USB audio converters

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

USB audio converters

Post by craiggsmith »

For tapping in to the building audio (record out jack), does anyone have a line-level USB audio converter they can recommend? USB seems to be preferred in my stake over an analog device such as the Headset Buddy.

Here is an example.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013E21TUK

Thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: USB audio converters

Post by russellhltn »

We have a stake conference in a couple of Sundays with a "visiting" general authority. The "ICS Broadcast Planning & Event Support" got in touch with me and in their PDF outlining the setup, they're recommending a "Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac" and a "FasPower Audio Cable (25 FT), Stereo Audio 3.5mm Auxiliary Short Cord Male to Male Aux Cable". The adapter advertises to be "driverless", but a "mic in". The cable appears to be straight though with no attenuation. Both available on Amazon.

In testing with my laptop, I've discovered that if I dig deep enough into the settings and turn off "Microphone boot", my "mic input" is perfectly happy with line level. :o :?

Perhaps this device is the same way. At $8, I went ahead and ordered it. I should have it next week.

If this works out, this is a under $20, very simple, it doesn't matter what your laptop has, solution for laptop users.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

craiggsmith wrote:For tapping in to the building audio (record out jack), does anyone have a line-level USB audio converter they can recommend?
Here is an example.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013E21TUK
russellhltn wrote:We have a stake conference in a couple of Sundays with a "visiting" general authority. The "ICS Broadcast Planning & Event Support" got in touch with me and in their PDF outlining the setup, they're recommending a "C for Windows and Mac" ............
In testing with my laptop, I've discovered that if I dig deep enough into the settings and turn off "Microphone boost", my "mic input" is perfectly happy with line level.

If this works out, this is a under $20, very simple, it doesn't matter what your laptop has, solution for laptop users.
The "Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac" https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External ... B00IRVQ0F8 can handle a maximum 550mv rms/777mv pk signal before distortion. It can be directly connected to the RecordOut Jack with a TRS cable. It has a MONO mic input and a stereo headphone output.

This adapter can also be used on the iPhone/iPad if you have an appropriate "Camera/USB/LAN Charging adapter" like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K4L55TL/. If you use this combination you should also connect a charger cable to the Camera adapter because the iPhone, Camera adapter, and Sabrent Audio adapter can drain the iphone battery pretty fast without the charger attached.

The "PC Audio Digitizer - USB 2.0 Audio Capture Converter for Windows" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013E21TUK has a STEREO mic input and stereo headphone output and can also handle line level input, but I don't know at what level the audio becomes distorted. It "should" work OK when connected to the RecordOut Jack.

With either one of the adapters you should go to the ControlPanel/Sound (PC) or SystemPreferences (MAC) settings and lower/turn off the mic gain setting.

BTW: A note to the DIY "techs" out there. There is a free Audio O'Scope app for the PC that lets you observe the actual waveforms . It's very useful because you can see what amplitude signal can be handled before distortion sets in.
https://trueaudio.com/rta_down.htm
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

CalS201 wrote:The "Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac" https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External ... B00IRVQ0F8 can handle a maximum 550mv rms/777mv pk signal before distortion. It can be directly connected to the RecordOut Jack with a TRS cable. It has a MONO mic input and a stereo headphone output.
This is looking like the simplest, easiest, fairly inexpensive ($8 + standard cable) way to get chapel audio to a laptop. Perhaps it should be our "go to" recommendation as it eliminates a lot of variables.

CalS201 wrote:This adapter can also be used on the iPhone/iPad if you have an appropriate "Camera/USB/LAN Charging adapter" like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K4L55TL/. If you use this combination you should also connect a charger cable to the Camera adapter because the iPhone, Camera adapter, and Sabrent Audio adapter can drain the iphone battery pretty fast without the charger attached.
Bonus! It gives a LAN port, so you can turn off the WiFi. The downside is that's a kluge load of stuff right at the phone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

russellhltn wrote:
CalS201 wrote:The "Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac" https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External ... B00IRVQ0F8 can handle a maximum 550mv rms/777mv pk signal before distortion. It can be directly connected to the RecordOut Jack with a TRS cable. It has a MONO mic input and a stereo headphone output.
This is looking like the simplest, easiest, fairly inexpensive ($8 + standard cable) way to get chapel audio to a laptop. Perhaps it should be our "go to" recommendation as it eliminates a lot of variables.

