GEO Codes and Boundary Realignment

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jwtaber

Post by jwtaber »

Alan_Brown wrote:Sure. Just use http://new.lds.org/maps, login, and on the "My Ward and Stake" tab (the one with the meetinghouse icon) select "Entire Stake". Then click on the icon to the right of the "Households..." heading that looks like a green down arrow. That will give you a CSV file containing the lat/long of every household in the stake.
I did that, and it's only giving me the first eight families in the stake. Did I do something wrong along the way? (There's no hurry here - I'm still overhauling my stake geocodes layer.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

eblood66 wrote:... when I tried to export the stake I got households from multiple wards but only those where the last name started with the letter A. There was nothing in the filter field so I don't know why I only got a portion of the stake membership. Seems like a bug to me.
I agree. I hadn't looked closely at my stake's export, but when you mentioned this, I went back and discovered that my list included all the A's and B's and all but two of the C's -- 237 households out of the well over 1000 households in our stake. And when I did my ward, it only exported 60 out of over 150 households. So it does sound like a bug (which I have reported using the Feedback mechanism).
JTaber wrote:I did that, and it's only giving me the first eight families in the stake. Did I do something wrong along the way? (There's no hurry here - I'm still overhauling my stake geocodes layer.)
The place it truncates the list seems to vary, but there's definitely some sort of bug which leads to incomplete downloads. For two of the wards in my stake, I got the complete download, but for others, I got varying portions of the ward included in the download -- always starting at the beginning alphabetically, but stopping at different places.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jwtaber

Post by jwtaber »

Alan_Brown wrote:The place it truncates the list seems to vary, but there's definitely some sort of bug which leads to incomplete downloads. For two of the wards in my stake, I got the complete download, but for others, I got varying portions of the ward included in the download -- always starting at the beginning alphabetically, but stopping at different places.
Now it seems to work fine, at both the ward and stake levels. If only I could post stake geocodes via lds.org . . .
mpospisil

Geo Code transfer between ward and stake

Post by mpospisil »

Do Ward Household Geo Codes imputed by the ward transfer to the stake when they select send and receive?

Michael
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mpospisil wrote:Do Ward Household Geo Codes imputed by the ward transfer to the stake when they select send and receive?
Yes, the stake can see ward household geo codes, with the usual processing delays on the transfers (it may take a few hours).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

aebrown wrote:Yes, the stake can see ward household geo codes, with the usual processing delays on the transfers (it may take a few hours).

Can the stake use the Ward Geo Code field for boundary analysis, or does only the Stake Geo Code work for that purpose within MLS?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RossEvans wrote:Can the stake use the Ward Geo Code field for boundary analysis, or does only the Stake Geo Code work for that purpose within MLS?
Only the Stake Geo Code is used for boundary analysis.
mpospisil

Post by mpospisil »

aebrown wrote:Yes, the stake can see ward household geo codes, with the usual processing delays on the transfers (it may take a few hours).

I can only see one of our ward's geo codes, although several have finished in MLS and sent them along. Their screen is populated this way: Ward Code--RSM1C, Stake Code--RS. From the instructions of a while back they stated that if the stake code is populated at the stake level, then when ward's send their information along, it will not transfer over. Am I stuck to input it all by hand?

Michael
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

mpospisil wrote:I can only see one of our ward's geo codes, although several have finished in MLS and sent them along. Their screen is populated this way: Ward Code--RSM1C, Stake Code--RS. From the instructions of a while back they stated that if the stake code is populated at the stake level, then when ward's send their information along, it will not transfer over. Am I stuck to input it all by hand?
I thought the complex rule applied only to the Stake Geo Code field: If it is populated within stake MLS, then ward clerks cannot overwrite the Stake Geo Code within ward MLS. But if the Stake Geo Code is populated within ward MLS, it will propagate to the stake.

But I didn't think any of that was supposed to restrict the Ward Geo Code field. It is owned by the wards, it is populated by ward clerks and should be viewable within stake MLS after processing delays. So if the send/receives have occurred in the right sequence and enought time has passed, I thought you should be able to see them.

As for whether you have to rekey the data, I did't think a stake MLS user is able to update the Ward Geo Code field at all. That would defeat the point of letting it be owned by the wards.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Check out THIS post for an understanding of how the GEO codes work.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”