Flag membership record in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:29 pm

lajackson wrote:Move restrictions are often related to two issues. Either the member is in the process of disciplinary action, or the bishop has identified the member as someone who has misused the Church welfare system.

That's probably why it was created, but it comes in handy if you get into a tug-of-war with another unit. :D

lajackson wrote:When sending a record, there used to be a way to flag the record causing the new unit leader to call the old unit leader.

I'm pretty sure there still is, but it's only available when sending the record, not when it gets pulled from you.

jbh001
Community Moderators

Postby jbh001 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:06 am

thedqs wrote:What information is in the move-out, does it include the ward the member moved to? If not then it wouldn't have the benefit that they are looking for.
I think we all are confusing the Members Moved Out report, which is a stand-alone report, with the Member Record Update Report which only prints as part of Send/Receive Changes. The Member Record Update Report includes the ward/branch and stake/district names and unit numbers for all records moved out of the ward/branch, regardless of whether the records were sent out or pulled out. This same information is not included on the Members Moved Out report.

This is probably why MLS prompts you whether you want to also print a copy of the Member Record Update Report for the bishop, so that he can see if he needs to contact another bishop due to an unexpected move.

The problem with flagging records in advance is that it requires more diligence on the part of the bishop and clerk to keep this up to date. While the current system isn't perfect, it prevents an unnecessary build up of obsolete flags.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:20 pm

RussellHltn wrote:That's probably why it was created, but it comes in handy if you get into a tug-of-war with another unit. :D

No kidding! I had a better solution. I just kept a paper copy of the record and let the other unit have the computer record. Of course, when that happened, there were always bigger issues than who had the record.

But with the paper copy, we could always pull it back, update it, and return it to the offending unit. It used to really frost them when I did that.

mattprasmussen

Move Restriction vs Request for Contact

Postby mattprasmussen » Thu May 22, 2008 12:42 pm

I just spoke with CHQ and got the following definitions while placing one on a membership record:
  • Request for Contact notes a membership record to have a new bishop call when records are moved in, regardless of which unit requests or sends the record.
  • Move Restriction requires a new bishop to call before the record can be moved to the new unit.
They didn't ask for a reason or any details for the flag so it would be better to allow this from MLS rather than making a phone call to CHQ. That would save time and resources.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Thu May 22, 2008 1:14 pm

Matt_Rasmussen wrote:Request for Contact notes a membership record to have a new bishop call when records are moved in, regardless of which unit requests or sends the record.

That's good to know - but doesn't it depend on the ward noticing the notice? If they skip printing the move-ins they may miss that.

jfackerson

Postby jfackerson » Thu May 22, 2008 5:42 pm

I've been printing for Bishop a copy of Record of Membership (ROM) along with its
associated Membership Record Update Report (MRUR) whenever a member
is assigned to our ward from CHQ Address Unknown Department (AUD) or from
another unit as Unrequested Move Ins.

This gives me another good reason to print an extra copy of MRUR for our Bishop
on all Unrequested Move Outs. I do keep a paper copy of ROM of all such, but have had
no previous reason to notify Bishop by printing an extra MRUR copy.

For all other MRURs, I print only one copy for office retention.

To conserve paper, we've begun using blank back sides of 2006 MRUR sheets
for our printing of 2008 MRUR retention copies. This also, decreases shredder use.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”