Rule for classifying Nursery and Primary?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
RossEvans

Rule for classifying Nursery and Primary?

Post by RossEvans »

What are the default rules for classifying children into Primary classes, especially Nursery?

My understanding is that for all classes from Sunbeam 4 through Valiant 12, the rule is based upon the child's age as-of Jan. 1.

But what about Nursery? The online sources I have found at LDS.org say that Nursery is for children 18 months through 2 years old. Does that 18-month threshold apply only as-of Jan. 1, or immediately when the child is 18 months old?

(I am not using MLS, but rather the MLS export file Membership.csv. So the birthdate is all I have to work with.)
wwoodford

Post by wwoodford »

The Primary section of Book 2, Church Handbook of Instructions provides guidance for this question. Children start in the Nursery when they are 18 months old, not the first January after they are 18 months old. They remain in the nursery until the first January after they turn 3.
William Woodford
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I don't have any sources, but I have always assumed that it was when the child turned 18 months (that's how my current ward has done it with both of my kids). On the flipside, my daughter will be moving out of Nursery January 1st, even though she is currently 3...at least that's how my current ward is doing it.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

wwoodford wrote:They remain in the nursery until the first January after they turn 3.
I personally find this bit really strange - although it makes it easy for people to understand the requirements, it takes little or no account of children turning 3 in february for instance - and having to wait 11 months to move up. I worry for the development of a child approaching 4yrs, being taught with an 18month old.

I presume many wards are judicious in their strict application of this particular one.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dannykos wrote:I personally find this bit really strange - although it makes it easy for people to understand the requirements, it takes little or no account of children turning 3 in february for instance - and having to wait 11 months to move up. I worry for the development of a child approaching 4yrs, being taught with an 18month old.

I presume many wards are judicious in their strict application of this particular one.
Perhaps. But I have a child that fits into the situation you describe. I feel the lessons being taught during Nursery almost fit them better than the toddlers (I also have one of those :)). You could be right in that the situation could change from place to place and child to child, but I don't see any overall problem caused by the policy in general.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

I agree. I think that it's one of those that needs the inspiration of local leaders to ascertain what's best for each individual. I know for me - if a parent approaches me with concerns, I'd have no hesitation in considering their child for an earlier step up into primary proper.
(i too have one pre nursery, one in nursery, and one sunbeam!)
jtwitchell

Nursery

Post by jtwitchell »

My youngest was born on Jan 2. Lucky her! A whole extra year playing with toys at church!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

dannykos wrote:... I worry for the development of a child approaching 4yrs, being taught with an 18month old.

If having such a wide range of ages is a concern, one solution available to many wards (depending on populations, facilities, etc.) is to split nursery into two or more groups and assign children based on age (and other factors as inspired...)

My wife and I taught nursery for a year and a half and found some advantages to having a wide range of ages. The older children could take the younger children by the hand and help show them how things are done. It turned into an early lesson in leadership.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

How about later on?

Post by rmrichesjr »

When I mentioned this thread to my wife, she informed me of an issue I had not thought of. If a child is moved into sunbeams prior to turning age 3, then a decision must be made the next year whether to flunk the child and have him/her repeat sunbeams or keep moving the child ahead. My wife pointed out that this will cause awkwardness during the year the rest of the children in the class turn 8 and get baptized.

Another possible issue could come up if the child's family moves or ward leadership changes such that new leadership is more strict about following the birthday-based guidelines.

(Sorry to take the thread away from technology.)
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

rmrichesjr wrote:If having such a wide range of ages is a concern, one solution available to many wards (depending on populations, facilities, etc.) is to split nursery into two or more groups and assign children based on age (and other factors as inspired...)

My wife and I taught nursery for a year and a half and found some advantages to having a wide range of ages. The older children could take the younger children by the hand and help show them how things are done. It turned into an early lesson in leadership.
And this doesn't need to be a literal split into completely different Nursery classes either. You can let them all play together and then take one group out for a lesson while the other group does snack time, and then switch.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”