GEO Codes and Boundary Realignment

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
iamdavid

Postby iamdavid » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:51 am

Woah!! I didn't read this entire thread but must comment after reading the first few entries - I hope the thread went in the following direction:

Geocode is a good name for the purpose it serves at both the stake and ward level.
I agree with Alan that stake Geocodes serve principally in 'identifying' boundaries of and within the stake - and as such need to be updated as changes occur.
Ward Geocodes are often more discrete and can serve a multitude of purposes including assisting in HT/VT assignments, demarkating disaster assistance regions and Project Areas where both wards and stakes can cover a LOT more than a few city blocks.
Geocodes are a wonderful shorthand for defining the ward and for defining problems and corresponding actions. Thinking of them as discrete points on a map is wrong. That is about the lowest common denominator among the functions of Ward Geocodes and I would think least also for stakes.

For instance, the only important points on a box (2 dimensional) are the corners but nothing about the corners is as important as the contents of the box. Geocodes are about defining contents, not corners.

pkthor-p40

Where do we stand?

Postby pkthor-p40 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:20 am

I've read this entire post, which has been silent for awhile. I know the new.lds website has mapping capabilities of the ward/stake members. Are there any boundary realignment tools accessible with that?

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:40 am

pkthor wrote:I've read this entire post, which has been silent for awhile. I know the new.lds website has mapping capabilities of the ward/stake members. Are there any boundary realignment tools accessible with that?

Not at this time, and I haven't heard of any plans for such. I would hope that such tools would be available at some point, but for now, the only tools for boundary realignment are found in Stake MLS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

jwtaber

Postby jwtaber » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:Not at this time, and I haven't heard of any plans for such. I would hope that such tools would be available at some point, but for now, the only tools for boundary realignment are found in Stake MLS.

At the very least, would it be possible for assistant stake clerks like me to extract lat/long data for their stake memberships? Those numbers are stored somewhere, and it would make my job much easier (especially now that batchgeocode.com doesn't give you lat/longs.)

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:12 pm

JTaber wrote:At the very least, would it be possible for assistant stake clerks like me to extract lat/long data for their stake memberships? Those numbers are stored somewhere, and it would make my job much easier (especially now that batchgeocode.com doesn't give you lat/longs.)

Sure. Just use http://new.lds.org/maps, login, and on the "My Ward and Stake" tab (the one with the meetinghouse icon) select "Entire Stake". Then click on the icon to the right of the "Households..." heading that looks like a green down arrow. That will give you a CSV file containing the lat/long of every household in the stake.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

pkthor-p40

Postby pkthor-p40 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:17 am

JTaber wrote:At the very least, would it be possible for assistant stake clerks like me to extract lat/long data for their stake memberships? Those numbers are stored somewhere, and it would make my job much easier (especially now that batchgeocode.com doesn't give you lat/longs.)

What software and workflow would you use with the lat/long info?

RossEvans

Postby RossEvans » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:41 am

Alan_Brown wrote:Sure. Just use http://new.lds.org/maps, login, and on the "My Ward and Stake" tab (the one with the meetinghouse icon) select "Entire Stake". Then click on the icon to the right of the "Households..." heading that looks like a green down arrow. That will give you a CSV file containing the lat/long of every household in the stake.

This export used to work for me at the ward level. But lately it seems to be disabled. Perhaps the privileges changed? (I'm a ward finance clerk). Now the exported CSV contains only the header line with no data. In addition, I used to have the option to include "confidential data," which were the MRN and emergency-related fields. Now those fields do not appear in the headers.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am

boomerbubba wrote:This export used to work for me at the ward level. But lately it seems to be disabled. Perhaps the privileges changed? (I'm a ward finance clerk). Now the exported CSV contains only the header line with no data. In addition, I used to have the option to include "confidential data," which were the MRN and emergency-related fields. Now those fields do not appear in the headers.

I'm an assistant stake clerk, and the export works fine for me. It does not include the confidential data columns, but it never has for me. But it does include all the households in the stake, with these columns:

• "Longitude"
  • "Latitude"
  • "Household"
  • "Address-1"
  • "Address-2"
  • "Address-3"
  • "Address-4"
  • "Phone"
  • "E-mail"
  • "Location-Status"
  • "Group"
  • "Ward/Branch"
I suppose it's possible that permissions have changed. You might ask your ward clerk to give it a try.

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:29 am

Alan_Brown wrote:I'm an assistant stake clerk, and the export works fine for me. It does not include the confidential data columns, but it never has for me. But it does include all the households in the stake, with these columns:

• "Longitude"
  • "Latitude"
  • "Household"
  • "Address-1"
  • "Address-2"
  • "Address-3"
  • "Address-4"
  • "Phone"
  • "E-mail"
  • "Location-Status"
  • "Group"
  • "Ward/Branch"
I suppose it's possible that permissions have changed. You might ask your ward clerk to give it a try.

As a ward clerk I was able to export my entire ward (although it didn't include the confidential columns even though it asked me if I wanted them and I said yes). However, when I tried to export the stake I got households from multiple wards but only those where the last name started with the letter A. There was nothing in the filter field so I don't know why I only got a portion of the stake membership. Seems like a bug to me.

jwtaber

Postby jwtaber » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:07 pm

pkthor wrote:What software and workflow would you use with the lat/long info?

In my case, I'd plug them in to ArcGIS 10 to generate stake geocodes.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”