Standard Callings in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Alan_Brown wrote:I think it makes more sense to include all custom positions on the Directory.
We started to get this added and they found a bug in the CDOL code :(. The good news is that I have fixed that bug. Now the question is when they will have time to try again, and what other bugs do I still have hiding out there.:eek:
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

idjeeper wrote:Just curious - When the calling 'Relief Society Other' is selected, is the box below it available to be filled? Like 'Primary Worker' can then have the class specified in the lower box. Then the actual RS job could be specified.

Its not as much of an issue anymore but in the past, CDOL and the LUWS did not recognize custom positions so they didn't show up in the on-line calling lists. I'm not sure about CDOL, but I believe that now the custom positions do appear on the LUWS. It seems like the 'Relief Society Other' would be a way to have a standard name for a bunch of custom positions and thus, get them to appear on-line. In our RS, there seemed to be several of those types of callings.
I don't think you would like the results. Because of the bug that created 'Relief Society Other', when it comes up to CDOL it shows as something different. As part of the cleanup effort CDOL deletes that calling and tells MLS to delete it also.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Thanks for clarifying that, Alan and Ryan. I didn't pay enough attention to Ryan's earlier post.

As Emily Litella would say .... "Never mind"! ;)
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

atticusewig wrote:
Has anyone seen any other oddities in the "Standard Callings" ?
Yes. You can be called as an "instructor" in most organizations, but you cannot in Primary. You can only be called as a "Primary Worker."
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

idjeeper wrote:Like 'Primary Worker' can then have the class specified in the lower box.
The question I have had regarding Primary Worker is are there no teachers in Primary any more? Primary Worker sounds much more like a baby sitter. If I still had children of Primary age, I would keep them home before sending them to Primary that has no teachers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rpyne wrote:The question I have had regarding Primary Worker is are there no teachers in Primary any more? Primary Worker sounds much more like a baby sitter. If I still had children of Primary age, I would keep them home before sending them to Primary that has no teachers.
We called them Primary Workers 40 years ago. Shortly after that, we started calling them Primary Teachers. The current Handbook calls them Primary Teachers. The only place they are still called Workers is from the podium when they are incorrectly sustained, and perhaps in MLS. I cannot check MLS, because I have no Primary anything except presidency standard positions.

That said, we have no control over the name assigned by the MLS developers to the standard callings. So I would use Primary Worker (or whatever is in MLS) for now.
Originally Posted by atticusewig Image

Has anyone seen any other oddities in the "Standard Callings" ?
Yes. I have very few of them in MLS version 3.3b6. In fact, there are hardly any standard callings at all. But that is an issue for another thread.
geowizrd4zion

Boy Scout calling confusion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

atticusewig wrote:Has anyone seen any other oddities in the "Standard Callings" ?

Some crossed wires:
under Boy Scouts in MLS, one finds "Young Men Varsity Leader" which should be "Boy Scouts - Varsity Coach". Curiously, it morphs to Boy Scouts - Varsity Leader in the online directory linked to MLS.

Similarly, "Boy Scouts - Assistant Varsity Leader" should be "Boy Scouts - Assistant Varsity Coach", and it morphs to "Young Men Assistant Varsity Coach" in the Young Men section of the online directory linked to MLS.

in the MLS standard callings list under "Boy Scouts", it has the following that should be preceded by Boy Scouts instead of "Young Men":
Young Men Assistant Varsity Leader
Young Men Assistant Venturer Adviser
Young Men Varsity Leader
Young Men Venturer Adviser

finally, in the MLS standard callings list under "Young Men", it has the following that should be over in the "Boy Scouts" organization (clerks often naturally assume this is for the YM basketball coach!)
Young Men Varsity Coach

anyway, somebody who understands scouting better than i do needs to help the programmers clean up this basket of needlessly confusing oddities...

(all of the above from MLS 3.2.3 and 3.2.4)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

From a test install of MLS 3.2.4 I extracted the standard positions list for both a ward and a stake. I do not know if this is unique to a test install but there were missing positions from that list.

The stake was missing the Stake President, Stake Presidency 1st Counselor, Stake Presidency 2nd Counselor, Stake Clerk, and Stake Executive Secretary.

The ward list had Clerk and Assistant Clerk in the Out of Unit organization. I don't know if this naming is intentional but it does not align with the other Out of Unit names for stake positions which included the word Stake in the name. I would assume Clerk should be Stake Clerk and Assistant Clerk should be Stake Assistant Clerk.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:From a test install of MLS 3.2.4 I extracted the standard positions list for both a ward and a stake. I do not know if this is unique to a test install but there were missing positions from that list.

The stake was missing the Stake President, Stake Presidency 1st Counselor, Stake Presidency 2nd Counselor, Stake Clerk, and Stake Executive Secretary.

These are now under a different link. In the same area where a stake reports the calling of a new bishop, there is a link to report those stake positions (except for president).
jdlessley wrote:The ward list had Clerk and Assistant Clerk in the Out of Unit organization. I don't know if this naming is intentional but it does not align with the other Out of Unit names for stake positions which included the word Stake in the name. I would assume Clerk should be Stake Clerk and Assistant Clerk should be Stake Assistant Clerk.

It would be in the wrong place, but I did not check the Out of Unit organization to see if the positions were hiding there. Who knows what would happen if we input an assistant clerk there, but at least it is a start.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:These are now under a different link. In the same area where a stake reports the calling of a new bishop, there is a link to report those stake positions (except for president).
That has always been the case since MLS 3.0.
Tier 1 leadership callings are not entered using the normal procedure for all other callings.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”