Church supported Web Broadcast Kit

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
KGBurton

Post by KGBurton »

Update and Post Script:
It worked wonderfully well, including the Stake Pres inviting his family in Arizona to join us for his talk. The only complaint I heard was "When are they going to put in HD and flat panel screens?" Oh, well.

We had problems with the audio level in the webcast and had to put a 10K variable resistor in the cable providing the audio feed to the Webcaster to prevent it being over-modulated. We didn't want to turn down the audio distribution coming through the building because it was OK for everything else.

Future:
We are going to build a panel that fits into the media cabinet in the library at the stake center so that we don't have to open the cabinet and mess with wires. Since we plan to webcast the regional conferences to the other buildings, we will have a selector on the front to choose between local and satellite and will have 6 outputs for monitors and recording devices. It will also have a variable resister in the panel to control the volume level going to the Webcaster and a head phone jack so we can monitor it. This report has been given to the Church for their consideration.

We have two retirement homes in our stake that have branches where they watch it on DVD later in the day so we need a means to burn the video and audio to DVD on the fly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

junkman1989 wrote:We had problems with the audio level in the webcast and had to put a 10K variable resistor in the cable providing the audio feed to the Webcaster to prevent it being over-modulated.
I wonder if it's the old bugaboo about different line levels. I call them "home" and "pro". Professional grade sound systems frequently run a hotter line level. Typically it's a 600 ohm balanced or floating line (3 wire). But if simply adapted to unbalanced it is too hot for the "home" level. That what you find on the back of a stereo - 10K ohm unbalanced. The levels are close enough that at first try they seem to work, but will distort on higher peaks.

In the past I've built my own attenuator cables to solve that problem. I took two 1/4W resistors and built them into a short RCA extension cable. I did this when I had problems with the satellite system distorting the sound on the VCR. Next time I'm at the stake center I'll look and see what values I used as I'm too lazy to re-calculate them.

I say this because I think it would be better to adapt the levels and not require an adjustment. Every adjustment is an opportunity to mess things up. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

Am I missing something or couldn't the CRAB unit out of the library make this adjustment for you?
KGBurton

Post by KGBurton »

tsheffield wrote:Am I missing something or couldn't the CRAB unit out of the library make this adjustment for you?
Yes ... it could have but it was already employed elsewhere.

Ken
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

junkman1989 wrote:We didn't want to turn down the audio distribution coming through the building because it was OK for everything else.
This isn't specifically related to line levels, but it's a question I have. How was the organ through the audio distribution? The reason I ask, is due to our stake's first attempt at webcasting. Our stake center is from the 60's and has had more than one audio/video refresh, but the organ has always had its own sound system.

I'm not sure whether our issue is common though, because the organ was also somewhat recently replaced. Our Stake Executive Secretary at the time was an engineer for the Church's organ supplier (whose headquarters is less than a mile from our stake center) and used our refresh as "field testing". Let's just say our organ will do a few things that your average stake center organ won't. :D
KGBurton

Post by KGBurton »

oregonmatt wrote:This isn't specifically related to line levels, but it's a question I have. How was the organ through the audio distribution? The reason I ask, is due to our stake's first attempt at webcasting. Our stake center is from the 60's and has had more than one audio/video refresh, but the organ has always had its own sound system.

I'm not sure whether our issue is common though, because the organ was also somewhat recently replaced. Our Stake Executive Secretary at the time was an engineer for the Church's organ supplier (whose headquarters is less than a mile from our stake center) and used our refresh as "field testing". Let's just say our organ will do a few things that your average stake center organ won't. :D
The organ level seemed fine ... but I think that ours feeds into the main audio amp in the chapel. We had some difficulty balancing in a mixer with microphones that someone set up for the choir (that's where the Ivie adapter kit was). They were trying to run line level from the mixer into the mic input in the chapel and it was driving the auto-mixer in the chapel crazy.

Ken
DeeGardiner

organ music

Post by DeeGardiner »

While on the topic of organ music, I have a question...

When we did our first stake conference webcast last December our remote location lost the organ postlude music following the meeting because those on the stake center stand turned off the microphone. We still had a video feed, but no audio. So immediately the reverence level in the remote building was lost.

Our organ is on a separate sound system, so there is no easy way to patch it directly in to our webcast.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Or should I not worry about it?

I have three ideas, but I don't know if any is better than the others:

1) If using a laptop at the remote building the operator could stop the webcast receive and switch to a video with church music and a photo slideshow. For our next broadcast we will be using the church receiver, so this isn't an option for us.

2) We typically use a video mixer with two video cameras (one set for wide angle and one zoomed in on the speaker). We could switch in a DVD player with church music & slide show.

3) Assuming the video mixer would support this, switch in church music from a CD player but continue to feed the stake center video.

I am curious to know what, if anything, other stakes are doing in this regard.
danpass

Post by danpass »

DeeGardiner wrote:While on the topic of organ music, I have a question...

When we did our first stake conference webcast last December our remote location lost the organ postlude music following the meeting because those on the stake center stand turned off the microphone. We still had a video feed, but no audio. So immediately the reverence level in the remote building was lost.

Our organ is on a separate sound system, so there is no easy way to patch it directly in to our webcast.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Or should I not worry about it?

I have three ideas, but I don't know if any is better than the others:

1) If using a laptop at the remote building the operator could stop the webcast receive and switch to a video with church music and a photo slideshow. For our next broadcast we will be using the church receiver, so this isn't an option for us.

2) We typically use a video mixer with two video cameras (one set for wide angle and one zoomed in on the speaker). We could switch in a DVD player with church music & slide show.

3) Assuming the video mixer would support this, switch in church music from a CD player but continue to feed the stake center video.

I am curious to know what, if anything, other stakes are doing in this regard.
A low tech suggestion. Before the meeting ask anyone on the stand that might be likely to turn off the microphone at the end of the meeting to not do so. You might also post a note next to or over the switch to remind them.
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

Maybe I'm dumb but I can't find the manual for the webcast communicator online so far. Can someone point me to it? I'd like to see just what this device does before we purchase it. I assume it's the video and audio encoder? I'm hoping the manual will provide details as well as a list of port connections it has.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

Here is the link to the page where the guidelines are and then you need to click the link and download the PDF for the guidelines.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=b7498868fc1aa110VgnVCM1000003a94610aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=9ae914cce116f110VgnVCM100000176f620a____

Troy

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”