backup database error

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
CreightonNT
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:05 am
Location: Highland, UT, USA

Postby CreightonNT » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:41 am

I've been watching for solutions to this problem for a few weeks now. The problem has hit 3 of our ward computers. All of them are brand new computers that I set up just prior to the mls 3.2.1 release. Several other wards also on new computers have not had the problem.

It seems to me that until there is an actual fix for this problem it would be reasonable to simply make copies of the unit and data directories and save them as backups. Then the clerk can simply ignore the error messages. This means that we don't lose any data by restoring from the Church's backup. It's not hard to automate copying these directories.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 8698
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:13 pm

tom.cr8on wrote:It seems to me that until there is an actual fix for this problem it would be reasonable to simply make copies of the unit and data directories and save them as backups.


This sounds as if it would work as a temporary measure. Also, I have heard from another source that MLS 3.2.2 fixes the backup problem. This version is in beta testing right now and will probably be released soon.

CreightonNT
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:05 am
Location: Highland, UT, USA

Postby CreightonNT » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:49 pm

OK. So here is a bit of success. Today I tried the following on three different ward computers. Each one resolved the problem. Not much different from other posts.

1) Send/Receive.
2) Try to backup - to verify that the error still happens.
3) Exit MLS.
4) I renamed the data directory (c:\program files\lds church\mls\<unit number>\data). And that path is from memory so maybe it's not exact. Anyway, I renamed the data directory. I chose to rename it to data-2010-08-22 but it won't matter what it's called.
5) Restarted MLS.
6) Try backup - it works.

Along the way I also looked to ensure that financial and membership data appeared unchanged.

Hope this helps. I did notice that after this procedure a subsequent send/receive downloaded a couple of files that were approximately named tools/patchw.dll and tools/patchw.exe. Don't know what that's about. Don't think it is applicable here.

Note also that I tried renaming the fsStorage subdirectory. That did not have any effect on the backup problem.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest