Sony EVI-D70: Results of first Stake Conference Webcast

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
KeithWilson

Sony EVI-D70: Results of first Stake Conference Webcast

Post by KeithWilson »

This past weekend we had our first webcast with the Sony EVI-D70. It was a success, we had no glitches or problems. The key to success was testing and more testing. Our first webcast without the Audio Mixer and the EVI-D70 didn't go very well.

In summary, we installed the camera below the curtain wall at the back middle of the chapel (Photos below). For control, we went with the RS-422 to USB adapter, then controlled the camera with a regular Laptop with Windows 7. I had a small TV from the library to view the signal, and the Mackie 402-VLZ3 audio mixer with the Webcast Communicator. I used the connections and instructions found in the video here http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Meetinghouse_Webcast_training then view the tutorial called "How to Send a Webcast", it worked perfectly.

Many of the products we used can be found here:
http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Availability_o ... components.

Products we used for our conference: (Watch the tutorial above "How to Send a Webcast" and you will see where each of the following parts are used, except the phone system backup)
Camera: Sony EVI-D70
Webcast kit from poll sound in Salt Lake City 801-261-2500.
Kit includes:
Mackie 402-VLZ3
¼” TS – ¼” TS 3 ft.
¼” TS – RCA Male 5 ft.
RCA “Y” Cable
¼” TRS – Male XLR 3 ft
3.5mm TRS – Female XLR 3 ft
Emtech EJ-R telephone back-up
30 dB pad

We had our local FM group install the camera, and wire a video cable, and a CAT-6 cable to control the camera. They were installed to the satellite cabinet in the materials center. To control the camera, we used the instructions and free software found here: http://www.cwshop.com/LDSSoftware/ Inside the instructions to connect the camera, it refers to the RS-422-USB adapter, for camera control. http://www.bestlinknetware.com/Product/150516

In the cultural hall we had two screens, with two projectors. Because the camera signal was also broadcast to the video system of the church, we had a TV in the RS and Primary rooms for overflow. I also setup a TV on the stand so the Stake Presidency could view the broadcast and see what the camera was seeing.

I used the EVI-D70 Commander software and it has the ability to title the shot for hymn #s and names. Very convenient. I worked closely with Louis Puster, author of the control software, SWSupport@cwshop.com and he was helpful and answered questions as needed.

On the receiving site, we used wired Internet feed, and a laptop, connected to the projector, with the crab connecting sound to the building audio. Both buildings had the 881Ws with 1401 WEPs. We disconnected the WEPs and unscrewed the antennas on the 1401s.

I realize others have very different configs, but for ours, it worked great.
WebcastPhotos.ppt
Webcast Photos
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 599 times
rolandc

Re: Sony EVI-D70: Results of first Stake Conference Webcast

Post by rolandc »

Well done, I like the two screens off to the sides like that. Do you happen to have anymore shots of speakers? Just curious what various people will look like with the camera mounted that high. We are about do the same at our SC.
Roland
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

Yea, here is a couple more photos showing the speakers. We didn't have any complaints about it being too high, it was actually just right.
camera angle.jpg
Angle
(27.62 KiB) Downloaded 923 times
Camera Angle2.jpg
Camera Angle2.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Wow. You don't realize how high the angle is until you look at the top of the piano. It would be nice to find a angle that keeps other people's faces out of the picture, but I can't think of any options in a typical chapel except keeping a few seats vacant.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

This angle is nothing compared to my last stake. It had an older building, really tall ceiling, and the camera was mounted at the highest point, at the center, back.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I had requested our facilities group do the exact same thing but they felt the angle would be too high so nothing's happened yet; I was going to set up a tall ladder and experiment with locations.

How did they run the cables?

Do you know what contractor did the work? I'd like to connect our FM with them.
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

CraiggSmith: I sent you a personal message through this system, with our FM group's contact information. I would recommend their work for sure.
rhusted

Post by rhusted »

WOW! Thanks for the screenshots Kevin - this is a FANTASTIC post for Meetinghouse Webcast!

We currently use a tripod-mounted camera at the back-left side of the chapel (near the video port). I'm worried that it's distracting having someone get up and move the camera angle when the speaker changes. So our setup is rather basic (I'll have to attach a PowerPoint like you did - that was great), but it works reasonably well.

Our Webcast Communicator is in the multimedia cabinet in the Library and we've taped instructions (attached to this post) to the inner-door so that with a little training, almost anyone can start the webcast (which comes in handy in Wisconsin if you can't make it to the Stake Center for some reason).
Attachments
webcast.doc
Webcast Communicator Instructions
(135 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

rhusted: Thanks, this is an excellent short quick start, it gets down to the point. I think I will laminate it and tape it right to the top of the webcast communicator. Good work.
mwgbell

Post by mwgbell »

I know that this is a very old post, but it sure seems be have a lot of pertinent information. Just one question. The Powerpoint shows a laptop and mentions that the laptop "controls the camera and adds text". How did you connect the Camera to the laptop; and feed the combined output (video plus overlay text) to the Webcast machine? And did you experience any audio delays (since the video apparently goes through the laptop and the audio goes to the webcast box via the sound mixer)?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”