russellhltn wrote:Do you have any other computers in the stake on dial-up? What version of MLS are they running?
Most recent that just released a couple of weeks ago.
russellhltn wrote:What happens if you try to use the dial-out "MLS" network connection manually? You won't get too far since you don't know the login, but it should at least dial and connect. If it can do that, then it suggests the problems are more on the MLS side then the OS/hardware side.
It dials just fine. I've even used it to call my house and the connection works.
russellhltn wrote:When you reloaded the machine, you wiped the drive rather than going on top of the old install, right?
Yup! DBAN works wonders
russellhltn wrote:Taking what you've told me, the problem either has to have been re-introduced with the reloading of the machines, or has somehow survived the reloading - NVRAM, rookit, something.
You may have to do what I did: Nuke the hard drive. Load WinXP SP3 (no patches), turn on Windows firewall, load MLS and see if it works. If it does, update and add your programs one at a time until dial-up breaks.
Yeah I'm afraid that's what it's going to come to. IMO, however, SLC should be doing the troubleshooting if it's an incompatibility with MLS and an Windows update. I have a sneaky suspicion that this issue is much more widespread than we realize and broadband units have no idea since they rarely have to fall back to Dialup.
Support desk's latest suggestion as of yesterday was to use another 800 number... doubt it will work but I'll give it a shot