Phone numbers and e-mail addresses

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rexgj wrote:the area code is critical, and MLS needs to allow for this reality.
I agree, but MLS already allows for this. Every phone number in our stake includes an area code. So I don't understand what you would like to have changed, unless perhaps your ward or stake has not yet chosen to enter area codes with each phone number. But that is not an MLS limitation -- your clerks just need to fix the phone number data on the membership records.
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

Yes, it is a reality as MLS allows for this. The clerks in our ward has done exactly what you said needs to happen . . . fix the telephone number to have an area code in all cases. It would be nice, however, if a template enforced the format of the telephone number that could be changed for international reasons.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

JamesAnderson wrote:While working at Sears around 2000 or so, I heard of one family in Houston who had one phone in the 713 area code, one in the 281 area code, and one in the 832 area code, so it is important to be sure you can get everything into MLS that applies.

My best friend works around the Bay Area in California and carries two cell phones because they have different area codes!
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

Thomas_Lerman wrote:Yes, it is a reality as MLS allows for this. The clerks in our ward has done exactly what you said needs to happen . . . fix the telephone number to have an area code in all cases. It would be nice, however, if a template enforced the format of the telephone number that could be changed for international reasons.

I don't think the international thing would be an issue. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the U.S. and Canada use the same version of MLS, and that version is only used in the U.S. and Canada.
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

Wow . . . I would be surprised if one version for each country or language exists. Okay, I know USA & Canada are different countries & partially different languages. Anyway, that is a good question that I look forward to the answer.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

SR Ward Clerk wrote:I don't think the international thing would be an issue. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the U.S. and Canada use the same version of MLS, and that version is only used in the U.S. and Canada.
Where would you get that idea? I don't have firsthand knowledge of what version of MLS is used in any other country outside the United States. But I do know that MLS currently supports 21 languages and they are all available in the same version as used in the U.S. and Canada. It is a simple matter to change the language by editing the MLS.properties file as described in the wiki article Changing the language setting in MLS. Of course there are a multitude of languages used within the U.S. and Canada in other language wards but I doubt that all 21 are available. We have at least two regular forum users from Italy and Brazil that have posted to discussions about the same versions of MLS used in the U.S. and Canada. What other version would they be talking about?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

That is more what I would expect . . . one version to cover most anywhere (okay, 21 languages does not cover all languages in the world).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Thomas_Lerman wrote:Wow . . . I would be surprised if one version for each country or language exists. Okay, I know USA & Canada are different countries & partially different languages. Anyway, that is a good question that I look forward to the answer.
The language is set at installation. When MLS is first installed, the area office sends down a "Locale Options" file (you can see the settings in System Options > System). This includes the format of the address.

Currently I don't think there is any formatting taking place on the phone number field. I believe Thomas_Lerman was wishing for formatting so that the numbers would appear uniform. Right now it's a free-form text field.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

Correct, on the desire for telephone number formatting.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”