Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Post by russellhltn »

sunshinesdad wrote:I was wondering if the connection is similar if you are using a laptop?
It depends on the laptop. If it has line-in (rare) you could get by with just a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.
If it has a "headset" jack, then it would be just like a cell phone.
If it only has a "mic" jack, then you need an attenuator, but must conform to the "mic" pin-outs which is different from a "headset" pin out, even if the plugs look and fit the same.

I wouldn't overlook external sound cards that plug into the USB. Such devices may have been sold for converting cassette to MP3. Those devices may have a line-in and might be easier then trying to work out the cable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

Here is another way of reducing the line-level signal from record output jack to mic-level that is required by most laptops and iphones. It also presents the proper impedance to the computer for it to recognize the external mic signal. It uses the EJ8 (crab box) that many bldgs already have. It perfroms the same functions as the "Headset Buddy Line-Level Adapter" https://www.amazon.com/Headset-Buddy-Li ... B00OAW85ZG

See attached PDF.
Attachments
Use EJ8 to get mic-level for laptop and iphone.pdf
(493.01 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
kreeve

Post by kreeve »

The biggest complaint I am hearing from members (not in my stake) who are watching virtual sacrament meetings is the audio. I am a believer that audio is key to a successful event for those viewing. I just noticed the recommendatione
strj500

Post by strj500 »

I used OBS on my laptop (Dell Latitude e6530) with webcam (Logitech C270) and used this for the audio:
https://www.amazon.com/Movo-Microphone- ... 212&sr=8-5

There is echo present, not horrible but it's there.

Two questions,

1) There a configuration or a setup change I could make to reduce the echo? (perhaps lowering volume of the chapel's system)

I tried to get record out audio in building to work but my laptop didn't pick it up. Would still like to get that working if possible,

2)
Question on Use EJ8 to get mic-level for laptop and iphone.pdf instructions, can someone detail the cables/connectors used in the document? I know we've got the crabbox, I also think we have a 3.5mm audio cable... other pieces, I'm not too certain what they are... a detailed list of the items would be great. (amazon links/product links also good)
kreeve

Post by kreeve »

For the audio into the laptop, you may want to get a USB sound card device. They are usually mic level input so you will reduce from line out to mic level out.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

After nearly three months, I think I have perfected our Sacrament Meeting broadcast.

Using a wired Lavalier mic with a 16-foot cable gave us perfect audio this morning. I have also learned how to monitor live audio input on my laptop using the Windows Sounds app. I no longer have to wonder if the sound capture is any good.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

CalS201 wrote:Here is another way of reducing the line-level signal from record output jack to mic-level that is required by most laptops and iphones. It also presents the proper impedance to the computer for it to recognize the external mic signal. It uses the EJ8 (crab box) that many bldgs already have.

See attached PDF.
Thanks very much, I didn't realize you could use it for that purpose, the schematic helps. But I'm confused how the volume control would have any impact on the levels between two input jacks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

strj500 wrote: Question on Use EJ8 to get mic-level for laptop and iphone.pdf instructions, can someone detail the cables/connectors used in the document? I know we've got the crabbox, I also think we have a 3.5mm audio cable... other pieces, I'm not too certain what they are... a detailed list of the items would be great. (amazon links/product links also good)
Attachment #1 contains parts references for the EJ8 configuration. However, you should also consider the simplified interface in attachment #2 if you have a laptop with one TRRS audio jack, or attachment #3 for iphone interface.
Attachments
Misc Adapters for RecordOut using EJ8.pdf
(762.53 KiB) Downloaded 2225 times
RecordOut Jack to Mac-Laptop with TRRS Jack-Rev A.pdf
(495.14 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
RecordOut Jack to iPhone.pdf
(603.67 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

craiggsmith wrote: I didn't realize you could use it for that purpose, the schematic helps. But I'm confused how the volume control would have any impact on the levels between two input jacks.
Referring to the schematic. The TOTAL resistance of the EJ8's 1K pot is affected by the transformer & resistor connected to the arm of the pot - which changes the input divider ratio.
arpitman

Post by arpitman »

I have a building that has the ethernet port and red and white RCA jacks on it. I am not clear on what those are exactly from the document. I believe the comment about it not being connected refers to the ethernet port.

Are the red and white RCA audio system line out or in? I would like to use them as INPUT to my mobile phone if they are line out from the audio.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”