Stake Conference Broadcasts - Alternative to Church Servers

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

BrianTAllen wrote:This was actually the first broadcast where we DID turn off the wireless (actually we changed the password so no one could connect).

But bandwidth speed tests from the broadcast machine still showed 15M down and 2 M up, so nothing was consuming the bandwidth. Also, the problems started before the crowds really showed up, and the only thing that changed (as far as I can tell), was that once we got disconnected we could no longer reconnect for more than 30 seconds.

It's great that the infrastructure was just upgraded (I'm sure more and more of the stakes are using this, all on Sunday morning, which poses a real challenge for your IT team). I'd be interested to know if the logs show anything.

Thanks!
Brian
Brian - we're doing a deep dive on the logs tomorrow. There may have been a specific issue. Can you send me your unit number used in the webcast? That way I can track your specific streams.
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
BrianTAllen

Post by BrianTAllen »

ksolsen wrote:Brian - we're doing a deep dive on the logs tomorrow. There may have been a specific issue. Can you send me your unit number used in the webcast? That way I can track your specific streams.

Kurt, I PM'd the unit number to you. Sorry, I just now saw your post.

Thanks,
Brian
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

Brian & others tracking this post,

We have spent a number of hours over the past few days looking at the log files for webcast events on August 26. Based on your unit number, Brian, we were able to see the starts and stops you experienced.

We also looked at what was happening on all webcast-related servers (inbound reflectors, coordinator, web servers, and outbound reflectors). I can tell you that the issue was not server capacity. There were a fair number of webcast events happening, but we did not exceed server capacity. The issue seems to be network-related on the HQ side. I'll post additional details as we get them.
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
BrianTAllen

Post by BrianTAllen »

Kurt,

Thank you so much for the update and the serious consideration you're giving this. I really appreciate it.

It's great to know the capacity is there and this was just a one-off problem that's being looked into.

Thanks,
Brian
kwinpete

Is Pre-recording a possibility?

Post by kwinpete »

We are having a Stake conference broadcast this month and due to the size of our stake, we are gathering in three buildings. The problem for me is that over the last two weeks, our new Cisco firewalls have crashed several times and two of the three buildings (one of which is the stake center). Physical Facilities has been called, but I am nervous about our internet outages.

Is the September conference somehow available in advance? Having the broadcast on DVD at each building would be tremendously reassuring.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kwinpete wrote:our new Cisco firewalls have crashed several times and two of the three buildings (one of which is the stake center).

I'd have a hard look at the environment they've been placed in. Cisco is a high-grade device. While I'm sure a bad unit gets out now and then, to have more the one suggests it's not being installed in a compatible environment - be it bad power, high heat or lack of ventilation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Secondhome

Re: Stake Conference Broadcasts - Alternative to Church Servers

Post by Secondhome »

I have been working to get a broadcast I felt was reliable for two years now... I have found a service that works perfectly but it is not provided by the church. The church has three systems. I have noticed the older two systems seem to work better on Sunday but not what I would call adequate. The Newest Webcast system works great on any day but Sunday. This seems to be an issue with the internet traffic in my area on Sunday. As an additional option I have started using a third party video conferencing service. The service I used for my most recent conference was Zoom.us. This service uses significantly less bandwidth, and this seems to be the key to resolving the issues I am having. When I perform my tests on Sunday using the Zoom.us service, I don't have to worry about disabling the wireless in the building in order to get enough band with to broadcast or receive. This service just works. I have the church systems setup as an alternative and continue to test them under the same circumstances but the only broadcast that works well is the Zoom.us system. I want to use the free church systems but due to their performance I have moved to third party options. The Zoom.com service has some cost to it. There is a monthly charge to use their service and this allows a video conference system to be setup. The Basic Charge is $15 a month. This allows unlimited meetings but to do just a broadcast there is another option. The Webinar function of this service costs $55 a month for 100 attendees. This option seems to be the best fit, but is more costly. I would like to resolve the ongoing issues this stake has with the provided Church Systems, but I have been unsuccessful thus far.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”