Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Edward Lalone wrote:My number one request is to be able to change the groups on the Leadership directory and to add our own custom callings and groups and remove those we don't use in the ward. As a Student Singles ward we have no need for the Young Men, Young Women or Primary groups but we do have a lot of Ward Committees and it would be nice to be able to add a custom group, add ward members to it and then be able to email that group. :)

There are two ways that this can be approached. Directly from MLS when we integrate MLS into the Church websites or as a feature on the Ward websites or as I suggest both since not all ward website administrators will have access to MLS.

Ahhh! Now we're talking! Do you have a food king or queen? One ward that I went to gave those titles to the break thefast committee chairperson. :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Edward Lalone wrote:My number one request is to be able to change the groups on the Leadership directory and to add our own custom callings and groups
Custom callings are already permitted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
preston.baxter

Time Zones

Post by preston.baxter »

Alan_Brown wrote:The Church calendar has a Worldwide Leadership Training Broadcast on February 9. However, there is no time specified (since it is shown at 8 different times during the day, and stakes are in a variety of time zones).

Why note make it possible for a stake admin simply designate the local time zone, and then all churchwide events could display in local time?

Preston
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

scion wrote:How is who spoke in Sacrament meeting private? Or ward bulletin details private? Why couldn't the ward bulletins be placed on the ward website, anyhow? That would be particularly helpful to people who are unable to attend church each week. Perhaps other data the Exec Sec wishes to share with the bishopric is sensitive, but not these items. Who refuses to speak or is too long-winded, now that's another question. :p

Agreed that a list of who spoke when on what topic isn't necessarily sensitive. But that particular file also contains potential planning topics, contemplated future speaking assignments, a limited amount of personal information related to speaking assignments, and more. It's not so much that the list is sensitive, just not overly useful to anyone outside the bishopric. However I wouldn't want just ANYONE to have access and go mucking around in there.

Also on the bulletins ... the information is useful, but the Word document I use to prepare the double-fold would make it somewhat difficult to really use. It's not a bad idea to make the INFORMATION available somehow. I'll have to give that some more thought.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

preston.baxter wrote:
Alan_Brown wrote:The Church calendar has a Worldwide Leadership Training Broadcast on February 9. However, there is no time specified (since it is shown at 8 different times during the day, and stakes are in a variety of time zones).

Why not make it possible for a stake admin simply designate the local time zone, and then all churchwide events could display in local time?
This suggestion might work in some cases, but as I indicated, many Church events are broadcast at multiple times, and so for a particular stake, it's not simply a matter of time zone adjustment -- they actually pick a different broadcast. It's impossible to have a single broadcast time work in Samoa and Chicago and Berlin by simply setting the time zone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:This suggestion might work in some cases, but as I indicated, many Church events are broadcast at multiple times, and so for a particular stake, it's not simply a matter of time zone adjustment -- they actually pick a different broadcast. It's impossible to have a single broadcast time work in Samoa and Chicago and Berlin by simply setting the time zone.
And that's not even accounting for those that do local time-shifting (via VCR).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan_Brown wrote:This suggestion might work in some cases, but as I indicated, many Church events are broadcast at multiple times, and so for a particular stake, it's not simply a matter of time zone adjustment -- they actually pick a different broadcast. It's impossible to have a single broadcast time work in Samoa and Chicago and Berlin by simply setting the time zone.
This is why some suggestions have been made by others to allow stakes and even wards to edit or block an event pushed down to the stake/ward calendar. It clutters the calendar with multiple event titles for the same event because the stake has chosen to post the prefered viewing time for a Church broadcast on the stake calendar.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:This is why some suggestions have been made by others to allow stakes and even wards to edit or block an event pushed down to the stake/ward calendar. It clutters the calendar with multiple event titles for the same event because the stake has chosen to post the prefered viewing time for a Church broadcast on the stake calendar.
Ah, the memories. I made that precise suggestion on my 17th post on LDSTech well over a year ago.
rsmith06

Post by rsmith06 »

I was thinking more towards something like reactivation or welfare efforts--something that is sensitive in nature but needs to be accessible (anywhere; no restrictions on time accessed or location) by ward leadership. My bishop now want's to get a list of all the talents and skills available in the ward in order to have a repository of this info when a ward member needs help (think welfare and service opportunities). This kind of list should be available securely online so ward leadership can take care of needs more immediately.
Rob
Elders Quorum Secretary
Formerly Assistant Ward Clerk (Membership)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I have been thinking about the e-mail problem from the administrator point of view. If the member does not cooperate, the only method available now to solve the bounced e-mail problem is to inactivate the entire account.

Recommendation:

Allow the administrator to flag an e-mail address as not functioning.

Expected results:

LUWS would not send a message to a flagged e-mail address.

At the next login, the user would be told that the e-mail address had been flagged. The user would change the e-mail address.

I would allow the user to unflag an e-mail address without changing it if the user felt the e-mail address was correct. The user and the admin could then play tennis with feedback to CHQ on the problem of spam-appearing e-mail and its handling by various ISPs.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”