2010 Lesson Schedules

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:In the past the complete lesson schedule for the year's leasons was provided to include lesson titles. When that was done there are links to the lds.org lesson.
That's correct, for both SS and RS/Priesthood lessons. The administrator has to select each lesson for each date, but he chooses from a dropdown list that has all the lesson titles in it. There has been no change in this behavior.
jdlessley wrote:When the administrator makes changes, or in this case populates the entire schedule, then those links are lost. Or is that only the Priesthood and Relief Society lesson schedule that is done that way? I can't remember.
I don't understand what you are saying. The administrator can make changes to the lesson schedule, and the links are not lost. Of course, if he selects a different lesson, it will now link to the new lesson, but no link is lost. This behavior is the same for SS and RS/Priesthood lessons.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:In the past the complete lesson schedule for the year's leasons was provided to include lesson titles. When that was done there are links to the lds.org lesson. When the administrator makes changes, or in this case populates the entire schedule, then those links are lost. Or is that only the Priesthood and Relief Society lesson schedule that is done that way? I can't remember.
In the beginning, there is no schedule. Someone has to enter it. Until then, it's all "none selected".

If the admin selects a lesson from the drop-down list, then there is a link - but only when you look at it from "user mode".

I seem to remember some folks trying to create links for lessons not found in the drop-down list, such as for the 4th Sunday lesson which is usually taken from General Conference, but I don't remember the details and I don't know as they were editable without messing them up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

OK. I didn't take the extra step to click the "Change" button to see the dropdown list. The behaviors between the Gospel Doctrine schedule and the Priesthood/Relief Society schedule is what caught me off guard. There are no links in the Priesthood/Relief Society schedule while there are in the Gospel Doctrine schedule.

It has been a few years since I did the schedules and they have changed from the manner in which they were done then.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:The behaviors between the Gospel Doctrine schedule and the Priesthood/Relief Society schedule is what caught me off guard. There are no links in the Priesthood/Relief Society schedule while there are in the Gospel Doctrine schedule.
I don't see this. The only difference between Gospel Doctrine and Priesthood/RS lesson schedules is that Gospel Doctrine is administered at the ward level, and Priesthood/RS is at the stake level. Both have links to the lesson content when viewed from the user pages (blue pages), and neither one has links to the lesson content when viewed from the admin pages (green pages).
kisaac
Community Moderators

Give back some flexibility to the wards...

Post by kisaac »

Alan_Brown wrote:The only difference between Gospel Doctrine and Priesthood/RS lesson schedules is that Gospel Doctrine is administered at the ward level, and Priesthood/RS is at the stake level. .
Slightly off topic.... but why the need for the stake to have 100 control here...yes, it is their decision. Can't I do it, as local admin., following their direction? Why can't an override be given to the ward on the stake directed PS/RS lesson schedule? For example, the stake has directed the bishop to choose the topic of the 4th sunday instruction in my stake, and their lesson schedule directs it as such, but we cannot enter said chosen topic in the schedule (replacing the words "teachings for our times" with the actual conference talk so people can study it) because it is "stake" directed. Is it really such a need to have 100% stake control in a matter such as the Priesthood and RS Lesson schedule on MY ward website? Last year the stake was a month late entering their schedule, so every ward had a blank list until feb... We couldn't fill it in ourselves.... I've been given correct principles, could I now govern myself and be trusted to follow stake direction with their lesson schedule, but be given the flexibility (an override option, for example) to enter the correct lesson chosen by our bishop for that fourth Sunday?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kisaac wrote:Slightly off topic.... but why the need for the stake to have 100 control here...yes, it is their decision. Can't I do it, as local admin., following their direction? Why can't an override be given to the ward on the stake directed PS/RS lesson schedule? For example, the stake has directed the bishop to choose the topic of the 4th sunday instruction in my stake, and their lesson schedule directs it as such, but we cannot enter said chosen topic in the schedule (replacing the words "teachings for our times" with the actual conference talk so people can study it) because it is "stake" directed. Is it really such a need to have 100% stake control in a matter such as the Priesthood and RS Lesson schedule on MY ward website? Last year the stake was a month late entering their schedule, so every ward had a blank list until feb... We couldn't fill it in ourselves.... I've been given correct principles, could I now govern myself and be trusted to follow stake direction with their lesson schedule, but be given the flexibility (an override option, for example) to enter the correct lesson chosen by our bishop for that fourth Sunday?
I don't think it is a matter of there being "a need to have 100% stake control"; rather, the current way it works was simpler to implement.

This has been discussed at some length previously in this forum. See here and here, for example. So you're not alone in your wishes.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

kisaac wrote:? For example, the stake has directed the bishop to choose the topic of the 4th sunday instruction in my stake, and their lesson schedule directs it as such, but we cannot enter said chosen topic in the schedule (replacing the words "teachings for our times" with the actual conference talk so people can study it) because it is "stake" directed.

I post the TFOT lesson each month on the home page under "Additional Web Resources" along with the VT/HT lessons for the month, all with links to the original source material. This has the added advantage of being able to access these lessons without logging in so even those not registered can find the lessons.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”