MLS Page Blank

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:However, I find it hard to imagine how anything related to Afaria would affect MLS startup -- it wouldn't be accessed until a transmission is attempted.
I don't disagree, but then I don't know where else to find a problem that's both data and installation specific. I wouldn't rule out some kind of start-up process that checks the the Afaria folder to assess status.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We have had a lot of display problems since MLS version 3.1 appeared that have continued through MLS 3.1.3. Most of them were eventually fixed in earlier versions, but the newer versions are back to displaying the same problems, most frequently where the screen does not refresh when it should.

Two examples.

1. A pop up box closes and the underlying screen does not rewrite or refresh. Sometimes moving the cursor over the errant area will do it. Sometimes not.

2. A Send/Receive completes, but the display does not indicate this. The box says files are still being processed when they are not, the pop-up boxes have not closed or do not close on clicking. MLS appears to still be thinking. After patient waiting and some experimental clicking, MLS appears to be totally hung.

The fix for problem 2 is to minimize the entire MLS window from the desktop to the toolbar, then display it again. The MLS window will be clean, there will be no remnants of a Send/Receive in progress (because it was done a long time ago). Everything will appear as normal and seem to function properly. Life is good.
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

johnsco wrote::confused:
I have an OptiPlex GX620 running Windows XP SP2 with MLS 3.1.2
When I open MLS I get the Title Page Showing MLS. 3.1.2 then the Tool Bar under that (FILE EDIT and so on). Under that I have a blank brown screen.
This is what I have done to remedy:
1. uninstalled MLS
2 Reinstalled with fresh install
3. Restored from latest backup
None of these steps helped so I:
4. Restored from the next latest backup
5. Updated Java

None of these steps have helped me. I someone has some answers please let me know ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

I had the exact problem you are experiencing. I went through 3 levels of MLS support before a lead knew the solution. I was asked not to publicly share the resolution as it affects other areas of MLS and should be a last resort. Please call MLS support for assistance.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Bro_West wrote:I had the exact problem you are experiencing. I went through 3 levels of MLS support before a lead knew the solution. I was asked not to publicly share the resolution as it affects other areas of MLS and should be a last resort. Please call MLS support for assistance.
So far the only remedy anyone has mentioned that actually worked was to reimage the whole system. I'm assuming the solution you got from MLS Support was simpler than that; if so, it's good to know that there is a less intrusive fix.

While I understand your reticence to share the particular solution, could you at least confirm whether it involved a configuration fix that you could make yourself (given proper directions), or if the database had to be fixed by MLS Support?
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

My fix was very simple, but It took going up three levels of support at headquarters to get the right answer. When I explained everything I had previously attempted (suggestions already found in this thread and others), they quickly escalated my call. The actual fix took 30 seconds to execute and involved hidden & system files.

Based on what I was asked to do, I understand how a system restore would resolve the problem. I was expressly asked by MLS Support to not share the resolution in this forum. I am only posting share that there is a simpler solution.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Bro_West wrote:I was expressly asked by MLS Support to not share the resolution in this forum. I am only posting share that there is a simpler solution.
Things must be slow at the help desk this time of year. I guess we will all have to give them a call. What are there now, 2,800 of us, if only the stake clerks call? [hehehe]

Did the help desk happen to mention if they are working on the overall display refresh problem?
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

lajackson wrote:Things must be slow at the help desk this time of year. I guess we will all have to give them a call. What are there now, 2,800 of us, if only the stake clerks call? [hehehe]

Did the help desk happen to mention if they are working on the overall display refresh problem?
I did not ask about that issue.
dwterry-p40

Post by dwterry-p40 »

Just a quick note to let you know that this issue was resolved in tonight's patch as well.

Of course, you won't be able to download the patch if you can't even get into MLS. So you have two options: 1) go to the internet site and download the full installation, or 2) contact support and let them walk you through the process to fix it (it's fairly complicated and too much to post here).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dwterry wrote:Just a quick note to let you know that this issue was resolved in tonight's patch as well.

Of course, you won't be able to download the patch if you can't even get into MLS. So you have two options: 1) go to the internet site and download the full installation, or 2) contact support and let them walk you through the process to fix it (it's fairly complicated and too much to post here).
Thanks for letting us know. That particular fix wasn't mentioned in the Release Notes, but then again, there are all sorts of bugs fixed in various releases, and it clearly has never been the intent of release notes to document every bug fix.

The full MLS 3.1.4 installer wasn't available last night on mls.lds.org, but I'm happy to see that it is available there now.

Although these problems did cause some frustration (and of course we all wish they had not happened), I appreciate the quick response in delivering a fix promptly.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”