Phone Number Standarization

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
User avatar
nbflint
Member
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:07 pm

Post by nbflint »

jbh001 wrote:And as much as I am against "do not contact" lists, puting DNC in the primary phone number or street address 1 field more than adequately provides a needed function even if is is aesthetically irritating and kludgy.

Now that the thread has been resurrected, please see the wiki article: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Do_not_contact concerning marking records as "Do Not Contact"

The article does not reference the letter in which this policy was communicated, and I can't put my hands on it at the moment; but the policy as I remember it is that no designations of Do Not Contact are to be made in any way. Locally, we have interpreted this to mean we don't type it (Do Not Contact), abbreviate it (DNC, DC, D or X), or mark any field including custom fields meant to be such a designation.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31127
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Post by russellhltn »

AileneRHerrick wrote:That means if we use the LDS Tools application, and someone's phone number is entered as only 7-digits, then we have to go through a little extra effort to call them (making note of the number, then entering it with the area code on our keypad, instead of just clicking on it).
Maybe it's just a function of the way my phone works, but I've found I can add in the area code once the number has been entered into the phone app. Which is nice, since my mental cache memory doesn't seem to extend to 7 digits. At least not with an high degree of confidence.

But having the app enter a default area code would be nice too.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
User avatar
jeromer7
Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Bellevue, Nebraska

Post by jeromer7 »

nbflint wrote:The article does not reference the letter in which this policy was communicated, and I can't put my hands on it at the moment; but the policy as I remember it is that no designations of Do Not Contact are to be made in any way. Locally, we have interpreted this to mean we don't type it (Do Not Contact), abbreviate it (DNC, DC, D or X), or mark any field including custom fields meant to be such a designation.
How timely! I am preparing (yes at almost the last minute) for training unit clerks tomorrow and this is a topic I am addressing after finding some DNC annotations in the Stake MLS Abbreviated Directory. I recall the instruction nbflint references message coming via MLS message some time ago. I just looked through the Official Communications Library on LDS.org and searched in Handbook 1, where membership records are addressed, without finding any reference to DNC annotations. It sure would be nice if there was an official document we could reference for this policy.
JLR
RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Post by RossEvans »

jeromer7 wrote:How timely! I am preparing (yes at almost the last minute) for training unit clerks tomorrow and this is a topic I am addressing after finding some DNC annotations in the Stake MLS Abbreviated Directory. I recall the instruction nbflint references message coming via MLS message some time ago. I just looked through the Official Communications Library on LDS.org and searched in Handbook 1, where membership records are addressed, without finding any reference to DNC annotations. It sure would be nice if there was an official document we could reference for this policy.

I think the most official reference you will find is from the membership message to local priesthood leaders that you recall. It was described and discussed in this thread.
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10304
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: US

Post by lajackson »

RossEvans wrote:I think the most official reference you will find is from the membership message to local priesthood leaders that you recall.
Use as your reference an MLS Message dated 18 Sep 2009 to All Priesthood Leaders from MLS Support, Subject: Do Not Contact Membership Records. It may still be on several of the administrative computers in an area near you.
JamesAnderson
Senior Member
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:03 pm

Post by JamesAnderson »

That is easier said than done, in some portions of some area codes, such as all of the codes in the Phoenix metro area, you can't dial numbers using 10 digits, I think it throws an error message if you try to do that.
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10304
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: US

Post by lajackson »

JamesAnderson wrote:That is easier said than done, in some portions of some area codes, such as all of the codes in the Phoenix metro area, you can't dial numbers using 10 digits, I think it throws an error message if you try to do that.

It is a challenge any way you do it. In our ward, those who live in town need seven digits. Anyone outside of town needs 10 digits. You can't program it both ways in MLS. And then there are those who have moved into the ward and stake from other places and have kept their cell phone numbers from across the country.

I think I would rather have the area code in MLS, even if I have to delete it when I dial (although I don't have one of those phancy fones). And I have nearly given up trying to figure out the long distance portion of my home phone bill each month.
User avatar
AileneRHerrick
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, United States

Post by AileneRHerrick »

JamesAnderson wrote:That is easier said than done, in some portions of some area codes, such as all of the codes in the Phoenix metro area, you can't dial numbers using 10 digits, I think it throws an error message if you try to do that.
Oh, see, I didn't know that dialing 10-digits caused problems anywhere! That changes things.
User avatar
nbflint
Member
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:07 pm

Post by nbflint »

JamesAnderson wrote:That is easier said than done, in some portions of some area codes, such as all of the codes in the Phoenix metro area, you can't dial numbers using 10 digits, I think it throws an error message if you try to do that.

Is this true for both cell phones and land lines? I've never encountered cell phone service that didn't handle 10 digit calling. If it is only landlines, isn't the number being entered by hand to call?

If the information is present the human gets to decide what information to use to make a call. If the information is not present, the decision has been made for them. I prefer to become educated enough to know how to dial a phone number in my area. I don't like having my phone dialing agency taken from me :-)

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10304
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: US

Post by lajackson »

nbflint wrote:I prefer to become educated enough to know how to dial a phone number in my area. I don't like having my phone dialing agency taken from me :-)

I find myself once or twice a month redialing a number because I either dialed the area code and did not need it, or I did not dial the area code and needed it.

The cell phone I sometimes borrow and use seems friendly enough that if an area code is used, it can sort out on its own whether or not it needs the extra three digits.

In this day and age, I suppose if I were a clerk I would include an area code with all phone numbers, especially since so many members move in with cell phones that have out of area phone numbers.

Then it simply would be a matter of convincing everyone that they should use periods instead of dashes in the number. (000.000.0000) [grin]
Post Reply

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”