MLS 3.4.1 released - old categories returned, no longer zeroed

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15104
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:30 pm

crislapi wrote:As with the CUBS setup file, I imagine we will again lose any sub-sub-category classification.
...
There will likely be some inconvenience in losing the sub-sub-category info...


I know you only use the word "imagine", but what's the basis for that suspicion? I see nothing in the documents that would indicate that sub-sub-category classifications will be lost. I assume by "sub-sub-category" you mean a subcategory at the level of, for example, Budget:Young Men:Scouts. We have a large number of transactions categorized at that level, particularly in subcategories of Budget:Miscellaneous.

It's clear you were a beta tester for 3.4.1. Did you actually lose all sub-sub-category classifications during the beta test?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

jamesbcomstock
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Upgrade problem

Postby jamesbcomstock » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:48 am

I have updated MLS per instructions in the email that the bishop received this week, and I believe I am experiencing the same issues outlined in this thread.
I'm afraid I am not quite a technical as you good folks - is there any succinct instruction on how to rectify the numerous accounts in the negative, etc.? I began as the financial clerk shortly after the first of the year, so I do not have experience with the previous system, but it does appear that many old categories or subcategories are now active and carrying balances.
Thanks

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15104
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:25 am

jamesbcomstock wrote:I have updated MLS per instructions in the email that the bishop received this week, and I believe I am experiencing the same issues outlined in this thread.
I'm afraid I am not quite a technical as you good folks - is there any succinct instruction on how to rectify the numerous accounts in the negative, etc.? I began as the financial clerk shortly after the first of the year, so I do not have experience with the previous system, but it does appear that many old categories or subcategories are now active and carrying balances.


This thread started out with a couple of incorrect assumptions: first, that MLS 3.4.1 had been released (which wasn't true then, but now is); and second, that the category changes were connected with the upgrade to MLS 3.4.1. The second point is not quite true; upgrading to MLS 3.4.1 should not immediately affect any of your balances or categories. The action that will have an impact on categories and balances will happen after October 17, when a setup file is transmitted to your ward, as detailed in the instructions sent in an MLS message (and attached to this post).

The person who started this thread (crislapi) saw those changes earlier than most everyone else because he was a beta tester, but the rest of us shouldn't see any category changes until after October 17. Are you sure that the category problems you are seeing are related to the MLS 3.4.1 upgrade, or is it possible you only noticed them after the upgrade, but they existed previously?

In any case, I think it would be helpful for you to try to get all your categories in good shape with reliable balances before the October 17 event, so that you will have a good foundation and will be able to distinguish between preexisting issues and problems that may be caused by the October 17 setup file.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:40 pm

aebrown wrote:I know you only use the word "imagine", but what's the basis for that suspicion? I see nothing in the documents that would indicate that sub-sub-category classifications will be lost.

I do, but that's ok. Remember, this was based on a hunch, not proof. If the setup file doesn't actually remove sub-category info, I won't be upset. However, the last time we were told to just print summary reports for an anticipated setup file, I remember wishing I had printed detail ones. I see no harm in taking lessons from the past (CUBS, for example). If I'm wrong, I don't think anyone will complain.

aebrown wrote:It's clear you were a beta tester for 3.4.1. Did you actually lose all sub-sub-category classifications during the beta test?

Yes, I'm a beta tester. No, I did not lose sub-category info. I will also point out, however, that I don't think I've received this anticipated set-up file yet. Maybe I have, but then again, as a beta-tester I was never given the following instruction:
It is important that no finance work be done in MLS on that day or any other day thereafter until the setup file is processed by MLS.
I conclude, therefore, that something more is coming down the pipe than what I've already seen. Again, I may be wrong. Finally, the only times LUS asks me to print finance reports is when a setup file MAY cause a loss of information in my sub-categories.

aebrown wrote:Are you sure that the category problems you are seeing are related to the MLS 3.4.1 upgrade, or is it possible you only noticed them after the upgrade, but they existed previously?

I would also curious to know if others who have upgraded to 3.4.1 have seen any changes in their finance reports or if everything has stayed as it was.

allenjpl
Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:26 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA

Postby allenjpl » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:22 pm

crislapi wrote:I would also curious to know if others who have upgraded to 3.4.1 have seen any changes in their finance reports or if everything has stayed as it was.


So far, the only change I've seen is the addition of a "posted" column in the income & expense reports. But 3.4.1 (what we've got now) is one thing, and the database rebuild (what is coming on October 17) is another.

rontilby
Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Postby rontilby » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:49 pm

crislapi wrote:I would also curious to know if others who have upgraded to 3.4.1 have seen any changes in their finance reports or if everything has stayed as it was.

On Monday 3 Oct 2011 I printed a Budget Allowance Summary Report (1 Jan 2011 - 3 Oct 2011) both before and after upgrading to 3.4.1.
Before: The "Budget Allocations" line has blanks in all of the Amount columns.
No subcategories printed.

After: The "Budget Allocations" line has Transfers: -461.88 Assigned Budget Balance: -461.88
Subcategory: "BUD-AGENT BISHOP" Transfers: 309.13 Assigned Budget Balance: 309.13
Subcatagory: "BUD-SCOUTS" Transfers: 27.75 Assigned Budget Balance: 27.75
Subcategory: "Building Library" Transfers: 125.00 Assigned Budget Balance: 125.00

So, Yes, my Budget Allowance Summary Report changed as a result of upgrading to 3.4.1.
I have taken no corrective action regarding this change. Should I? If so, what, and when?

davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Postby davesudweeks » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:01 pm

I don't have the actual accounts here at home, but we had 3 old pre-cubs accounts re-appear with the 3.4.1 update. All are now showing negative balances that were previously zeroed out using transfers. I, too, have not taken any corrective action on them. I already transferred money from Budget to zero them after the CUBS rollout and now I suppose I will have to transfer from Budget to zero them again. Our budget did not increase with the update, we just inherited about $400 in negative balances that had been zeroed and inactivated before.

sbrookfowler
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:36 pm
Location: Greenville, SC, USA

Postby sbrookfowler » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Same here. Significant negative balances of previously zeroed-out categories following 3.4.1 update. No corrective action taken yet.

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:28 pm

rontilby wrote:So, Yes, my Budget Allowance Summary Report changed as a result of upgrading to 3.4.1.
I have taken no corrective action regarding this change. Should I? If so, what, and when?

davesudweeks wrote:Our budget did not increase with the update, we just inherited about $400 in negative balances that had been zeroed and inactivated before.

sbrookfowler wrote:Same here. Significant negative balances of previously zeroed-out categories following 3.4.1 update. No corrective action taken yet.

I can't say conclusively, but it would appear from these posts that upgrading to 3.4.1 put them in the same boat I am in. That is to say, modified MLS so their financial transactions are listed by posting date rather than transaction date.

I have also found that, following the reconciling instructions in the MLS 3.4.1 Changes document, my finances do not reconcile. I wonder if the setup file will fix that.

As for what to do, I would recommend just waiting for the setup file before trying to move anything around.

tbadger
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:41 am

Postby tbadger » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:03 pm

After having upgraded to 3.4.1_20158, our finances are showing the same issue with accounts having negative transfers showing that show for example, a posted 16 Jan. 2011 date, and a date of 31 Dec. 2011. So at least from my perspective, the issue initially addressed by the original post is evident in the 'official' release we received.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest