Page 1 of 3

Display of long stake/ward names

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:33 am
by dmaynes
This member is assigned as a non-resident member in the BYU 136th Ward. By the way, the main page for this ward website has a display error. https://secure.lds.org/units/home/1,9781,600-1-7-126616,00.html?. The stake name is "sqwunched" up (or scrunched) beneath the ward name in the upper left hand corner. It looks really odd.

Thanks,
Dennis

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:13 pm
by russellhltn
dmaynes wrote:This member is assigned as a non-resident member in the BYU 136th Ward. By the way, the main page for this ward website has a display error. https://secure.lds.org/units/home/1,9781,600-1-7-126616,00.html?. The stake name is "sqwunched" up (or scrunched) beneath the ward name in the upper left hand corner. It looks really odd.


Looks fine to me (IE7, 1024x768 video, 100% zoom) The stake name is in smaller letters but is underneath the ward name.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:21 pm
by lajackson
dmaynes wrote:BYU 136th Ward. By the way, the main page for this ward website has a display error. https://secure.lds.org/units/home/1,9781,600-1-7-126616,00.html?. The stake name is "sqwunched" up (or scrunched) beneath the ward name in the upper left hand corner. It looks really odd.


Same for me. I think the combination of the two-line ward name and two-line stake name are smashing some boundaries. In any event, in FireFox 3 the two lines of the stake are almost written over each other.

I wonder if there are any other two-line ward and two-line stake names we could play with.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:33 pm
by dmaynes
lajackson wrote:Same for me. I think the combination of the two-line ward name and two-line stake name are smashing some boundaries. In any event, in FireFox 3 the two lines of the stake are almost written over each other.

I wonder if there are any other two-line ward and two-line stake names we could play with.


Try these:
https://secure.lds.org/units/home/1,9781,600-1-7-443670,00.html
https://secure.lds.org/units/home/1,9781,600-1-7-146889,00.html
https://secure.lds.org/units/home/1,9781,600-1-7-160954,00.html
https://secure.lds.org/units/home/1,9781,600-1-7-218545,00.html

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:45 pm
by lajackson


All of these links have the same problem in FF 3. The ward name is ok, even up to three lines. But, the second line of the stake overwrites the first line in every case.

The first link is really cool with the foreign characters (that I cannot see but can tell are there).

And lastly, someone needs to let the SL Univ 1st Stake know that they have a glaring typo on their home page. Click on the 3rd link, then click on the name of the "sqwunched" (I like that word) stake.

The welcome headline is goofed. I cannot send a feedback directly because I am not a member of the stake, and you cannot provide feedback unless you are logged in.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:56 pm
by lajackson
lajackson wrote:. . . someone needs to let the SL Univ 1st Stake know that they have a glaring typo on their home page.


I just sent an e-mail to the stake clerk. It is a connected world. [grin]

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:28 pm
by russellhltn
[quote="lajackson"][/QUOTE]

"Universtiry"? The quality of education nowadays. :rolleyes:

See the attachment on how the ward/stake name appears to me.

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:21 am
by AileneRHerrick
RussellHltn wrote:"Universtiry"? The quality of education nowadays. :rolleyes:

See the attachment on how the ward/stake name appears to me.


Your image looks fine to me... did you see it as fine or "scrunched"?

Ailene

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:19 am
by mkmurray
AileneRHerrick wrote:Your image looks fine to me... did you see it as fine or "scrunched"?

Ailene

RussellHltn wasn't the one exhibiting the problem, it was lajackson.

Scrunched in FF 2

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:39 am
by rmrichesjr
(... jumping in to the middle of the thread ...)

Here's how it looks to me on Firefox 2.0.0.20 on Mandriva Linux 2009.0 at 105dpi screen resolution. The Japanese characters look fine to me, even if I have forgotten most of the more complex Kanji.