I agree, the USB Adapter ($) should be a "go to" recommendation. However, it doesn't work if you have a MEVO camera or a PTZOptics camera, and it's messy to use with iPhone/iPad.

Attached is a truly universal wireless interface ($$$) that will connect ANYTHING to ANYTHING and has adjustable audio levels and headphone monitoring! We are using this in my son-in-laws stake nearby.
Attachments
Connect RecordOut Jack Wirelessy to ANYTHING.pdf
(113.9 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

CalS201 wrote:Attached is a truly universal wireless interface ($$$) that will connect ANYTHING to ANYTHING and has adjustable audio levels and headphone monitoring! We are using this in my son-in-laws stake nearby.
Yeah, about $150 for the wireless part. I've been eyeing some Bluetooth transmitters for dealing with phones. I think it would work, but I see some complaints about latency.

CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

russellhltn wrote: Yeah, about $150 for the wireless part.
The same company (MOVO) also has a VHF Wireless system for $80. Either way it's not too much to pay.

Frankly, the easiest & best quality broadcasting setup I have seen so far is a $400 "MEVO Start" camera (1080P, PTZ Presets, battery operated, streaming over WIFI) with audio connected to the camera either wirelessly($150) or with a permanent 75ft TRS cable ($15) from the RecordOut jack. Spending $400 to $550 to get the best audio and video possible for all wards in a bldg is a worthy investment. Each ward AV tech just turns the camera on at beginning of the meeting and off at the end; and when you broadcast to Youtube you never have to change the stream key. It doesn't get any easier. Any group of wards can afford this, especially in a year where they aren't even close to spending their budget allocation.
Attachments
RecordOut Jack to MEVO Camera.pdf
(582.67 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In our case, the record out jack is right next to the network jack by the podium, and is connected to PoE port on the switch. I'd rather invest in wired LAN, wired power, and wired sound. Less to go wrong.

Odds are, you'd eventually need wired power to avoid the hassles of charging the battery, so the advantages of completely wireless will be lost. Once you run a wire, might as well do them all.

If streaming settles into being a long-term thing, this is going to be one of the more attractive options. It's either that or the one of the other automated systems that use the church webcast auto-config, although I'd go with a different camera so it could be wall mounted.

CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

russellhltn wrote:In our case, the record out jack is right next to the network jack by the podium, and is connected to PoE port on the switch. I'd rather invest in wired LAN, wired power, and wired sound. Less to go wrong.
Yes, wired is always better if you can do it, and also protect the wires from people walking on them for the next year.
russellhltn wrote:Odds are, you'd eventually need wired power to avoid the hassles of charging the battery, so the advantages of completely wireless will be lost. Once you run a wire, might as well do them all.

The camera would only need to be charged once per week. Since you have to remove the camera and safely store it during the week I don't think charging would be a hassle. A $10 USB powerbank could serve as a backup power source if the camera does't get charged.
russellhltn wrote:If streaming settles into being a long-term thing, this is going to be one of the more attractive options. It's either that or the one of the other automated systems that use the church webcast auto-config, although I'd go with a different camera so it could be wall mounted.
A wall mounted camera would be a nice permanent solution and would need to be 10-20X PTZ zoom camera ($500-$2000).

In my old stake they will probably repurpose their 3 PtzOptics20X cameras used for stake conference by putting one in each bldg in the rear of the chapel and stream directly from the camera to Youtube for all wards in the bldg.

One feature that is important in the long-term is a static stream key used on recurring scheduled events. Youtube does it. I hope the Church system incorporates it soon.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thank you both for the recommendations. Where did you get the specs for the Sabrent device? I can't find max input level for any of the devices anywhere. At any rate, if it can handle the record out jack then great.

The only thing I don't like about it is it blocks adjacent ports. They have another one however that includes a short extension cable. I assume/hope the specs are the same.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM883BK

One thing I wonder about is using a mono vs stereo audio cable. I found two other similar devices on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SSBHGP7 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N905VOY) and both say the the microphone jack is not compatible with TS cables, only TRS. Yet it's mono. I can't imagine it expects a balanced input, and even if it did it wouldn't matter if the other channel had no signal. And with an unbalanced mono source it wouldn't matter which cable is used, the ring would just be grounded right. Right?

The other device appears to be designed for line level so I assume it would work. I see it and several others that look the same, most branded V.TOP.

Thanks also for the tip for the trueaudio software, I will definitely try that.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”