Church Webcast - Weekly Recurring Event & Other Updates

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
studerje

Re: Church Webcast - Weekly Recurring Event & Other Updates

Postby studerje » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:06 am

whiteout7942 wrote:So the last coupe weeks have been working well I just schedule the events prior and we hit the red "Stream" button on the encoder unit. With this new update and the important notice with the URL changing, does that mean I need to go into the encoder and set a new link prior to each event now? What does the impact of that statement mean? Sorry I am new here so trying to make sure I won't have an issue tomorrow morning.

If you are using the auto config URL settings with a Teradek VidiU, there will be no change. The auto config URL doesn’t changer.

bradpeterson@gmail.com

Postby bradpeterson@gmail.com » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:49 pm

bradpeterson@gmail.com wrote:How do recurring events handle attendance?

I found out my own answer. They don't handle attendance at all. The recurring event stays "up top" and nothing moves to the "completed events". That attendance info with names is vital to our bishoprics.

For this reason, recurring events are a no-go for us.

bphilli7

Postby bphilli7 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:33 pm

bradpeterson@gmail.com wrote:

I found out my own answer. They don't handle attendance at all. The recurring event stays "up top" and nothing moves to the "completed events". That attendance info with names is vital to our bishoprics.

I just ran my first week with recurring events for all my wards. All of the wards had recorded attendance, which is down at the bottom of the page, and the recurring event just scheduled next weeks event at the top of the page.

bradpeterson@gmail.com

Postby bradpeterson@gmail.com » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:07 am

bphilli7 wrote:
bradpeterson@gmail.com wrote:

I just ran my first week with recurring events for all my wards. All of the wards had recorded attendance, which is down at the bottom of the page, and the recurring event just scheduled next weeks event at the top of the page.

Weird. I ran a test event yesterday on a recurring event. An hour after the meeting, I had no entry for it in the "completed events" area. But I did see the recurring event change dates above.

dsbahr

Postby dsbahr » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:17 am

johndcastro wrote:This is a great addition and thanks for making it happen. If you are taking suggestion may I suggest a pause/cut the stream from the webcast controller for those that need to pause for Sacrament (I have 9 wards in three buildings that all the bishops felt it was too weird to do it at the end).
Thanks.

(queue the music for Tevye to start singing the hit song from Fiddler on the Roof)

Ah - the power of 'TRADITION'!!! <--- just because that's how we've always done it...

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw]

bretep

Postby bretep » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:50 pm

johndcastro wrote:This is a great addition and thanks for making it happen. If you are taking suggestion may I suggest a pause/cut the stream from the webcast controller for those that need to pause for Sacrament (I have 9 wards in three buildings that all the bishops felt it was too weird to do it at the end).

Thanks.

Interesting, so when do the people watching the broadcast do their sacrament?

The letter with instructions for this was pretty clear about the worship service is separate from the sacrament ordinance and included instructions about the sacrament service.

I only bring this up because the solution I worked on takes into account the direction given by the First Presidency, and I imagine the group at the church who work on the webcast system are working under the same assumptions/requirements, which means a pause button does not make sense.

I too have a large stake, 14 wards across 4 buildings. If we were to have a pause in the middle of the meeting, it would make broadcasting difficult and awkward for the users watching the webcast.

This might be a good topic to council with the Stake Presidency about. I would suggest having the letter sent to Stake Presidencies present during the council.

The solution I worked on can be found: https://github.com/bretep/webcast-auto-conf
Discussion about the project can be found: https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37546
Last edited by bretep on Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:58 pm

The Sept 11 letter says "consider". It gives permission, it doesn't make it a requirement.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

bretep

Postby bretep » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:13 pm

russellhltn wrote:The Sept 11 letter says "consider". It gives permission, it doesn't make it a requirement.

Yes, and it mentions the either-or to consider:

Since a sacrament broadcast does not include the administration of the sacrament, consider initiating the broadcast following the sacrament, or alternatively, holding the sacrament portion of the meeting last, so those viewing the sacrament meeting virtually see the program without interruption.
-- Safely Engaging in Church Meetings and Activities, Page 2 of 2 - September 11, 2020 letter from The First Presidency

This is why I encouraged to council with the Stake Presidency with the letter. The word "consider" gives 2 options. These are the boundaries the Frist Presidency set and constraints a solution should be build around.

Option 1. Hold a normal meeting, but only start the broadcast after the sacrament.
Option 2. Hold the sacrament portion of the meeting last.

Goal: Those viewing the sacrament meeting virtually see the program without interruption.

nitzer280

Postby nitzer280 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong: A recurring meeting - at least what I can tell - does not allow you to make any changes once you create the event. If this is the case, I will hold off until January to make these recurring events for each ward, due to our rotation of start times when the new year rolls around.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Postby Mikerowaved » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:51 pm

nitzer280 wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong: A recurring meeting - at least what I can tell - does not allow you to make any changes once you create the event.

Recurring events can be edited just like non-recurring events. Meeting times can be easily modified when the new year rolls around.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”