Eligible members without callings

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
willenium1217

Eligible members without callings

Post by willenium1217 »

Hello all,
I got a request from my Bishop that we get a list of ELIGIBLE members who do not have callings. MLS system had the ability to do that. Anyone know how we can give an indicator that certain members are eligible for callings? Thanks!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Eligible members without callings

Post by jdlessley »

I don't know what definition of eligible you are working with but Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR) provides a filterable report called Members Without Callings found under the Organizations menu Item. If that does not provide what you need then can you define 'eligible'? With those parameters you may find a custom report helpful.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

It has been over a year since I had access to MLS and the Custom report tool in LCR, but if I recall correctly, MLS had an option to mark which members were "not eligible" for a calling - there was no control over what the definition was. The clerk could use it to run a "members without callings" report with only certain members showing, depending on the discretion of the bishop. I don't remember if LCR has the same ability when running a members without callings list.
willenium1217

Post by willenium1217 »

davesudweeks wrote:It has been over a year since I had access to MLS and the Custom report tool in LCR, but if I recall correctly, MLS had an option to mark which members were "not eligible" for a calling - there was no control over what the definition was. The clerk could use it to run a "members without callings" report with only certain members showing, depending on the discretion of the bishop. I don't remember if LCR has the same ability when running a members without callings list.
This is exactly what I am after. So I am guessing LCR does not have the same capability. But I will try the custom report option to see if that is a possibility.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I wasn't aware of that "not eligible" setting in MLS. To me that filter seems a bit odd, as even members with restrictions can often receive meaningful callings (even if there are limitations).

If the Bishop is using this for his own reference, he would know who in the full listing of members-without-callings is "not eligible". And if the Bishop was intending to share this with other leaders, I would personally be a bit hesitant to share the filtered list, since if a leader receives this filtered list and notices a member who doesn't have a calling isn't listed, that would be a signal that there must be some restriction on receiving a calling.

I suppose without knowing how MLS defines Eligible, it's difficult to know if it's a good or bad thing that it's also not in LCR...
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

BrianEdwards wrote:I suppose without knowing how MLS defines Eligible, it's difficult to know if it's a good or bad thing that it's also not in LCR...
There is no definition. It's just a checkbox that could be checked or not. So the filtered list did not necessarily mean the person was restricted due to discipline. It could be used to remove people the bishop did not think were appropriate for a particular calling perhaps due to personal circumstances (they work during youth night for instance) or because they were already being considered for another calling.

But when I was a ward clerk, I don't remember ever using using that feature with our bishopric. The bishopric would use the members without callings list but would seldom pass it on to presidency who needed to recommend someone for a calling.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”