Church Webcasts using OBS

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
bretbassett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Church Webcasts using OBS

Post by bretbassett »

The attached PDF shows one stake's experience using OBS software running on a computer for broadcasting Sacrament Meetings.
Attachments
Church Webcast using OBS.pdf
(944.87 KiB) Downloaded 2666 times
kreeve

Re: Church Webcasts using OBS

Post by kreeve »

I am planning to use OBS on Sunday for a broadcast. I have tested it with the Church Webcast system and it worked. Will to another test run Saturday night. Thanks for this PDF, it will help. I have also used a tool called ecam live (it costs) in my profession to broadcast live events and it also allows you to bring in up to 4 guests to present via skype. Pretty slick.

Another cool tool it yardstream (costs) that is all web interface but allows you to do live stream with bringing in guests. You can keep your guests in the green room until time. Used by a lot of video casters these days.

Kevin
spencerto
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by spencerto »

Streamyard has a monthly fee and is interesting, but I would suggest looking at VMIX. It is a dedicated application and is not a monthly subscription. It is very stable and powerful...or stick with OBS or Streamlabs OBS.
hicksticks2001

Post by hicksticks2001 »

We had a stake fireside this week - and for the first time we had to 2 two simultaneous streaming events.

Normally all of the Spanish speakers in our stake gather at their meeting house and they translate it locally for them while broadcasting in the chapel. However, because of COVID-19 this was not possible.

So we fed our audio and video system into our teradek like normal. But we split the feed and fed it into a computer and used OBS, since we did not have another teradek available to us.

We were able to feed the spanish translation into the computer line-in for OBS and were able to use OBS to mix the audio between the translation and the music numbers from the main event feed audio.

This was our first event using OBS (https://obsproject.com/), and I have to say I loved it.
kreeve

Post by kreeve »

spencerto wrote:Streamyard has a monthly fee and is interesting, but I would suggest looking at VMIX. It is a dedicated application and is not a monthly subscription. It is very stable and powerful...or stick with OBS or Streamlabs OBS.
Price is right for VMIX and it looks very impressive. One main difference between it and Yardstream is that Yardstream can bring in guests/speakers who are not in your building. In other words you could produce your show with everyone being at different locations. VMIX looks like a very powerful production tool for streaming from your building where guests/speakers are. Mix in audio and do overlays. At $60 for the 1 year usage for SD. I think it is great. Will have to try the free trial version and play with it.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

vMix allows for remote participants ("vMix Call"), but only on the paid "HD" tier.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
spencerto
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by spencerto »

vMix does have it's own ability to have guests from other locations with it's paid tiers. You can also use Skype to bring in remote guests. Skype has supported NDI for quite some time. With NDI enabled, you can bring in a guest into OBS or vMix and mix them into the broadcast. Teams also has support for NDI now as well.

To find the NDI support in skype, open settings -> Calling -> Advanced Calling -> Allow NDI usage
SkypeNDI-screenshot.png
(133.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by spencerto on Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeremywillden

Post by jeremywillden »

Not sure if there is enough interest to justify the effort to document what I've built, but I've created a Python script that queries the XML configuration file (normally used by a Teradek encoder to get its settings), update the configuration files for OBS studio, and then when a new URL becomes available, it auto-launches OBS with the new settings. When run as a Cron job on a linux machine (or presumably with modifications it could work on Windows as a scheduled task) it begins and ends the event automatically. I've found that pretty old computers (I'm using 2009 iMacs with Core 2 Duo processors at 2.6 GHz, purchased for about $35 surplus from a school district a few years back plus $15 for a RAM upgrade to 2 GB) work wonderfully with Ubuntu and OBS studio for streaming meetings. Furthermore, I've even automated the setup of the iMacs with SaltStack so you install the base OS, configure the Salt Minion, and apply the state from the Master and it sets up virtually everything in one (long) step. I've also got a manual setup guide for doing audio-only streaming with Raspberry Pi computers (<$75 each with SD card, power adapter and USB audio interface) and a DigitalOcean ($5/mo) droplet server running IceCast in the cloud. If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to share what I've built and learned in the process.
They work great sitting in the second row of pews facing the pulpit, only sticking up an inch or two above the back of the pew, directly using the built-in webcam, or with an $8 HDMI input USB dongle if you prefer a better camera, or just a USB webcam. You can take audio from the built-in mic or run a cable from the "record out" port from the sound system.
I'll check in on this thread occasionally, but feel free to direct message me if you like.
techguru

Post by techguru »

jeremywillden wrote:Not sure if there is enough interest to justify the effort to document what I've built, but I've created a Python script that queries the XML configuration file (normally used by a Teradek encoder to get its settings), update the configuration files for OBS studio, and then when a new URL becomes available, it auto-launches OBS with the new settings. When run as a Cron job on a linux machine (or presumably with modifications it could work on Windows as a scheduled task) it begins and ends the event automatically. I've found that pretty old computers (I'm using 2009 iMacs with Core 2 Duo processors at 2.6 GHz, purchased for about $35 surplus from a school district a few years back plus $15 for a RAM upgrade to 2 GB) work wonderfully with Ubuntu and OBS studio for streaming meetings. Furthermore, I've even automated the setup of the iMacs with SaltStack so you install the base OS, configure the Salt Minion, and apply the state from the Master and it sets up virtually everything in one (long) step. I've also got a manual setup guide for doing audio-only streaming with Raspberry Pi computers (<$75 each with SD card, power adapter and USB audio interface) and a DigitalOcean ($5/mo) droplet server running IceCast in the cloud. If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to share what I've built and learned in the process.
They work great sitting in the second row of pews facing the pulpit, only sticking up an inch or two above the back of the pew, directly using the built-in webcam, or with an $8 HDMI input USB dongle if you prefer a better camera, or just a USB webcam. You can take audio from the built-in mic or run a cable from the "record out" port from the sound system.
I'll check in on this thread occasionally, but feel free to direct message me if you like.
I would be interested to know more about your Python script you have created to update the OBS studio configuration files. This is one solution that I would like to try using for webcasting as a solution which uses existing equipment.
rdslade

Post by rdslade »

I will be using OBS as well but I will just have the one scene in OBS. I do A/V work like this for work so I have a video switcher I will be using to switch between the camera and a graphic/still image when needed. I will also be using an audio interface to take the audio from the 1/8" record out from the building house sound to send the audio into the stream. Vmix is a great program too.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”