Mevo streaming through webcast getting disconnected errors

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
akrogers

Mevo streaming through webcast getting disconnected errors

Post by akrogers »

I setup weekly scheduled streams for our entire stake (14 wards) through the church webcast system for today. All buildings have a Mevo start camera that we are streaming with. We have been using YouTube, but now that the church is allowing weekly scheduled streams and fixed RTMP settings we have decided to switch. Streaming went well for all but one ward. In looking at the error alerts I see this:
Encoder target rate exceeded maximum encode rate: (6006:5500) - Please reduce the encode rate on your encoder:
They kept getting disconnected continually. I would appreciate any ideas in how to fix this. They tried reducing the streaming resolution with no results. The frame rate options in the Mevo app are 30, 29.97, and 25.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Mevo streaming through webcast getting disconnected errors

Post by Mikerowaved »

What the error message is referring to is the video bitrate in kbps. I don't know where the setting is for the Mevo, but it should be set at or below 4000 kbps (4 Mbps).
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Trying to do a web search for settings doesn't seem to turn up anything (except for backup recordings). But something about that camera has to be different. It might be time to contact Mevo for some ideas of what setting needs to be modified.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mikevandre

Post by mikevandre »

If you find a fix for this, please update this thread. I tested out a mevo tonight at our building and had the same issue when connecting to the church system. I didnt have any dropouts with youtube.
akrogers

Post by akrogers »

Sorry for the late reply but I ended up resetting the camera and reapplying the latest firmware update and then it did not have the problem. However we still have issues of it keeping it's connection in a couple of our buildings with very poor internet speed.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

We have been using the mevo on 720p 30fps for many months and it usually registers at 3500kbps encode rate on the church webcast portal.

If you have performed several speed tests and you are not well safe above 5mbps upload then you should probably reduce the resolution below 720p to have a stable broadcast.

Youtube does seem less picky and definitely works better with lower bandwidth.

Also worthwhile ensuring that your network issues are internet bandwidth related and not wifi signal issues. We have recently had to change to a wired ethernet connection to our mevo as the new Meraki wifi access points seem to now have created a blackspot of poor wifi in our chapel that didn't exist last month.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

richarddanielwatts wrote:Also worthwhile ensuring that your network issues are internet bandwidth related and not wifi signal issues. We have recently had to change to a wired ethernet connection to our mevo as the new Meraki wifi access points seem to now have created a blackspot of poor wifi in our chapel that didn't exist last month.
If at all possible, I would recommend going wired.

My ward's webcaster noticed a significant improvement in connection when he switched from WiFi to wired, despite his laptop being only 20' away from the AP.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

Trailing a 60 foot ethernet cable around the chapel isn't convenient for us with approx 50 members attending in person but it is now a necessity and we have more confidence in it. Nothing worse that some random WiFi issues, maybe interference when the chapel fills with members and their devices?

The Liahona SSID is disabled and Mevo connecting to Lehi SSID but some issues still persist since the change to the Meraki MR33.

Can't recall what the old APs were but they did a better job in the chapel area that's for sure despite being mounted on the exact same location for both.

Speed test in our building over both WiFi with good signal and ethernet both return 60 down 15 up.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

We currently have a dozen or so XLR microphone sockets around the building that are never or rarely used. Changing those for ethernet sockets would be much more helpful in this day and age.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Not sure if it's true with newer wifi protocols, but it used to be that if a 802.11b device showed up on your 802.11g system, it would revert to "b' to communicate with it. That can be a pretty big hit on throughput.

I haven't noticed any loss in range with the new MR33 APs. Could the device be switching to the 5GHz band instead of sticking with 2.4?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”