Mi Box S beta program

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Mi Box S beta program

Post by Mikerowaved »

randysteck wrote:Just one question: why is this not just an app that installs on any android box? Would seem pretty simple to do that and distribute for side loading.
I think it's because it's still in beta testing. CHQ bought the first units, did the side loading, paired the remote, added some extras - like a wired LAN dongle, then sent the boxes to select stakes for testing. I would hope that when it's fully released it will be available from the Google Play Store. They may have a short list of hardware that the software is compatible with until more testing can be done, but I can live with that.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

randysteck wrote:Just one question: why is this not just an app that installs on any android box? Would seem pretty simple to do that and distribute for side loading.
We don't know what the plan is. This is clearly a beta app.

I'd think the developers would want to limit the hardware to a minimum number of models. Android has a real problem with the amount of variation. Trying to support everything made could be a real headache for the developers and reduce reliability.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pcardelli

Post by pcardelli »

This solution looks very appealing. Some things I'd like to see in the final version of the app and solution:
- An app that can be downloaded or side loaded to android TV devices (but with recommended hardware)
- Ability to change the URL - or Site the device is receiving for
- For example if used to checkout and set for nursing homes and such would make these sites easier to support and setup, and prep for that site, a setting that allowed us to update this in the app would be perfect.
- Ability to remotely unregister within the web interface a device (in case they happen to fall into the wrong hands)
- Ability to connect to a regional/General conference or even another Stakes for special meetings (avoid STS having to make up workarounds)

Overall while I have not personally been involved in this beta, I think this will save over finding a Quadcore laptop for each site, and simplify supporting the receiving sites, especially when you have more than 2 remote sites.
pcardelli

Post by pcardelli »

For Audio Output to XLR:

Rapco Horizon LTIGLBLOX Laptop Interface With Ground lift about $55.86 plus tax, If the ground lift is not needed about $44.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MLBEYK/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Newer buildings do not need these adapters, as they are built into the wall now, but for most of us, pairing these with our receiving kits might be a good idea rather than relying on the library crab box.
pcardelli

Post by pcardelli »

One more final note, if we have sit-ins that regularly view conference, it might be nice to have a device approved device we can either checkout or give a code to use for sit-in members. Again to simplify support where the member is more then willing to check it out or even purchase the device for this use. We have a lot of members that can't physically come to church and when authorized Stake and General Conference is the only time they feel really part of our services. We have been very successful in getting by with existing devices, but have found that some are just not great at streaming.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Be sure to send all of your great feedback through the regular beta feedback channels (in addition to sharing thoughts here on the forum). That's the best way to make sure it's seen.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

pcardelli wrote:- Ability to remotely unregister within the web interface a device (in case they happen to fall into the wrong hands)
The MiBox can be unregistered to a stake using either it's internal configuration or an STS can do it from the church's portal dashboard. Either way is very easy. BTW, no web interface. Everything is done via on-screen menus and either the included Bluetooth remote or a mouse/keyboard.
pcardelli wrote:- Ability to connect to a regional/General conference or even another Stakes for special meetings (avoid STS having to make up workarounds)
Unregistering from a home stake and registering temporarily to a different one is not difficult if you know the other stake's registration code. We'll have to wait and see about regional and/or general conferences.
daveg123

Post by daveg123 »

they007 wrote:...we get much better quality video from the internet than the satellite.
For what it's worth, the Church upgraded the satellite frame last year to 1080i. Huge improvement in picture quality. You just have to find a way to get that signal from the satellite receiver/rack to your projector--that's the rub.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm finding what appears to be the weak point - trying to get the church's web pages to play on it. So far, I've tried 3 different web browsers. None of them are doing the job.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'm finding what appears to be the weak point - trying to get the church's web pages to play on it. So far, I've tried 3 different web browsers. None of them are doing the job.
I thought they were locked down in the beta program so that you could only stream a stake conference.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”