Church Webcasts using YouTube Live Streams

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
bretbassett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Church Webcasts using YouTube Live Streams

Post by bretbassett »

Please find attached a document describing how to use YouTube's Live Streaming service for Sacrament Meeting broadcasts.
Attachments
YouTube Streaming.pdf
(217.24 KiB) Downloaded 3473 times
brogers

Re: Church Webcasts using YouTube Live Streams

Post by brogers »

I tried this and the YouTube app says you need to have 1000 YouTube subscribers to your channel as one of the pre-requisites to do live streaming. Did I miss something? This seems like a high bar for being generally useful for the Sacrament Meeting broadcasts.
bretbassett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bretbassett »

Read closer. The 1,000 person limit is if you want to run a Youtube Live from your cellphone. If you're coming from a laptop or computer, there is no required audience number.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bretbassett wrote:The 1,000 person limit is if you want to run a Youtube Live from your cellphone.
More specifically, I think it's if you want to use the YouTube mobile app. But if you use an app like Larix Broadcaster, I think you can do it from a cell phone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
josephchild

Post by josephchild »

I've done several Ward Devotional Live Streams to YouTube from my home PC and OBS, since I have fiber internet. I usually select a higher bitrate and It has worked great. Has anyone tried live streaming to youtube from the Church? What bitrate should be used when streaming from the church? Is it feasible to broadcast in HD? I tried a speedtest there and was only getting .02 upload speed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

josephchild wrote:Has anyone tried live streaming to youtube from the Church? What bitrate should be used when streaming from the church? Is it feasible to broadcast in HD? I tried a speedtest there and was only getting .02 upload speed.
Not all buildings are the same.

While written for the church webcast, I'd suggest Webcast Network Health and Encoder Settings to assess your situation.

My ward has done it in a building with 10 Mbps upload. I'm not sure what settings they used.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
josephchild

Post by josephchild »

Thanks. I was using the speedtest app to check speeds, as well as the built in speedtest on google.com. Both were showing abysmal speeds. I figured something is configured in the router to block these type of connections. Perhaps someone has been by to re-configure. I'll go down to the church this evening and try it again, and follow some of the advice in the network health document.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

josephchild wrote: I'll go down to the church this evening and try it again, and follow some of the advice in the network health document.
You might try power cycling things. Modems and routers are computers too and can suffer the same issues.

josephchild

Post by josephchild »

I was able to successfully stream to youtube this evening from the chapel. We have an ethernet port at the podium, so I connect to the network from there. Not sure what changed when I did it tonight.. when I've checked speedtest before, it would time out or show really slow results (even when I first tried tonight it did this). When I attempted to stream from OBS , it actually streamed and was mostly stable. When I checked the speed test again after that, I was getting 30+ down and about 5 up. Not ideal for streaming.. but it worked. I changed my output in OBS to 720p from 1080p and changed my OBS network settings to auto adjust the bitrate instead of dropping frames just to compensate. It was holding the bitrate for the most part around 4000-5000. At times it would dip to 1000 or 1500 .. YouTube did not like that.. it doesnt like anything under 3000. I do worry that on Sunday there will be a lot more congestion on the network and make it much harder to hold a stable stream. I wouldnt mind powercycling everything beforehand, but we dont have keys to the network closet. I think only the FM group or the stake might have those.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

josephchild wrote:I wouldnt mind powercycling everything beforehand, but we dont have keys to the network closet. I think only the FM group or the stake might have those.
Do you have access to the circuit breakers? <grin> I've got one building where everything is in a locked cabinet. That's how I have them reset things.

Just note that it may take 5 minutes or so before things are up and running again.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”