Page 1 of 1

Symantec DAT dates

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:29 am
by leeallenwhiting
I searched but didn't find anything on this. I am a newly called stake technology specialist and have been going around our newly created stake and taking inventory of the FHC and clerk PC's. I noticed that on the clerk PC's the indicated Symantec DAT dates were 1~2 years old! :eek: I DL'd the latest x86 client update and installed it but the DAT dates didn't change after a reboot. Is this normal? If so, is there a way to determine the actual date of the DAT that is currently installed?

Thanks,
Lee

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:40 am
by russellhltn
Where are you checking? I do it by opening the Symantec Antivirus program (either by right clicking the icon in the intray or from Start | All Programs). The date will be in the bottom right area of the first page.

I've had no problems updating using the method described. I have seen a time lag of a few minutes after the update completes, but it works.

Make sure you're downloading the right update. It's the x86 found at this link

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:54 am
by leeallenwhiting
Yes, I open the SAV icon in the task tray and on the first screen in the lower right hand corner the DAT date is June 2007 or earlier, the LiveUpdate button is greyed out and there is a lock. And yes I dL'd the correct x86 patch (mine was dated 11/06) and installed it and rebooted.

When I check services, the LiveUpdate service is not running. Should I set it to "automatic"? I can understand why it would be disabled for Dailup but since they are now using broadband, it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,
Lee

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:59 am
by russellhltn
LAWhiting wrote:When I check services, the LiveUpdate service is not running. Should I set it to "automatic"?


No, I wouldn't do that. Try running the update again and waiting 5 minutes or so. The reboot may have disrupted hidden background processes.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:10 pm
by leeallenwhiting
Ok, I will give that a try.

I also read in another sub forum that the clerks PC's with broadband need to be changed to a high speed domain for the SAV to update automatically as the SAV automatic updates have been disabled for the dailup domain (acording to moderator DJC). He indicated that if we PM him with the clerk's PC names he could move them into the highspeed domain (different GPO which would enable LiveUpdate I suspect). Is this still the case?

Thanks,
Lee

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:16 pm
by russellhltn
There's been no update since that time, so give it a try.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:31 pm
by aebrown
LAWhiting wrote:Ok, I will give that a try.

I also read in another sub forum that the clerks PC's with broadband need to be changed to a high speed domain for the SAV to update automatically as the SAV automatic updates have been disabled for the dailup domain (acording to moderator DJC). He indicated that if we PM him with the clerk's PC names he could move them into the highspeed domain (different GPO which would enable LiveUpdate I suspect). Is this still the case?

Thanks,
Lee


If you read the whole thread, you will see that the request to send PM with the PC names was overridden by a subsequent post. The current status of SAV automatic updates is that they do not work and this issue is on hold until further notice.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:22 pm
by jdlessley
It sounds like you have followed the correct procedures to get the update installed. In the past I have noticed the dates for the tables did not change on a few computers after the update was installed. The next time I checked the dates on the computers (one or more reboots later) the dates were correct. Since I did not do a reboot at the time of the update I assumed that the reboot(s) that happened between the update and the next time I checked was the event that changed them.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:26 pm
by jdlessley
LAWhiting wrote:I DL'd the latest x86 client update and installed it but the DAT dates didn't change after a reboot.

It sounds like you have followed the correct procedures to get the update installed. In the past I have noticed the dates for the tables did not change on a few computers after the update was installed. The next time I checked the dates on the computers (one or more reboots later) the dates were correct. Since I did not do a reboot at the time of the update I assumed that the reboot(s) that happened between the update and the next time I checked was the event that changed them.