Updated LU Security Software

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
RussBarth

Post by RussBarth »

Alan_Brown wrote:The order may not matter. It only matters if you the uninstall of Symantec happens to remove that DLL that LANDesk needs. But that's easily fixed if it happens (just reinstall the Computer Management piece again).

Make sure you wait for both installers to finish completely before restarting your system (check in Windows Task Manager).
The problem is because of little feedback I thought the security software didn't work but it just wasn't done. So I restared it again. Then I tried installing the LANDDesk software thinking maybe I needed to do that first. Since I posted I've successfully installed it on one of our ward's computers. Our stake computer is still at 100% - after a good hour. The symantec sheild is gone. What happens if I reboot now? Should I reboot and try again?

I'm not a rookie, I work in IT, I looked for the instructions on the download page, I even looked at the old Dell setup instructions as it indicated they had changed too on Dec 22, 2009. But it still refered to the symantec update files. I didn't think to come to the tech forums until after I had messed everything up. And I didn't think to look at my task manager until I had found this thread. I know more then the average Stake Clerk, but I still messed it up because of lack of visual feedback. Why were those instructions on the Wiki not posted on the DL pages?

Thanks for the quick response btw.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussBarth wrote:The symantec sheild is gone. What happens if I reboot now? Should I reboot and try again?
Whe the install process takes more than 20 minutes I check the task manager for any Symantec processes. I also open the System Configuration Manager as a backup to see if any Symantec processes are listed there. For one computer that was taking more than 20 minutes I noted one of the Symantec processes had not yet been uninstalled. I disabled it and rebooted and then reinstalled the Anti-virus and Anti-malware Software. That second install took about 7 minutes to the reboot message.
RussBarth wrote:Why were those instructions on the Wiki not posted on the DL pages?
Contributions to the wiki are from the community as well as from Church employees. We of the community cannot post the wiki information to the mls.lds.org pages. We have to rely on Church employees to do that. Even then it is not that simple since everything that goes on those pages has an approval process that takes time. I suspect from all the difficulties being reported on the forums that they may also be working on those installers.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
RussBarth

Post by RussBarth »

RussBarth wrote: Our stake computer is still at 100% - after a good hour. The symantec sheild is gone. What happens if I reboot now? Should I reboot and try again?
Update: I finally rebooted and was able to reinstall everything according to the instructions on the Wiki and everything is working fine.

Thanks for all the support everyone.
pete_arnett-p40

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

Need your input on this LUSS change overview
-----------------------------------------

We are getting ready to make changes to your unit's administrative MLS desktops and we need to know if you have any issues that have not been reported before we make any of these changes in the next week or so

The following Local Unit Security Software (LUSS) upgrades will take place on all of the administrative computers that are used for Member and Leader Services (MLS)

LANDesk Management version upgrade

The following is a summary of LANDesk software upgraded functions:
1) remote access - provides the ability for headquarters support staff to remote into a desktop to resolve issues when granted permission by local Clerk's staff
2) provides the ability for deployment of additional software (e.g., Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player, CutePD Writer and OpenOffice)
3) provides the ability to provide operating system updates that have been tested to work with MLS (etc)
4) provides the ability to deploy updates to desktop's polices (e.g., wait time after entering the wrong desktop password several times)
5) provides the ability to do software and hardware inventories

Anti-virus software Upgrade
Sophos will be replacing Symantec anti-virus software

The following is a summary of Sophos software functions:
1) provides protection engine for anti-virus, anti-spam, spyware, malware, and other threats

2) provides for a Client firewall for network access control

3) provides for automatic updates of definitions by checking at desktop start-up, and then about every two (2) hours thereafter

4) provides compact definitions that will even work with a desktop with a dial-up
5) provides headquarters with an enterprise console to manage threats

The above software has been in use by most Family History Centers for the past several months and the majority of the issues have been resolved or a work around has been provided
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pete_arnett wrote:Need your input on this LUSS change overview
Here are my comments on your proposed overview:

For the LANDesk section:
2. I see no evidence that this is a current capability, or at least not anything that is used for administrative computers. That kind of capability exists in the FHC installation of LANDesk, but it doesn't look to me like administrative computers can do it.
3. I see no evidence that this is a current capability, or at least not anything that is used for administrative computers.

Anti-Virus section:
5. I don't have any information on this item. Although it sounds nice, what is your source for claiming that CHQ has an enterprise console to manage threats?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Anti-virus, item #4 - the Jury's still out on that part as at least some dial-up users are NOT being updated.

Frankly, I'd just tell them that CHQ has asked us to do these updates. I don't see the point in giving a list of reasons.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pete_arnett-p40

Alan_Brown wrote:Here are my comments on your proposed overview:

For the LANDesk section:
2. I see no evidence that this is a current capability, or at least not anything that is used for administrative computers. That kind of capability exists in the FHC installation of LANDesk, but it doesn't look to me like administrative computers can do it.
3. I see no evidence that this is a current capability, or at least not anything that is used for administrative computers.
Alan - I agree with your comments and I was just assuming (you know what that means) that the administrative side would do at least what FHC does

I will change item 2 & 3 to something like “can provide”
USA
pete_arnett-p40

Alan_Brown wrote:Here are my comments on your proposed overview:

Anti-Virus section:
5. I don't have any information on this item. Although it sounds nice, what is your source for claiming that CHQ has an enterprise console to manage threats?
Alan - an enterprise console, as you know, is a feature common to other major anti-virus vendors (i.e., McAfee). Source of information is from Sophos web site and I think it was Global Services that mention that it was a feature that they needed
USA
pete_arnett-p40

RussellHltn wrote:Anti-virus, item #4 - the Jury's still out on that part as at least some dial-up users are NOT being updated.

Frankly, I'd just tell them that CHQ has asked us to do these updates. I don't see the point in giving a list of reasons.
Russell - Happy New Year and thanks for the feed back
Will remove items 4 and 5 from the Anti-virus software upgrade section
USA
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I guess I should explain my reasoning a bit more. While I generally agree with the capability of the software, there is no promise that the church will use any of that. I think you're creating a risk that the users will come back on you as some kind of "broken promise".

Secondly, the computers belong to the church. They are assigned to the ward, but they are not owned by the ward. As such, the question is not "may I", it's "when may I".

IMO, I think it would be better not to circulate such a thing to the users. If they ask, you can answer verbally on why you think the church is doing it. But otherwise I'd limit it to what the church has shared with us - that they want it done by a certain time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”