MLS callings updates to lds.org temporarily not available

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jirp

Re: MLS callings updates to lds.org temporarily not availabl

Post by jirp »

I have already been through the loss of all the teachers during a reset for both primary and SS so I knew ahead of time about that one. This time it didn't wipe them all out like in the past so I have been manually wiping old teachers out to get the problems removed. Knowing about surprised like this is why I printed ever single organization report in the system before doing the data refresh. It took nearly a ream of paper but even if I have to wipe nearly the entire ward clean to get this cleaned up I am ready.

The other problem when all the teachers are reset and wiped is the double entry glitch. If you enter the teachers list first and then assign them to classes you end wiping them out of the teachers list when you make the assignments.(doesn't always happen with default classes but all merged classes will screw up) To cure it you have to enter them again in the teachers list. Then you find you have the same teacher teaching a class twice. The cure for those doubles is to remove the first one in each class list.(it is critical it is the first one because if you remove the second you will find the teacher disappears from the main list again.)

Thanks for the help. Will contact someone to see about getting the rest cleaned up before I reenter the data
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jirp wrote:The other problem when all the teachers are reset and wiped is the double entry glitch. If you enter the teachers list first and then assign them to classes you end wiping them out of the teachers list when you make the assignments.(doesn't always happen with default classes but all merged classes will screw up) To cure it you have to enter them again in the teachers list. Then you find you have the same teacher teaching a class twice. The cure for those doubles is to remove the first one in each class list.(it is critical it is the first one because if you remove the second you will find the teacher disappears from the main list again.)
That sounds like the bug talked about in the MLS 3.5 - Primary teacher callings disappearing and duplicating thread. I and others found that they didn't really get wiped out, they just disappeared from certain lists. A unit refresh usually restores them. Any other discussion of that bug should probably go in that thread.
genman

Post by genman »

jirp wrote:I printed ever single organization report in the system before doing the data refresh.
Sounds like you printed several separate reports. A way to do this with a single report with much less touch labor is MLS>Organizations>Reports/Tools>Callings by Organization>Show:All>Print. That printout will be about 10 pages but is not hard to do.
jirp wrote:It took nearly a ream of paper but even if I have to wipe nearly the entire ward clean to get this cleaned up I am ready.
Something we have found very helpful as an alternative to using lots of paper on MLS output for things like reports is to install a PDF Document psuedo-printer. If you select that printer, instead of sending it to a paper printer, it just saves it as a .pdf file. By the way, that is a really handy way to send rolls to organization secretaries at the beginning of the quarter. Just print each of their rolls to a .pdf file, then send each one an email with their .pdf attached, and let them print it themselves at home. There are various version of free pdf "printers" out there, such as CutePDF and PDFCreator. Here are install instructions for one of those:

1) In a web browser, go to http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator
2) Press the Download button
3) Press the "Click to Install" button
4) Follow the prompts to download and install PDF Creator on your PC
5) Go to Start Menu > Devices and Printers
6) Right click on PDFCreator>Printing Preferences>Advanced
7) Change Paper Size to: Letter (if you live in the United States)
8) Change Post Script Options > Output Option to: Optimize for Speed

By the way, in addition to having this on the clerk computer, it is a handy thing to have on your home computer too. Being able to generate a .pdf file from anything that you can print from is a very useful, the bonus being that it is free.
genman

Post by genman »

genman wrote:Being able to generate a .pdf file from anything that you can print from is a very useful, the bonus being that it is free.
Another very useful feature of PDFCreator is that you can use it to combine "prints" from parts of several different documents into a single .pdf file. An essential tool for the toolbox. You won't remember how you got by before without it.
jirp

Post by jirp »

Thank you. I have started looking into the pdf stuff.

I was fully aware that callings by organization was most of what I needed for paper. But I needed to be sure if I had to wipe it all or if it was wiped for me that I didn't come up short some critcal piece thus I printed everything. And I have to say some of the other reports did come into play because of other problems.(in this case other reports from SS, primary and visiting teaching all had value) It was worth having everything printed as a backup plan.(although it would have been fine as a pdf)
johnstacer

Post by johnstacer »

I am new to HP quorum leadership postition and have been trying to get home teaching and callings updated. MLS and LDS.ORG data do not synch. I have asked ward clerks who posts online directory data and was told they don't know, perhaps MLS pushes data out to LDS.ORG directory. HOw does online directory get updated?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

johnstacer wrote:I am new to HP quorum leadership postition and have been trying to get home teaching and callings updated. MLS and LDS.ORG data do not synch.
LDS.org does not support home teaching and visiting teaching information. It may in the future, but that will be a long time away. So there is nothing to sync as far as HT is concerned.

Calling information should sync.
johnstacer wrote:I have asked ward clerks who posts online directory data and was told they don't know, perhaps MLS pushes data out to LDS.ORG directory. How does online directory get updated?
If by this you mean calling information, changes are made in MLS and the information flows to online resources.

If you refer to directory information (address, phone, etc.), that would be a topic different from this one, and it would be better to post your question in a more related Directory topic. This will keep the conversation from becoming confused, since callings and directory information, while related, follow different paths and have different challenges.

In fact, you might even find your question has already been answered in one of the Directory topics.
genman

Post by genman »

johnstacer wrote:MLS and LDS.ORG data do not synch
There is a known bug that causes the MLS and LDS.ORG calling data to get out of sync. It is not known when it will be fixed. But there is an inconvenient workaround.

If you find that there are discrepancies between MLS and LDS.ORG callings list, then a clerk will need to follow the workaround process to Correct Duplicate or Missing Callings.

If none of your clerks are familiar with how to do that, you may want to introduce them to this LDSTech forum. No Ward Clerk should be without it, IMO.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Can this post be unstickyed? It has not had any activity for 11 months now but is still pinned to the top of the forum.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”