Utah area code 801 soon mandatory ten digit dialing

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Postby Mikerowaved » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:15 pm

GarysTurn wrote:Another thing to remember about the new 10 digit dialing requirement is that some 801 numbers will require a 1 before them and some will not have the 1 before them. If the number is local you do not use the 1 and if the number is long distance it must have the 1.

What you posted is exactly the way it's described in the literature, but currently you can dial the "1" first for every number, including local. This may change next year, I really can't say, but personally, I hope it stays like it is. 10-digits if you want to ensure it's a local call, 11-digits for either local or LD. IMO, it makes for programming things like modems, telephone memory slots, and fire alarms much easier. Now if only the phone company were listening... :rolleyes:

As far as MLS dialer numbers go, mine is still set to 7-digits, but won't they just update this from CHQ during a send/receive sometime in the next few months? I'm sure they are aware of the necessity. I don't think we will need to manually make the changes.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:07 pm

Mikerowaved wrote:As far as MLS dialer numbers go, mine is still set to 7-digits, but won't they just update this from CHQ during a send/receive sometime in the next few months? I'm sure they are aware of the necessity. I don't think we will need to manually make the changes.

Nice thought, but CHQ has only changed our dialup number once. Put us out of commission for three weeks until we figured out what had happened and changed it back. (They were only trying to help. They thought a phone number in a city 40 miles away would be a local number.)

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:07 pm

Mikerowaved wrote:but won't they just update this from CHQ during a send/receive sometime in the next few months?

Maybe. Maybe not. When MLS was first rolled out, we were given a several pages with all the cities and phone numbers. In fact I need to go hassle clerk support to check on the numbers. I have one unit that reports their modem has to make several tries before it gets a connection.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”