Bold Ward Events

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dsinema-p40

Bold Ward Events

Post by dsinema-p40 »

I apologize if this has been suggested before, I did add it to the features list for the next-gen LUWS. It would be nice if there where an option to bold ward events (instead of just color) so that when the web based calendar is printed out (in B&W) the ward events would visually distinguish themselves. It is a little difficult to determine sometimes what is a stake event or ward event. It would be nice if that could be enhanced on the current LUWS, but I understand if it is not possible. Thanks.
pbarrus

Post by pbarrus »

dsinema wrote:I apologize if this has been suggested before, I did add it to the features list for the next-gen LUWS. It would be nice if there where an option to bold ward events (instead of just color) so that when the web based calendar is printed out (in B&W) the ward events would visually distinguish themselves. It is a little difficult to determine sometimes what is a stake event or ward event. It would be nice if that could be enhanced on the current LUWS, but I understand if it is not possible. Thanks.
Yes, this is possible. You just have to know a little html coding. Another idea to go along with this is putting the Ward activities in all capitals. Here's an example of bolding the title of the activity when you type it into the title box:

<b>Combined YM/YW</b>

<b> starts the bolding
</b> stops the bolding

You will have to do this to every Ward activity to differentiate it.

If someone else submits the activity, you will have to add the html before you approve it or else go back and edit the title after you approve it.

Go to the administrative side of the LUWS and click on the help link in the upper right hand corner. Some simple html coding instruction is included in that help section.

Phyl
dsinema-p40

Post by dsinema-p40 »

I guess I should have clarified, I realized you can do that but it gets a bit tedious. So I was hoping there was an option. Oh, well...
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Phyl wrote:Yes, this is possible. You just have to know a little html coding.
What other HTML coding works? Italics? colors? links?

(PS> our stake learned the "bold" trick, so If we bolded our events, they would look like their bolded events...)
kisaac
Community Moderators

Ward events "lost" in sea of stake events? try trick!

Post by kisaac »

dsinema wrote:It would be nice if there where an option to bold ward events (instead of just color) so that when the web based calendar is printed out (in B&W) the ward events would visually distinguish themselves. It is a little difficult to determine sometimes what is a stake event or ward event.
I know you are talking about a B&W photocopied monthly ward calendar printed off LUWS. It's the one you hand out at ward council, or include in a monthly bulletin handed out at fast-offering collection times...all events (ward and stake) look the same. Calendar can become gibberish.

I've tried:
1) Manually highlighting each ward event on every copy with a yellow marker! (don't do this-carpal tunnel)
2) printing the required number of copies in color from my own printer (don't do this, as ink is twice the cost of gold.)
3) I put "WARD EVENT" on some descriptions to try and solve this problem. Perhaps I'll bold and capitalize them as well, as suggested in this thread.

I've gone even further and suggested the ward members have an option of just displaying and printing ward events, so members use a true "ward" calendar, and discussed this here.

TRICK: I've since discovered the way to make a photocopied "true" ward calendar...just print the ward calendar from the LUWS ward admin's "calendar" page, (the green pages.) Use top right button "format for printing," first, of course.
NO STAKE EVENTS SHOW! Hurray! Photocopy at will...No need to bold your ward events! (I'm sure my stake (and all stake admins in this forum,) would be horrified to discover a lowly ward clerk shut them off, at least for B&w copies of the calendar. :))

Unfortunately, the "biggie" stake events don't show then, either, like stake conference, or that 7am stake Priesthood meeting. The bishop did ask me last week why stake conference was listed twice on our ward calendar website, once as a stake event, once as a ward event! I'm not sure he fully understood... Also, there is no "export" button from the ward admin's calendar page (should be under the "format for printing" button,) so you can't export only ward events. I've got a work-around for that as well.

The bigger problem: Our stake has added volumes of events, (youth sports schedules, weekly addiction recovery program times, etc) and they all show up on our ward calendar. Some are actually incorrect. It really buries our ward events, limiting the usefulness of our own "ward calendar" for the average ward member, even when they both are viewed on your computer screen in a different color.

I know, talk to the stake...

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”