Recurring events with Church Webcast scheduler

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rklindquist

Recurring events with Church Webcast scheduler

Postby rklindquist » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:09 am

We are using a Mevo camera using RTMP with the Church Webcast system.

We would like to schedule a recurring event for ward sacrament meetings. This would simplify scheduling and let us use the same links for the RTMP stream and member viewing links each week.

Is there a way to schedule a recurring event in the Webcast platform that keeps the same links?

Thanks.

-Bob

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Recurring events with Church Webcast scheduler

Postby russellhltn » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:38 am

rklindquist wrote:Is there a way to schedule a recurring event in the Webcast platform that keeps the same links?
Not currently. I don't know as it would even be considered unless this appears to be a permanent feature.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Postby sbradshaw » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:15 pm

You could use a link shortener service to create a set URL, and change the URL that it redirects to each week.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:20 pm

sbradshaw wrote:You could use a link shortener service to create a set URL, and change the URL that it redirects to each week.
One nice advantage of that is you could bounce between YouTube, Church Webcast, etc and still keep the same link.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

rklindquist

Postby rklindquist » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:58 pm

It’s been awhile since I’ve used those URL shorteners.

I would hope to use them to have the same URL for the RTMP link and code. I’d then want a separate URL that stays the same for the public viewing link?

Can someone remind me which site would be best to use for this and the steps to do it?

Thanks in advance!

-Bob

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Postby Mikerowaved » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:38 am

rklindquist wrote:It’s been awhile since I’ve used those URL shorteners.

I would hope to use them to have the same URL for the RTMP link and code.
The Mevo probably wants to see the whole rtmp:// URL and would choke on a shortener. (Haven't tried it, just opinion only.)
rklindquist wrote:I’d then want a separate URL that stays the same for the public viewing link?
Assuming your calling allows, when you log into the Meetinghouse Webcast Dashboard, you'll see the Viewing Link: near the top of the page. That link never changes and will take members of your stake to a webpage that displays the public webcasts scheduled for that week and allow them to select their ward from the list. Shortly after the webcast finishes, that ward's link is automatically deleted.

justusmitchells

Postby justusmitchells » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:52 pm

This suggestion is really needed. We need reoccurring broadcast capabilities. It’s simple coding in the system and probably already written in the program just hidden or not turned on.

How do we get this to the leaders in charge of technology? Sending a new link to every ward/branch member that is not ready to come to church or capable to come to church every week is not ideal.

Tell me who. I’m not afraid to call or write anyone in the church. Is the presiding bishopric over the technology or an apostle? Troy

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:00 pm

justusmitchells wrote:Sending a new link to every ward/branch member that is not ready to come to church or capable to come to church every week is not ideal.
The members need only one URL and it never changes. The RTMP URL/Stream Code changes for each webcast, but the URL to view the webcast does not change.

A phone call will do nothing. Sending feedback through the webcasting page or an email to Meetinghouse Technology is the best way to get a recommendation to those who direct the work of the developers. Another way is for your stake president to contact the Area Seventy and work the request up through priesthood channels.

hicksticks2001

Postby hicksticks2001 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:38 am

Members of our stake simply use paysonworship.com each week to get the available broadcasts. We are still rolling it out to all of our buildings.

We use the J-Tech devices which auto configure with the webcast system like the discontinued Teradek Vidiu Pros did.

I would love to see a "Reoccurring meeting" feature, but I don't need the stream URL to be the same each week, I just would love to avoid the 10-15 minutes it takes me to re-schedule all of the Ward Sabbath Worship Services each week, especially since I have to be careful with every settings since choosing the wrong value can make a broadcast not work, and I may not recognize my error until right before the broadcast.
-Aaron Hixson
Payson Utah Mountain View Stake
aaron@hixsonfamily.net

bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby bartj » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:34 am

Recurring event for the Church webcast solution is being worked on now. We hope to deploy this in the coming weeks.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”