Windows Version

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Windows Version

Post by lajackson »

Are we supposed to be on Windows 1909 or should the clerk computer have upgraded to Windows 20H2? I understand where Windows wants us to be. I am looking for where the Church wants their computers to be. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows Version

Post by russellhltn »

Not a direct answer, but 1909 Pro hasn't gotten security updates since May 11, 2021.
Windows 1909 Enterprise edition expires on May 10, 2022.

I'll have to double-check, but I think my machines are on "Pro", not enterprise.

Absent a directive, I'd let the machines update to where they want to go. I'd expect their desires to be encoded in the settings they push down to them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'd let the machines update to where they want to go.
Interesting and that is exactly what I am doing. I worked on a machine yesterday that had updated to 20H2. I also configured a new box earlier in the week that updated to 1909, and when I tried several times to update it further it said no updates were available.

The Global Services Department told me Friday that I can do whatever I want and that the boxes should be running Windows 10 Pro. The boxes themselves say that some update features are controlled by my "administrator" (the Church).

So I left it where it wanted to be.

It seems that the provisioning tool phones home, because when it started there was a D&C89 account, and when it finished there was a Church Support account, as we have read elsewhere.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

From Microsoft:
If you get an error code while downloading and installing Windows updates, the Update Troubleshooter can help resolve the problem.

Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters. Next, under Get up and running, select Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter.

When the troubleshooter is finished running, it's a good idea to restart your device.

Next, check for new updates. Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates, and then install any available updates.

If the problems aren't all resolved, try running the troubleshooter again to check for additional errors, or see Fix Windows Update errors and follow the troubleshooting steps.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

No error codes here. Just a "You're up to date". I am finding that the older the computer, the more likely it has moved to 20H2, before the Church started figuring out how to control Windows updates, security, and other things.

Recently Headquarters tagged my FM Group with the message that a computer shipped to our stake had not checked in.. They were correct. It was still in the box because the new unit was sharing the computer with the other ward in the clerks office. But they did not flag an older computer that also has not connected. (The FM Group was aware of these two situations and I was following their instruction.)

When I asked for (and received) a security reset this past week, I immediately hit the MLS S/R link, and before I could even say thank you the GSD said, I see that you are successfully transmitting. May I help you with anything else?

It seems they are keeping better and better track at all levels than ever before. I realize these are valuable assets.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I also configured a new box earlier in the week that updated to 1909, and when I tried several times to update it further it said no updates were available.
That might be worth a support call.

The only suggestion I'd have is to set the power settings such that it never goes to sleep or hibernates, and let it "cook" by leaving it powered up. I've done that on few machines that were stubborn in doing some update or another. I'm thinking it has to get around to phoning home via the Big Blue app.

I always revert the power back to hibernation if left unattended after a few hours (4?) once it does update.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:I also configured a new box earlier in the week that updated to 1909, and when I tried several times to update it further it said no updates were available.
That might be worth a support call.
I did. Support said it did not matter what version I was running and to just let the computer go to whatever level of Windows it wanted.

Another nickel for my retirement fund.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I checked a bunch of machines at my stake center. They all pretty much stayed the same as the last time I did rounds, probably a year ago.

A number of machines knew they were out of date, but didn't offer any options to download or update. But when I clicked the link for checking Microsoft Updates, suddenly things broke lose. I'm getting the feeling that the church update system isn't getting updated and one has to manually request a check in with Microsoft to get anywhere.

And yes, all the machines were "Pro", not enterprise, so 1909 expired back in May.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”