Page 1 of 2

MLS Mail Notification - First Time only

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:22 am
by pete_arnett-p40
From MLS Support:

Dear Brother,
When a new message is received in MLS, a notification will appear the first time someone logs in after the message has been received. If the user chooses to ignore the message and not read it at that time, the notification will go away.

Messages should be checked upon notification.

Thank you,

MSR Support Staff -enr

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:08 am
by crislapi
pete_arnett wrote:From MLS Support:

Dear Brother,
When a new message is received in MLS, a notification will appear the first time someone logs in after the message has been received. If the user chooses to ignore the message and not read it at that time, the notification will go away.

Messages should be checked upon notification.

Thank you,

MSR Support Staff -enr


So what's the question?

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:18 pm
by mkmurray
So I wanted to ask a question about this particular topic now because it doesn't appear to be working here in the last week or so.

We received the MLS 3.1 preparations message about making sure to print out the Secondary Household phone numbers because they would be lost in the upgrade when adding individual contact info to the software. With the new MLS message in our Inbox, we also got an Urgent Task stating that we have "1 new message to read." I promptly read the message, printed it out for everyone concerned, stuck the printouts into their boxes, and then closed the message and the mail view portal.

However, the Urgent Task stuck. I shrugged it off and now here I am a week later with the urgent task still there. I have tried clicking the urgent task to take me to the MLS message, opening it to trigger to the software that it has been read, then closing the message and again the mail view window. But the urgent task is again still there in my list of tasks needing to be done.

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior? Is this a new bug? This is the first MLS message that has exhibited this behavior in the many we've received over the last 6 months.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:20 pm
by childsdj
This shouldn't have changed. Please post if you see this happen with additional MLS messages.

No Message=No Urgent Task

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:34 pm
by atticusewig
We had an empty message (no subject line, no sender) come through at the same time as the Prep for new MLS message. Triggered an urgent task of
an unread message, but without a subject line I couldn't "read" the empty
message. The trick is to drag the envelope icon into the deleted/trash folder,
then right click the deleted/trash folder and empty the folder.
It worked on our empty, otherwise un-openable message to clear the Urgent task. It should work on the MLS Prep message as well.

- Atticus

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:43 pm
by mkmurray
atticusewig wrote:We had an empty message (no subject line, no sender) come through at the same time as the Prep for new MLS message. Triggered an urgent task of
an unread message, but without a subject line I couldn't "read" the empty
message. The trick is to drag the envelope icon into the deleted/trash folder,
then right click the deleted/trash folder and empty the folder.
It worked on our empty, otherwise un-openable message to clear the Urgent task. It should work on the MLS Prep message as well.

- Atticus

Unfortunately, our ward has a policy of not clearing those messages out. But you have given me the idea of perhaps moving the message around to different folders to see if that helps. Thankfully, we don't have a problem with any no subject, unopenable messages.

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:44 am
by mkmurray
mkmurray wrote:Unfortunately, our ward has a policy of not clearing those messages out. But you have given me the idea of perhaps moving the message around to different folders to see if that helps. Thankfully, we don't have a problem with any no subject, unopenable messages.

I tried to move the message to a different folder, like Archived, but that did not clear the Urgent Task. We got a new message today, which didn't appear to increment the Urgent Task (well, if it did, when I read the message it went back down again, because I forgot to check the Urgent Task before reading the newly received message).

It's like there is some flag in the software that can't clear.

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:22 pm
by ericb
mkmurray wrote:Is anyone else experiencing this behavior? Is this a new bug? This is the first MLS message that has exhibited this behavior in the many we've received over the last 6 months.


I'm seeing the same thing today. An urgent task indicates there is a new message. When I click on it, I'm simply taken to the list of messages. The urgent task still remains. Not sure how this feature is supposed to work...I also don't remember seeing any info regarding this change. We're still on 3.0.3.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:16 pm
by crislapi
mkmurray wrote:Unfortunately, our ward has a policy of not clearing those messages out. But you have given me the idea of perhaps moving the message around to different folders to see if that helps. Thankfully, we don't have a problem with any no subject, unopenable messages.


Had the same issue as atticusewig. If you have a message with no subject line (blank message but can't read it), you have to remove it to get rid of the urgent task. If your ward has a policy about removing all deleted messages, then create a new subfolder, move the blank message there, right click on the new subfolder, select "Empty", and the "offending" message is removed while still leaving all your other messaged. You can then delete the subfolder should you choose.

I'm sure you are aware, but the latest version of MLS allows the creation of sub folders. I just went through and filed all the messages we'd been saving into subfolders. That way, the messages in the "Delete" folder truly can be deleted. The messages I want to save I've filed elsewhere.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:38 pm
by mkmurray
crislapi wrote:If you have a message with no subject line (blank message but can't read it), you have to remove it to get rid of the urgent task. If your ward has a policy about removing all deleted messaged, ...

We don't delete any messages and this particular message had a subject line.