Blessing a child who already has a record

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
danger

Re: Blessing a child who already has a record

Post by danger »

egamer25 wrote:should we have blessed her before the sealing?
eabrown wrote: There is no policy or procedure that dictates that a blessing must occur before or after a sealing; either order is just fine.
I’m interested in his one, as our temple recorder has informed us that we need to perform the naming and blessing before we are sealed. I understand that the child (adopted in our case) needs a record on the system to be sealed, but can’t see anything that says they need to be blessed. It is not a saving ordnance, and not part of the living ordnance interview process, and I doubt it is even checked at the temple as part of organising the sealing. The handbook is very clear on what is needed and a blessing is not mentioned.

I querying this as as we had planned to get the sealing done ASAP, and do a blessing when all the families can be together (member and non member). We recognise that the blessing is importance but not a saving ordnance, whereas the sealing we should go ahead with ASAP.

Is there anything I can show to the temple record or do I just have to accept his version?

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Blessing a child who already has a record

Post by russellhltn »

danger wrote:Is there anything I can show to the temple record or do I just have to accept his version?
I think all you can do is ask for evidence that it's required as it doesn't appear in the Handbook.

What's more, I'm told that the membership system doesn't even store blessing information, so short of presenting the paper certificate, there's no way for him to check to see if a blessing has been done.

My best guess is that he's under the impression that a blessing is required to create the record. That's not true, but that is the most common case for a very young child.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”