All the other extraneous e-mail notifications I used to get have disappeared. I assume they fixed the original problem.

brado426

Postby brado426 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:58 pm

jdlessley wrote:I know it has been a while since this thread started but is anybody (BradO. or SingerGuy59) still having a problem with multiple e-mails announcing scheduled events or from e-mail broadcasts?

As a web administrator identified to receive e-mail notifications of submissions to the web calendar I receive one event notification for each group selected in the event submittal. All the other extraneous e-mail notifications I used to get have disappeared. I assume they fixed the original problem.

I'm still in standby mode waiting for someone to send another announcement. No one has sent an announcement out for awhile. I'll let you know as soon as they do and whether the problem still exhibits itself.

Brad O.

SingerGuy

Postby SingerGuy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:17 pm

I'm still waiting on someone to post something that needs to be broadcast as well. I'll definitely give feedback here "either way" when it happens.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”