Volume goes flat while using Larix and iPhone

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
bgoodrich

Volume goes flat while using Larix and iPhone

Post by bgoodrich »

I am using an iPhone 7 with Larix. When broadcasting and no one is talking my phone drops volume. The green volume level in Larix goes flat until someone starts speaking again. This is causing a volume drop in the broadcast. So on the viewers end the volume is going up and down every time the speaker stops to take a breath. There is a delay in when the volume goes back up resulting in a choppy audio. I assumed this was the noise cancelation setting on my phone so I turned it off. The problem still exists. I have increased the microphone sensitivity and this has not helped either. Suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Volume goes flat while using Larix and iPhone

Post by russellhltn »

bgoodrich wrote:The green volume level in Larix goes flat until someone starts speaking again.
As far as I'm aware, the green bar isn't a gain control bur rather a VU meter. I'd expect it to go down between speakers. Otherwise, there would be a ton of background noise.

How are you getting audio to the phone? If you're using an external connection, have you enabled it in the menu? Otherwise, it may still be using the internal mic.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bgoodrich

Post by bgoodrich »

I think you are right on the green bar being a VU meter. I just have observed that when the meter is not measuring anything a mute goes into effect. When I start talking again there is a delay for the volume to go back up and so the stream volume fluctuates. I am using the built-in mic and the Larix is set for built-in mic. I have tried connecting an external mic with a 3.5 mm jack with no success. I have not tried a USB or a bluetooth microphone because I don't have either of those available. I should note that I am using a lightning to ethernet adapter to connect to the building ethernet. So, anything external devise I connect to my phone has to connect with the same adapter as the ethernet.
Photo on 10-17-20 at 4.56 PM.jpg
(115.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bgoodrich wrote:I just have observed that when the meter is not measuring anything a mute goes into effect.
That's interesting. I've not seen that. You might check the options and see if there's anything for noise gate or something.

bgoodrich wrote:I have tried connecting an external mic with a 3.5 mm jack with no success.
There are two styles for external mics on a 3.5 mm jack. You may have connected the wrong one. If that's a single 3.5mm jack, it's probably a TRRS "headset" jack, not a TRS "mic" jack.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”