Encouraging Members to Use Unit Websites

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

scion wrote:I would like to see guest logins made available to church members. This would be helpful in the following situations:
- A YSA who sometimes attends a YSA ward and sometimes a family ward. Because records can only reside in one ward, the YSA members cannot login to see the calendar and ward/stake lists unless the YSA and family wards are in the same stake.
- Single adult members are often in the same situation as YSA members.
- Multilingual individuals (or students of another language) who would like to attend meetings/activities from time to time, such as ASL students attending a deaf ward.
- Individuals who reside in more than one place, such as snowbirds, or folks whose business or pleasure travel causes them to have multiple "home" wards.

It seems to me that a member of the bishopric or their designee should be able to allow for this. I have no idea how to implement it from a tech standpoint, but would use it if available to me.

Need not fear there is a non-resident option that you can give to YSA or other types of people.

BillyBoJimBob gave a good explination of it:
BillyBoJimBob wrote:Contact:
Each Stake or Ward administrator has the option of providing a phone number under the physical address on the unit's home page. Usually, this is the unit's office phone number. Since mail can usually not be accepted at the church house (No official mail stop), this leaves only the content the administrator choses to leave on the unit's home page as a contact resource.

Non-Resident:
Member's can currently be setup to be able to sign in to up to two units: their home ward and any LUWS-participating ward or branch. The "Non-Resident" member option has to be entered by the non-resident stake administrator.

This is most commonly done for married leaders of YSA (Young Single Adult) wards or branches whose home ward is not usually within the boundaries of the YSA unit. Students and service missionaries also find this useful.

Functionality is limited to only the home ward and one non-resident ward. This will not be changed until the Stake and Ward Web Site is redesigned.
- David
kristacook-p40

Miscommunication

Post by kristacook-p40 »

Edward Lalone wrote:I don't think it appropriate to give Home Teacher's access to confirmation dates and membership numbers. I am not sure what the policy of the Church is on this but I would hope that Ward Clerks have been trained to keep this information private and to release it only to the Bishopric and the member.

Edward Lalone
I'm a bit annoyed that my comment was interpreted and the interpretation was attributed to me. I don't think Home Teacher's should have access to this information either, but, perhaps they can deliver a sealed envelope? Home Teachers could deliver information inviting members to utilize the web site when they make their regular visits. The information could include how members could find the information in their own records, how to get it from the Ward Clerk etc. You'd be surprised how many people don't know who the Ward Clerk is. I don't know how many times I've sat in Sacrament and the Bishop tells people to contact the Ward Clerk for something and I have no idea who he is. Couldn't the Bishop have the man stand up occasionally so those of us who are out of the communication loop or just plain new would know who he is? New members or new converts don't always have a ward roster either. I wish all new Members got a quick visit from someone in leadership when they first arrive in the ward so they have some of this basic info. As a lifetime Mormon all I need is access to the information and I know who to go to and for what. But, when I have nothing, I have to call the Bishop/Branch President because that is the only person I am aware of or have contact information for. This is a perennial problem and the Bishop/Branch President gets overworked.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Wonderful! I'll look into that. Is it also available to our non-member cubscouts, boyscouts, and long-term visitors (i.e.: teens whose parents allow church participation, but forbid baptism)? My ward currently has all of these situations.
showseason-p40

Ward Website Training, Linger Longer

Post by showseason-p40 »

Our ward is meeting in the third slot this year, 1 pm to 4 pm. On the 5th Sundays we will be having a Linger Longer event nafter church. A light meal and a short program from primary and some displays. I will be setting up my laptop and showing people what the ward website looks like, instructing them on how to sign up, and explaining the benefits of using the site. I was able to convince our bishop to use the ward website calendar as the official ward calendar and I am pleased to report many leaders are utilizing it.

I will report back after this Sunday to let you all know how it went.

Al
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

showseason wrote:Our ward is meeting in the third slot this year, 1 pm to 4 pm. On the 5th Sundays we will be having a Linger Longer event nafter church. A light meal and a short program from primary and some displays. I will be setting up my laptop and showing people what the ward website looks like, instructing them on how to sign up, and explaining the benefits of using the site. I was able to convince our bishop to use the ward website calendar as the official ward calendar and I am pleased to report many leaders are utilizing it.

I will report back after this Sunday to let you all know how it went.

Al

So how did it go? Anyway this is a great idea.
- David
showseason-p40

Post by showseason-p40 »

thedqs wrote:So how did it go? Anyway this is a great idea.
The training at the Linger Longer event went better than I had hoped. I signed up six more members and gave out at least a dozen handouts explaining how a person could sign up themselves at home. The ward clerk was handy to get members membership number and confirmation date too. I was very happy with the results. Some were signed up but really did not know how to use the site, so I explained that as well.

Looking this morning there are 52 ward members signed uip.

Al
thomasjking

us old people

Post by thomasjking »

In our small branch I do several "jobs":
Web site admin, Genealogy, and if you call me I will try and help with your computer problems.

I see a problem, so what to do?
Problem: Just getting people to use the site and also using "lds.og" and or "family search" is a new idea for some people.
Solution: I have found that if I walk people to the clerks office and help them get the info for signing on to the sites that it gets done.
One fellow said that he felt that computer stuff was "girl stuff." You can see me beating my head against wall.

I am working with our new branch clerk to keep membership info up to date. And so far so good.

I have also found that I must be bold: Calling people for info to put in the site then when they see it they are happy. It is just something else they don't have to do.:)
charly3358-p40

Overseas Ward sites

Post by charly3358-p40 »

Does anyone know when the church will allow Stake and Ward sites worldwide, but especially in the developed world?

I know we are seen as more laid back here but we're not too far behind things.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

From previous conversations we have gathered that the entire LUWS system is being redone for that purpose. Also we know that this revamping is going to take a long time due to the many upgrades that the church is trying to do to their other sites. But LUWSs are comming to a nation near you. :D
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote:From previous conversations we have gathered that the entire LUWS system is being redone for that purpose. Also we know that this revamping is going to take a long time due to the many upgrades that the church is trying to do to their other sites. But LUWSs are comming to a nation near you. :D
In addition, we are looking at ways to get the community involved as part of the development.

Tom

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”