Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
Locked
User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Ooh ooh ooh! I LOVE this idea! CHQ, please take note!!!

The idea I'm referring to is the idea of a modular ward website. Someone suggested having different modules that can be turned "on" or "off" for different auxilliaries, etc...
User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Post by AileneRHerrick »

I really like this idea.
User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Post by mkmurray »

AileneRHerrick wrote:Ooh ooh ooh! I LOVE this idea! CHQ, please take note!!!
Your posts are not clearly stating what posts you are responding to. If you were to include a quote of the quote you are responding to, it would be helpful.

There is a button on each post called "Quick Reply to Message"; when you click this you jump to the bottom of the page where you are able to post a reply in a text box. Under that text box is a check box that says "Quote message in reply?" and you want to check that.

Also there is an ability to edit your previous posts if you want to make clarifications to your already posted comments.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31139
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Post by russellhltn »

AileneRHerrick wrote:Another idea would not to necessarily override it, but to be able to add a comment on it.
In our stake we time shift the programs. At minimum we need to amend the time. As for the YM and RS broadcasts, we show them on Sunday (not Saturday when they are broadcast), so we need to move the event to a different day.

As LUWS is expanded to the world, this is going to become a bigger issue because of all the time zones involved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Thanks for the tip! I will try to utilize that in my posts. Sorry for the newbie mess... :eek:
mkmurray wrote:Your posts are not clearly stating what posts you are responding to. If you were to include a quote of the quote you are responding to, it would be helpful.

There is a button on each post called "Quick Reply to Message"; when you click this you jump to the bottom of the page where you are able to post a reply in a text box. Under that text box is a check box that says "Quote message in reply?" and you want to check that.

Also there is an ability to edit your previous posts if you want to make clarifications to your already posted comments.
User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Post by AileneRHerrick »

I LOVE this idea! I'm including the quote this time so everyone knows what I'm talking about. :)
macsense wrote:I'm envisioning a modular LUWS 2.0 where the ward admin can turn on sections for various auxiliaries as requested. Let's say the RS wants to really go all out with their information on the web site. The ward admin can turn on the RS section in LUWS 2.0 and then turn on different aspects of the RS section as requested such as RS leadership, RS calendar, RS news & downloads, RS email lists, etc. When someone enters an event in the RS calendar, they have the option of having it show up on the main ward calendar as well. Same with news & information. Each auxiliary would have their own admin(s) for their section.

If the EQ doesn't want to participate right now, their section isn't turned on by the ward admin and therefore a link for it doesn't show up on the ward home page.

The same would go for the stake web site as well for various auxiliaries. The stake admin can turn on sections for stake auxiliaries.
dmaynes
Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:50 am
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Birthday Calendar

Post by dmaynes »

tomw wrote:We are gathering all of these suggestions and giving them to the "decision-makers" for their review. There currently is no "official feature request" page so this forum will have to do.

Tom
It would be nice if the Ward Calendar had the ability to layer-in individual's birthdays. I'm not sure how hard it would be to do, but definitely it would be nice to filter the birthdays by organization. For example, the Primary presidency can see the birthdays on the calendar for primary children.

The concept is discussed in this post:http://tech.lds.org/forum/showpost.php? ... stcount=22

Right now, in order to create the birthday list that I have posted to the News/Information Section, I use the following procedure:
1- Go to the page where callings can be entered.
2- Create a dummy calling and use as the member's name "A"
3- View source and extract the code
4- Repeat for all letters
5- Filter the extracted code to make the birthday list
6- Post the filtered birthday list (two months) to the News/Information Section

It takes about 20 minutes to do this.It takes more than 20 minutes of my time to to get this information from a clerk. That's why I use this rather arcane procedure.

Thanks,
Dennis
User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Post by AileneRHerrick »

dmaynes wrote:It would be nice if the Ward Calendar had the ability to layer-in individual's birthdays. I'm not sure how hard it would be to do, but definitely it would be nice to filter the birthdays by organization. For example, the Primary presidency can see the birthdays on the calendar for primary children.

This may have been covered before... but I have a question. How would you handle those who did not want their birthday displayed? Would you just delete them by hand? Or is it an idea to have a section where the members can check for their birthday to not be displayed, or a section where the Web Administrator can check to not display that information (like in the same place where they opt not to show an address).
dmaynes
Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:50 am
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Post by dmaynes »

AileneRHerrick wrote:This may have been covered before... but I have a question. How would you handle those who did not want their birthday displayed? Would you just delete them by hand?
I manually extract the birthday list and import it into Excel for building the list that I want displayed. I use some conditional logic to insert the "(age x)" item. I then save the file as a tab delimited file so that I can load it into Notepad and copy and paste the relevant section into the News/Information item.

The final News/Information item has the title "Happy Birthday!" and the entries look like this:

12/8 C..., H... K... (age 8)
12/8 C..., H... M...
12/9 S..., S... D... (age 3)
12/10 G..., C... K...
12/10 G..., R...

I display ages for those under the age of 20. After that, I don't display the age. I believe most people would be good sports about letting people know when their birthday is, as long as we don't disclose the age. This is very similar to the birthday list produced by MLS.

I also cut out the birthdays one week in advance when I send out my weekly e-mail broadcast to the ward with events, lessons, birthdays, and other items.

If someone notices and requests that their birthdate not be shown, I will manually edit it out as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Dennis
User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Sounds good!

Post by AileneRHerrick »

dmaynes wrote:I display ages for those under the age of 20. After that, I don't display the age. I believe most people would be good sports about letting people know when their birthday is, as long as we don't disclose the age. This is very similar to the birthday list produced by MLS.

I also cut out the birthdays one week in advance when I send out my weekly e-mail broadcast to the ward with events, lessons, birthdays, and other items.

Sounds like it could be a useful tool! Growing up, I remember a lady that would send birthday cards to everyone in the ward on their birthdays.
Locked

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”