Can't access YouTube Studio at church

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

Can't access YouTube Studio at church

Post by craiggsmith »

Last week when we went to start our broadcasts none of us could access YouTube Studio, either via the Go Live button or the main menu -- it just came up as a blank white page. The week before General Conference we had no issues. We were all using Windows laptops and tried Edge, Chrome, and Firefox, with no difference, and none of us have a problem from my home. But two people with Macs didn't have a problem.

Last night we tested again and I didn't have a problem, but the other two people still did. They then switched to their cell phone hotspot and were able to, and then after they switched back to the network they were still able to. Behavior was the same whether hard-wired or on WiFi.

Is there any explanation for this ? I would like to be 100% confident that it will work tomorrow. Our firewall was set to Moderate, so I went ahead and changed it back to Managed just in case that helps, but there is no way to tell if that was a factor unless this happens again.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't access YouTube Studio at church

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:Our firewall was set to Moderate, so I went ahead and changed it back to Managed just in case that helps, but there is no way to tell if that was a factor unless this happens again.
That's probably it.

The filtering is a bit interesting. I'm not sure how it works, but I have found that for a new setting to take effect (in this case from Strict to Managed), that I had to completely disconnect from the network to get the new policy to take effect. (Side note: You can't webcast to the church system under Strict.)

From your experience, I'm thinking the filtering is taking place at the DNS level. Once the device got the IP address, it could continue despite the filter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Interesting, good thought, hopefully that does it. They don’t want me to disable WiFi so I’m a little concerned, but there is only half a ward in at a time and not all are on the new network yet. Might eventually have to get separate WiFi routers for the bishoprics.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:Interesting, good thought, hopefully that does it. They don’t want me to disable WiFi so I’m a little concerned, but there is only half a ward in at a time
Between low turn out and short program, I think fewer are reaching for their phones.

craiggsmith wrote:and not all are on the new network yet. Might eventually have to get separate WiFi routers for the bishoprics.
?? You mean APs for the bishoprics?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

russellhltn wrote:Between low turn out and short program, I think fewer are reaching for their phones.
Probably true! But if they are connecting at all their phone could be doing updates etc. I asked HQ why the moderate setting only blocked the app store, and they said it made a big difference.
russellhltn wrote:?? You mean APs for the bishoprics?
I don't think we are allowed to add a "rogue" access point.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:
russellhltn wrote:?? You mean APs for the bishoprics?
I don't think we are allowed to add a "rogue" access point.
I was trying to understand what you meant by separate WIFI routers.

craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Sorry, I want to turn off the main wifi but the bishoprics need wifi on. So the solution is to have a separate wifi SSID that only the bishoprics can access. Same issue as today's "Leave Wi-Fi on during broadcasts?" post. We already have a separate router/network for the stake offices, and some wards have done this in the past.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Couldn't access YouTube studio at church again when I was trying to test, really annoying.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I tried accessing studio.youtube.com from two different clerks' computers in separate buildings. One took me to Google login (expected). The other took me to a Richmond University login page. :shock:

I didn't compare the DNS IP. Best I can guess is the DNS is messed up.

craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

russellhltn wrote:I tried accessing studio.youtube.com from two different clerks' computers in separate buildings. One took me to Google login (expected). The other took me to a Richmond University login page. :shock:

I didn't compare the DNS IP. Best I can guess is the DNS is messed up.
Wow that is weird.

So it doesn't appear that anyone else is having the problem we are having?
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”