Page 1 of 1

Other Stake Accesses

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:21 am
by twheeler
We have a situation which I believe isn't totally unique, but we can't find a non-manual solution for.

We share our building with another ward in a neighboring Stake. The building is in our Stake boundaries, and so our Bishop is the agent Bishop, and thus we assume many of the primary responsibilities for the buildings care. One of which is the Resource Calendar and we currently coordinate manually(email) with the other Stake rep so they know what is on our resource calendar for use of the building.

Is it possible to grant access to our Stake or Ward website to a member of a Ward (or Stake) that is not in our Stake? If not, it would be a nice feature addition. At least to a representative or group of representatives from another Stake (or Ward in another Stake).

Any ideas?

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:29 am
by mkmurray
tom wrote:We have a situation which I believe isn't totally unique, but we can't find a non-manual solution for.

We share our building with another ward in a neighboring Stake. The building is in our Stake boundaries, and so our Bishop is the agent Bishop, and thus we assume many of the primary responsibilities for the buildings care. One of which is the Resource Calendar and we currently coordinate manually(email) with the other Stake rep so they know what is on our resource calendar for use of the building.

Is it possible to grant access to our Stake or Ward website to a member of a Ward (or Stake) that is not in our Stake? If not, it would be a nice feature addition. At least to a representative or group of representatives from another Stake (or Ward in another Stake).

Any ideas?

This may partly answer your question:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=819

In summary, an individual can only be a member of one LUWS (Local Unit Web Sites) site at a time...I think. This Non-Resident Member would see your ward's homepage instead of their own when they log in though. They may still maintain privilages to their own ward's site and then just have to navigate to their own ward every time, but I'm not totally sure.

It seems like this current workaround is pretty sloppy and not as effective as one would hope.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:32 am
by aebrown
mkmurray wrote:This may partly answer your question:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=819

In summary, an individual can only be a member of one LUWS (Local Unit Web Sites) site at a time...I think. This Non-Resident Member would see your ward's homepage instead of their own when they log in though. They may still maintain privilages to their own ward's site and then just have to navigate to their own ward every time, but I'm not totally sure.

It seems like this current workaround is pretty sloppy and not as effective as one would hope.


Actually, a person who is a Non-Resident Member of one stake's LUWS still maintains full privileges to his home stake's LUWS. So it's not accurate to say that they "can only be a member of one LUWS at a time." They will default to the non-resident stake's home page when they login to the LUWS system, but they can always navigate back to their home stake and do everything they could do before they were added as a NRM to the other stake.

I don't see what is so sloppy about this implementation. You get access to both stakes' LUWS, which is exactly what is needed. The system has to pick some page for you to land on when you login, and it makes sense that if you have a calling in another stake, that is where you are most likely to want to operate. I can see how you might prefer to land on your home ward's page, but otherwise the implementation seems fine to me.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:42 am
by mkmurray
Alan_Brown wrote:Actually, a person who is a Non-Resident Member of one stake's LUWS still maintains full privileges to his home stake's LUWS. So it's not accurate to say that they "can only be a member of one LUWS at a time." They will default to the non-resident stake's home page when they login to the LUWS system, but they can always navigate back to their home stake and do everything they could do before they were added as a NRM to the other stake.

I don't see what is so sloppy about this implementation. You get access to both stakes' LUWS, which is exactly what is needed. The system has to pick some page for you to land on when you login, and it makes sense that if you have a calling in another stake, that is where you are most likely to want to operate. I can see how you might prefer to land on your home ward's page, but otherwise the implementation seems fine to me.

Well it doesn't sound so sloppy now that you have given an nice, thorough explanation of how it works. :)

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:44 am
by russellhltn
I think the problem is that one can't be a Non-Resident Member of more then one stake. Not an issue in this case, but it is an issue for some.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:12 pm
by twheeler
So would it be true to say that if this person is in another Stake it is not possible to add them as a "Non-Resident Member"?

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:17 pm
by mkmurray
tom wrote:So would it be true to say that if this person is in another Stake it is not possible to add them as a "Non-Resident Member"?

No, the opposite is true. A Non-Resident Member is designed for people not originally from your Stake. You just cannot add them as Non-Resident Member to one Stake, and then some other Stake also try to add that same member as a Non-Resident Member of their Stake as well.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:41 pm
by twheeler
excellent.. that makes sense.

From what I understand; I need to add them in MLS, then on the LUWS? If so, does this happen on the Ward MLS or the Stake MLS, and on the Ward LUWS or Stake LUWS?

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:55 pm
by russellhltn
tom wrote:From what I understand; I need to add them in MLS, then on the LUWS? If so, does this happen on the Ward MLS or the Stake MLS, and on the Ward LUWS or Stake LUWS?


No, just LUWS - at the Stake level.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:44 pm
by crislapi
tom wrote:excellent.. that makes sense.

From what I understand; I need to add them in MLS, then on the LUWS? If so, does this happen on the Ward MLS or the Stake MLS, and on the Ward LUWS or Stake LUWS?


As always, the stake LUWS admin will need their membership number and confirmation date to add them. They will also need to be assigned to one of the wards in your stake (in case one makes more sense than another, like one of the ones that actually meets in the shared building).

Once they have been added as a non-resident member they can be made LUWS administrators in your stake (so as a resource administrator over the shared resource) if that is desired. They can also be added to your leadership directory if that is desirable. They will also show up in the ward directory of whatever ward they have been assigned to, although if that is an issue you could probably set it so they don't show up at all. I'm not sure if this will affect their home ward listing as well, though.