Church supported Web Broadcast Kit

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
splassle

My assingment from the Stake president

Post by splassle »

As for the webcasting, there is a manual up about how to use the communicator and receiver, and as for the equipment as stated you have to log in via the stake login, which I will do today. But from what I have read on this is that you really don't need the receiver, you just need an broadband internet connection for this to work, and then you connect via a computer and watch it from a computer or if you have a projector you can hook the computer up the to projector.

The other thing that I came across is some web conferencing links that the church approves of. What you do as it seems is send and email to webcasting support with a information and they will setup the account for you. The web conferencing could be used as in bishop training (which as of tonight they are doing a teleconference) or such.

I think it is great that we are able to use this technology, and it will make it easier for those that normally have to travel. I.E. Our Stake President lives an hour from the Stake Center, one of his Councilors and Stake Clerk live 30 miles from the Stake Center. And for Stake Conference we have people traveling at least 3 hours.

This is a great blessing and I am glad to be apart of it. I am glad that they have a simple little unit to do this. It looks as though it is a micro computer designed just for this purpose, no need to edit the feed, or send it through a decoder, it is just simple as plug in the wires choose your connection speed and you are ready.

Good luck all, and I will keep you posted on how we get it all set up.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

You may want to check out this thread if you have not already.
Meetinghouse Webcast
Thanks,
Troy
KGBurton

Web caster arrived last Thursday!

Post by KGBurton »

Our radio based building to building intranet was installed Monday the 9th. QWest DSL was installed the 9th as well (to provide protected internet access for all the buildings). Our Webcaster and Firewall came Thursday. Wireless router testing indicates that we can set up a Notebook computer in the chapel to deliver the video via projector and the audio via the sound system. Stake conference is Mar 22.

I will post more as it becomes available.

Ken
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

junkman1989 wrote:Our radio based building to building intranet was installed Monday the 9th. QWest DSL was installed the 9th as well (to provide protected internet access for all the buildings). Our Webcaster and Firewall came Thursday. Wireless router testing indicates that we can set up a Notebook computer in the chapel to deliver the video via projector and the audio via the sound system. Stake conference is Mar 22.
Radio based? I don't understand what radio has to do with the Church's webcasting solution. I thought it was purely Internet based. Could you please clarify?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

He's probably using a wireless bridge to provide IP connectivity between two buildings. Hence the use of "Intranet" instead of "Internet".

Although how that works with a Church solution could be interesting since I don't know if it can be configured point-to-point. Having to go to the Internet for a Intranet connection seems silly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KGBurton

Post by KGBurton »

Alan_Brown wrote:Radio based? I don't understand what radio has to do with the Church's webcasting solution. I thought it was purely Internet based. Could you please clarify?
The radio based reference earlier is a wireless broadband connection provided by DIGIS. 2mbps up and 4mbps down. As mentioned in the quote above, the Church webcast solution does NOT support point to point. The DIGIS internet connection will be a true internet connection from each building to DIGIS as the ISP. Each building will have the Church provided Cisco firewall between the building network and the ISP. The intranet idea among buildings with a single ISP connection didn't pan out.

The Webcast device (an IOCorp Thin Client) will be installed at the stake center and the media stream directed to the Church resources downtown via the internet. Each of the other buildings will have a notebook computer at the podium that will receive the media broadcast from downtown (via the internet) with the video run to a projector and the audio into the building audio distribution.

We are planning to finish everything tomorrow (Sat Mar 14th) and I will report back.

Ken
KGBurton

Post by KGBurton »

We are operational, hooray!! Stake conference is tomorrow.

Each building (3 total) has its own wireless broadband connection provided by DIGIS. Each building has its own firewall (Cisco from the Church) and Linksys 802.11n wireless router. These routers will also provide internet connections to the clerks' offices where computers will have wireless USB adapters.

Stake Center:
We have a Sony remote controlled camera with the camera controller in the library. Two cat 5 wires run from the chapel where the camera is mounted to the library. One cable provides injected DC power and control signals, the other the video data.

The Church Webcaster is in the library where we have a cat 5 wire coming down from the firewall (in the maintenance area upstairs) to provide the internet connection. We pull the audio from the distribution amp in the library and inject the video into the building video distribution amp (to go to the rest of the building where we have projectors and TVs. We give the Webcaster an ID control number and tell it to connect. It immediately establishes a connection over the internet to the Church's web-streaming hardware in downtown SLC.

Remote Buildings:
We mount a projector on the podium and connect a notebook computer (cheap Acer) using the VGA connector to the projector to display the video on a screen in the chapel. We use the Ivie adapter kit to connect the audio out from the notebook to the building audio. A standard browser points to http://stream.lds.org/unitnum-streamid where unitnum is the stake unit number and streamid is the 6 digit code that we provided to the Webcaster device in the stake center when we started the stream. It takes about 60 seconds for it to fill the buffer and provide the conference feed in the remote building. It has a 60 second delay from the source. The URL could be used by anyone with a network connection so the streamid will not be given out except by bishops to shut-ins. The stake president reviewed our simulated broadcast from work while we were testing.

A professional media installer says the video is a bit noisy and the audio is a bit distorted, but I can't tell it from the hardwired signals on TVs in the building.

During testing, we had four notebooks watching the webcast in the stake center - so five streams were sharing the same internet connection with no disruption to any of the streams. It was interesting to note that the notebooks all had a different timing of the webcast.
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

Could somebody please advise on the cost of the webcast communicator device?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lionelwalters wrote:Could somebody please advise on the cost of the webcast communicator device?
That information is available in the LDS catalog. There are other pieces of hardware available to meet the varying needs of units. This catalog is available in hard copy or available online by appropriate ward and stake leaders (username and password required). For the US it is $1,141.00 USD.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
michaelbuhrley

How well does it work?

Post by michaelbuhrley »

junkman1989 wrote:We are operational, hooray!! Stake conference is tomorrow.

So can we have a report of how it went? Any mistakes, problems, tips, etc.?

I would be interested in hearing how it goes for any other stakes. We will likely jump on the bandwagon in a month or two.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”