Simple Fully Automated worship webcast with Meetinghouse Webcast

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
tigurr

Re: Simple Fully Automated worship webcast with Meetinghouse Webcast

Post by tigurr »

bretep wrote:
bphilli7 wrote:Looking at your document for 30 seconds, I think you need to configure the network for DHCP before you haul it to a church house. It also would be good for it to be DHCP on your local network for test broadcasts, but that’s just my preference.
I agree, that looks like it's the issue. The logging I added should be saying that it cannot reach the server.
  • 1. System-> LAN -> DHCP: Enable
    2. Apply
    3. Reboot
Thanks for the look and input. I will give it a try. Much appreciated.
khansen188

Post by khansen188 »

I purchased the equipment as suggested in the first post. It arrived yesterday and I was amazed at how easy it was to connect and to install the latest version of the firmware that you have created.

Later in the evening I scheduled a test event. I left the encoder connected and powered on. It was my impression that the encoder would activate and start the stream at the scheduled start time of the broadcast. However, that isn’t what I experienced. The encoder started to broadcast When the pre-buffer part of the event happened.

After my experience last night, that has led me to several questions I’m hoping you can answer.

1. Is what I experienced with the encoder starting to broadcast at the beginning of the pre-buffer phase the anticipated behavior?

2. If so, how can I keep it from starting to encode and broadcast until the actual start time of the event? My bishop doesn’t want it to start broadcasting early.

3. As you mentioned in the read me file, the microphone in the $14 RCA camera isn’t very good. How can I add the audio from the church system without an audio in like the Teradeck encoders have?

4. I am anticipating that my bishop will want a different camera used. Is there a suggested camera that could be placed in the back of the chapel and zoomed in on the speaker?

Thanks again for this post. I’m currently spending 45 minutes cabling and checking USB camera, setting up the information in OBS and preparing for each ward that I help broadcast. I’m excited for how easy this sounds And for how effortlessly it sounds like it will work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

khansen188 wrote:1. Is what I experienced with the encoder starting to broadcast at the beginning of the pre-buffer phase the anticipated behavior?
2. If so, how can I keep it from starting to encode and broadcast until the actual start time of the event? My bishop doesn’t want it to start broadcasting early.
Yes. This allows sending and receiving locations to test the webcast before the meeting begins, particularly for stake conferences, and allows time to troubleshoot any problems that arise.

The only way I know to avoid webcasting during the Pre Buffer is to turn on encoding when the meeting begins. I do not know if that can be automated, or if the encoder you are using can be controlled remotely.

It may be tempting to schedule a live event to start an hour later, which would cause the Pre Buffer to start at the beginning of the actual meeting. This would be risky, because the Pre Buffer for a live event does not always start exactly one hour before the actual event is scheduled to start.

An alternate method would be to leave the sound (and possibly the video) off until the meeting begins. The bishop may be okay with that but, once again, it requires manual intervention to accomplish.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

khansen188 wrote:My bishop doesn’t want it to start broadcasting early.
Anyone showing up in person early will experience the same thing. It also won't give you any time to resolve problems if it doesn't work when it's supposed to.

What you can do is power the system on just before the start time. Note that the system won't end at the end time either. You'll have to turn it off. Note that when you do that, you'll likely lose the last few seconds of the broadcast.

lajackson wrote:It may be tempting to schedule a live event to start an hour later, which would cause the Pre Buffer to start at the beginning of the actual meeting. This would be risky, because the Pre Buffer for a live event does not always start exactly one hour before the actual event is scheduled to start.
Not only that, but the broadcast will be labeled with the wrong start time. And as mentioned above, it doesn't solve your ending issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
khansen188

Post by khansen188 »

I setup this system as described in the first post at home the other day. After setting it up, I ran a successful test even from my office at home. Now I have taken the equipment to the church and can't get the encoder to start encoding the broadcast or can't get the broadcast pushed from the encoder to the church webcast system. I don't have a whole lot of knowledge of how to do this and am at a loss on what to do at this point.

What kind of troubleshooting information, screenshots, etc. can I provide to get help with this and have a successful broadcast tomorrow?
bphilli7

Post by bphilli7 »

Did you make sure to set the jtech to collect a DHCP address? It defaults to a static IP address.

Do you have network connection (blinking green and orange lights on the network connection)?
khansen188

Post by khansen188 »

I had a faulty connector on my network cable. Once I swapped out the cable it worked great.

I have my stream working now, however, the audio is very quiet. It is connected to the sound in the building through the line out port. How can I increase the volume being provided to the webcast system?
khansen188

Post by khansen188 »

I found the setting in the encoder to boost the audio. Fingers crossed that things go well today.
garnsb

Post by garnsb »

@bretep I'm not far from where you are. Would there be a possibility to come see your setup in person? I don't think I can DM anyone yet, so maybe you'd be willing to DM me? This has some sweet potential for our stake where we deal with multiple languages. Thanks in advance.
khansen188

Post by khansen188 »

The last couple weeks, I have ran across an interesting issue using this setup. By the end of our broadcast today the audio and video were out of sync by almost 5 seconds. Any ideas on how we can adjust things to make the audio and video stay in sync?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”