Standard Callings in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kisaac wrote:That "human review" may explain my "oddity" in our version of MLS. If the callings are "standard" across mls and CDOL, then why:

In MLS, I recently chose the standard calling of Relief Society Committee Members for those called to it. However, in CDOL and thus the Leader tools on lds.org, these same people are listed as Relief Society Board Members. But, in MLS, it continues to list them as Committee members, and there is no board member standard option.

The standard calling for "those people that prepare and discuss a lesson" are listed in the standard calling of Relief Society Teachers in our MLS computer and printouts, yet In CDOL they are magically transformed to Relief Society Instructors. There is no Relief Society Instructor standard mls calling that I can find.

The standard callings themselves, in fact, are not standard?
(we have not uploaded the new beta 3.3.0b7 yet- it may solve all our woes!)
That is because rather than relying on text to match callings up between MLS and CDOL we use the underlying id to match them up. Those names can be changed in CDOL by the admins and are coded by MLS. It is on the roadmap for CDOL/MLS to have those names and lists synchronized.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ryan jones wrote:Now that you've done that, do those positions show up in the list if you try to add another one?
I checked. No, the standard callings still do not show up. The only callings that showed up are the custom positions I used to work around the problem in the first place.

After I deleted the custom positions, the list is blank.

Good workaround. Still a problem with the basic MLS program. (I am using MLS 3.3b6. I see that b7 is available. Wonder if they fixed it?
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Forgive the ignorance, but I have scanned a bit and am trying to get up to speed while our clerk is gone (and our membership clerk knows less than me as exec sec).

It seems that "leadership" positions in MLS roll up to CDOL, and I presume then hit the new lds.org directory as well. I presume this is whether it is custom or not. Is this correct? Could someone point me to some materials that would enable me and our membership clerk to get up to speed on how CDOL, MLS and the new unit web site all work with each other?

Yesterday I spent a bit of time trying to chase down why our librarian was not showing up on the web site. She was in MLS. I saw today that she was not in CDOL. But she said the web site had the wrong person as librarian, which I presume she must mean the classic local web site. Frankly, we are writing off the classic and putting all of our efforts into the new, so I just want to get the new site current.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

tortdog wrote:It seems that "leadership" positions in MLS roll up to CDOL, and I presume then hit the new lds.org directory as well. I presume this is whether it is custom or not. Is this correct?
All positions should end up in CDOL. The "leadership" positions in MLS are just a way of grouping them.
Currently the new directory only shows standard positions from CDOL.
tortdog wrote: Yesterday I spent a bit of time trying to chase down why our librarian was not showing up on the web site. She was in MLS. I saw today that she was not in CDOL.
If it is just one calling then the easiest way it to make a small change to the calling in MLS (change the sustained date, save, then change it back), then do a send/receive and CDOL should see the calling within a few minutes.
alan.richardson

Post by alan.richardson »

What would cause an entire organization (priesthood leadership within a branch) not to show up on the "new" lds.org directory (not "classic") BRANCH LEADERS AND ORGANIZATIONS? The list is Branch Presidency, Relief Society, Sunday School, Young Men, Young Women, Primary, Boy Scouts, the YM quorums, the YW classes and Other Callings.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Alan.Richardson wrote:What would cause an entire organization (priesthood leadership within a branch) not to show up on the "new" lds.org directory (not "classic") BRANCH LEADERS AND ORGANIZATIONS? The list is Branch Presidency, Relief Society, Sunday School, Young Men, Young Women, Primary, Boy Scouts, the YM quorums, the YW classes and Other Callings.
If there are no standard callings for that organization then it wouldn't show up.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

JonesRK wrote:
aebrown wrote:I think it makes more sense to include all custom positions on the Directory.
We started to get this added and they found a bug in the CDOL code :(. The good news is that I have fixed that bug. Now the question is when they will have time to try again, and what other bugs do I still have hiding out there.:eek:
I noticed that the directory is now displaying the custom positions.:)
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

Just out of curiosity, how is the order the callings are listed determined?

When I look at my Other callings, the Ward missionary is at the top of the list, then the Activities Committee Chairperson (I know, I know...the bishop isn't quite ready to let go, but we're persuading him), and then the rest of the ward missionaries? I have the ward mission grouped together in MLS

Another curious case is the building representative. In addition to the building rep, we have three other people called as a committee to keep up on maintenance and cleaning. The building rep appears after the ward mission, and the committee (standard positions), appear farther down the list.

I'm just wondering if I might be able to game the system to get people grouped together if I know more about how the directory orders them.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

nutterb wrote:Just out of curiosity, how is the order the callings are listed determined?
CDOL defines a position type order and that is what is being used for now.
nutterb wrote:I'm just wondering if I might be able to game the system to get people grouped together if I know more about how the directory orders them.
Currently not much you can do about the order.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JonesRK wrote:I noticed that the directory is now displaying the custom positions.:)

Yes. I also notice that it has displayed our Family History Center Director as a custom position, when he is loaded into MLS in a standard position. This should prove interesting when we try to finish up the audit this month.

I will have to go back into MLS this week to check, but I am almost certain there was a star by his position when I pulled it off of the standard list to add him.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”