How do I create a Temple Prep course?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
trentmortensen

How do I create a Temple Prep course?

Postby trentmortensen » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:48 pm

We just called a Temple Prep instructor, but I see no option for adding a course for Temple Prep or a default place to put this calling, so we currently have them in Gospel Doctrine. There must be a better way. Any advice?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How do I create a Temple Prep course?

Postby russellhltn » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:19 pm

Temple Prep is not part of Sunday School, nor is it held at the same time. (General Handbook 25.2.8) It's under the direction of the bishop, so you might want to look outside of Sunday School for the standard positions. It might be under Family History, since that's how it's found in the Handbook.

But even so, I don't believe there are any electronic/cyber keys to the calling, nor is the roll recorded for any statistical purpose. So I don't know as there's any issue with either a custom calling or keeping the classes "off the books".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

BrianEdwards

Postby BrianEdwards » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:30 pm

As the Handbook does state that the Bishopric "calls" the temple preparation instructor(s), I agree that it would be good to have this calling visibly assigned -- as opposed to an "assignment", which wouldn't appear anywhere. I'd go ahead and create a Custom Calling wherever you feel it's best (under SS, Temple/FamHist, Other Callings).

As stated, these classes occur under the Bishop's direction, so regardless of wherever it's placed, he's the one that remains in charge of things.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:17 pm

Someone with access to the system might be able to find a standard calling. It's just that based on the Handbook, I would not expect to find it under "Sunday School", or any other class system that's intended for the second hour.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”