Page 1 of 1

MLS Send/Receive Privilege

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:21 am
by rontilby
I think that MLS Users with only "Organization" privileges are able to do a Send/Receive by clicking the yellow Send/Receive button in the lower right corner of the MLS application window.
This is bad because:
1. They don't know the right answers to the "Do you want to print" dialogs.
2. They could print newly received Membership records that they should not have access to.
3. They could cause the clerk(s) to lose track of what's happening with memberships and finance CHQ transactions.

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:35 pm
by kisaac
It seems correct that the send / receive should be a higher level than "organizational" for the reasons you specify. Have you checked to see if they actually are allowed to print received membership and recommend reports, and not a "send / receive" with no print opportunity?

Because I don't know...

Not sure why my Sunday school president would do a send/receive anyway, but I don't want him looking at the recommend activation report, member records, etc.

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:35 pm
by Mikerowaved
kisaac wrote:It seems correct that the send / receive should be a higher level than "organizational" for the reasons you specify. Have you checked to see if they actually are allowed to print received membership and recommend reports, and not a "send / receive" with no print opportunity?

MLS doesn't care who initiated the S/R, whoever happens to be sitting there has one opportunity to print whatever comes across (unless they save it as a PDF file for later printing, as has been discussed in other threads). And rontilby is correct, on occasion MLS may send some fairly confidential stuff.

feature request

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:25 am
by thedunsons
I don't suppose MLS has a feature request listing, does it? This is one that has always been in the what-if section of my mind. Especially in the wards I have been in where the secretary's have MLS access for recording / printing organizational data.

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:43 am
by aebrown
relaxmosphere wrote:I don't suppose MLS has a feature request listing, does it? This is one that has always been in the what-if section of my mind. Especially in the wards I have been in where the secretary's have MLS access for recording / printing organizational data.


Suggestions are being gathered on the wiki at MLS: Feedback and Suggestions; I have added this suggestion to that page, along with a link back to this thread. You can also send suggestions through Local Unit Support.

Important Feature Improvement send/reveive

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:02 am
by daryl1
Thank you Alan for adding this very important feature. I have had many problems as a Ward Clerk of having others print out things using the send/receive button. Sometimes leaders put print outs in my box, and sometimes they do not. I agree 100% the send/receive rights needs to be move to a higher level other than organizational soon.

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:38 pm
by kisaac
rontilby wrote:I think that MLS Users with only "Organization" privileges are able to do a Send/Receive by clicking the yellow Send/Receive button in the lower right corner of the MLS application window.
This is bad....



As I added a new "organization level" MLS user's account sunday, I checked the option checkbox offered while setting it up that said something like "hide 'send/receive successful' dialog" and wished it hid the whole send and receive line, including the button that you hit to do the send / receive.

Why the option to hide the statement that it was successful, but still allow that user to do it?

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:54 pm
by aebrown
kisaac wrote:Why the option to hide the statement that it was successful, but still allow that user to do it?


It's simply a way to allow each user to specify a preference to not display the confirmation dialog at the end of a transmission. You may wish it were more, but that's all it was ever intended to be.

I don't really see any connection between that little feature and the subject of this thread -- I think MLS should simply disable Send/Receive for users with only organizational permissions.