Mls 3.2.4

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:08 pm

boomerbubba wrote:Can any stake or ward user with access to the most recent beta reported above, 3.3.0b4 build 19168, determine whether the Membership.csv export file has the MRN column?

Just tested this on a unit that has 3.3.0b4. The options are slightly modified so I'm attaching a screen shot.

family data export.jpg
family data export.jpg (23.79 KiB) Viewed 672 times

The exports from this unit (running Windows 7) also do not contain MRN, even if that is the only field I select. After selecting "Family Data", you select "Customize" and can choose what fields to export. Because MRN is one of the options, I would assume that information has not intentionally been removed from the export. It is likely a bug.

I noticed there are also no headers in the export file.

I have tested this on another unit running 3.3.0b4 on Windows XP sp3. It still has the "Export Membership Data" option. However, the exported data does not contain MRN. It also has "export family data" and "export individual data" options. Neither of these show MRN in the export file even though it is selected in the "Customize" options.

RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1346
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Postby RossEvans » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:00 pm

crislapi wrote:Just tested this on a unit that has 3.3.0b4. The options are slightly modified so I'm attaching a screen shot.
...

The exports from this unit (running Windows 7) also do not contain MRN, even if that is the only field I select. After selecting "Family Data", you select "Customize" and can choose what fields to export. Because MRN is one of the options, I would assume that information has not intentionally been removed from the export. It is likely a bug.

I noticed there are also no headers in the export file.

I have tested this on another unit running 3.3.0b4 on Windows XP sp3. It still has the "Export Membership Data" option. However, the exported data does not contain MRN. It also has "export family data" and "export individual data" options. Neither of these show MRN in the export file even though it is selected in the "Customize" options.


Thanks for that effort. The dialog you illustrated is not what produces the Membership.csv file. By selecting Family or Individual data, the dialog has always created the PalmFamily.csv file or PalmIndividual.csv files respectively.

Whether or not the option to export Membership.csv appears depends on user privilege. If the user has the right privilege, Membership is listed as the top choice among the checkboxes in the first dialog. If not, the choice does not even show up. Perhaps the MRN data being suppressed in the output of PalmFamily.csv in that test was also a function of the lower privilege in that session.

However, I think your test on the other unit (the one running XP) is what matters. From your report of this test, it appears that the MRN column is still being dropped from Membership.csv in the latest build.

I suggest that the immediate action required is to find out if this is a bug or a deliberate design change. Presumably, those units who are in the 3.3.0 beta program have the standing to report bugs in the version. If it is a bug, it obviously needs to be fixed before production release.

If this is by design, or if it is a bug not fixed, that would be a big negative surprise not just for the beta units today, but for all units soon because 3.3.0 is supposed to be deployed generally. That change would break the software -- Ward Tools, etc. -- used by many stake and ward leaders.

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:18 pm

boomerbubba wrote:Thanks for that effort. The dialog you illustrated is not what produces the Membership.csv file. By selecting Family or Individual data, the dialog has always created the PalmFamily.csv file or PalmIndividual.csv files respectively.

Whether or not the option to export Membership.csv appears depends on user privilege.

I didn't think about that. I was testing it while another clerk was logged in. I just retested it with my credentials (admin) and indeed, the export membership data option is there. I've attached an updated screenshot. The export, however, still does not contain the MRN.

admin export options.jpg
admin export options.jpg (23.8 KiB) Viewed 667 times

boomerbubba wrote:I suggest that the immediate action required is to find out if this is a bug or a deliberate design change. Presumably, those units who are in the 3.3.0 beta program have the standing to report bugs in the version. If it is a bug, it obviously needs to be fixed before production release.

I submitted a bug report to LUS just after posting my reply.

User avatar
childsdj
Community Moderators
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:51 am

Postby childsdj » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:49 pm

boomerbubba wrote:I suggest that the immediate action required is to find out if this is a bug or a deliberate design change. Presumably, those units who are in the 3.3.0 beta program have the standing to report bugs in the version. If it is a bug, it obviously needs to be fixed before production release.

If this is by design, or if it is a bug not fixed, that would be a big negative surprise not just for the beta units today, but for all units soon because 3.3.0 is supposed to be deployed generally. That change would break the software -- Ward Tools, etc. -- used by many stake and ward leaders.


This is by design. It is meant to be a low key part of the release. It is being done because of some data privacy issues. It is understood that this may cause some 3rd party applications some problems, but the MRN needed to be taken out.

RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1346
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Postby RossEvans » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:22 pm

DJC wrote:This is by design. It is meant to be a low key part of the release. It is being done because of some data privacy issues. It is understood that this may cause some 3rd party applications some problems, but the MRN needed to be taken out.


It is hard to comprehend how this could be considered "low key," since it would break the tools used by thousands of local priesthood leaders before they have a viable replacement. And not all the tools that would break are exactly "3rd party" at the moment, as the roadmap of Community projects might indicate to interested managers. (That's about all I can say in this forum.)

If something must be deprecated, there are ways to do it more gracefully. Did anyone consider any alternatives, such as leaving the MRN column but nulling the actual MRN data in the records? I believe that is how suppression occurs in some other export files.

rwoodmansee
New Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: Carrollton, TX USA

Postby rwoodmansee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:30 am

DJC wrote:This is by design. It is meant to be a low key part of the release. It is being done because of some data privacy issues. It is understood that this may cause some 3rd party applications some problems, but the MRN needed to be taken out.


Is there a way to request that this be reconsidered? I know that our stake presidency and bishoprics in our stake actually depend on having the MRN in the tools that they use. It is very handy during temple reccommend interviews to verify that the number is correctly entered on the reccommend.

User avatar
childsdj
Community Moderators
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:51 am

Postby childsdj » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:11 am

RWoodmansee wrote:Is there a way to request that this be reconsidered? I know that our stake presidency and bishoprics in our stake actually depend on having the MRN in the tools that they use. It is very handy during temple reccommend interviews to verify that the number is correctly entered on the reccommend.

At this point it is not there. This decision was made from councils much higher than myself. I have let them know of the concerns that have been raised. There is a legal and ecclesiastical piece to why it was removed, but I don't have all of the details.

If anything changes I will let you know.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest