Page 1 of 1

Deleting Born Under the Covenant

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:26 pm
by bradweech
We have a member in our Stake who is listed as born under the covenant, but he was not. He was baptized when he was 8 yrs old. He was not adopted by his family until he was 16. What is the proper procedure for correcting his membership record.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:00 pm
by russellhltn
I'd suggest a Special Request.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:12 pm
by lajackson
bradweech wrote:We have a member in our Stake who is listed as born under the covenant, but he was not. He was baptized when he was 8 yrs old. He was not adopted by his family until he was 16. What is the proper procedure for correcting his membership record.


Even in this situation, he still could have been born in the covenant. However, if you are certain that his birth mother was not sealed when he was born, Russell has suggested the only way I know of to change the record, using the Special Request function of MLS.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:56 pm
by russellhltn
lajackson wrote:Even in this situation, he still could have been born in the covenant.


Good point. Seems unlikely, but not impossible. But I wouldn't make any assumptions.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:31 am
by lajackson
RussellHltn wrote:Good point. Seems unlikely, but not impossible. But I wouldn't make any assumptions.


I believe that if the request is sent, it will be researched in the Membership Department before any change to the record is made.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:08 am
by russellhltn
lajackson wrote:I believe that if the request is sent, it will be researched in the Membership Department before any change to the record is made.


But unless I knew, I'd make a query, and not a request.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:55 am
by gregwanderson
Assuming the record really is wrong and needs to be changed...

Who has the responsibility to supply the corrected information? What evidence is provided by the member that the record is not correct? What is the member's current age? How long ago did the member notice the error? Did the record change recently or was it always wrong?

I'm speculating that if the member is older than, say, 45, perhaps the information was added before the church's computer systems and input methods were fully standardized. What if all other siblings in this family were born under the covenant but this one wasn't? What if the information was originally added for the whole family all at once and someone overlooked this one sibling's different status?