How We Do Zoom Sacrament Meetings

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
swigginton

How We Do Zoom Sacrament Meetings

Post by swigginton »

We’ve been unable to meet in person since March. Our sacrament meetings have been through Zoom Webinar with all members participating from their homes. Rather than purchase Zoom Webinar licenses for each ward, the stake got 2 Webinar licenses and provided hosts for the ward sacrament meetings (2 concurrent sacrament meetings at 3 different times each Sunday for 6 wards). We have a Spanish ward, and use live language translation.
Since wards now have Webinar licenses, we’re transitioning host responsibilities to them. We documented our process and are training the ward hosts. We refined the process over 100+ Webinar sacrament meetings. I’m sharing our process and supporting files in case anyone finds any of it useful for their ward. You’ll want to copy the files to your Google Drive to use and refine them.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
  • Images (folder) - a library of images of Christ to use on-screen
  • Music Audio (folder) - Audio files for all hymns from the Hymnbook with music-only, singing in English and Spanish, some combined hymns for prelude music and the Children Songbook.
  • Text-English and Text-Spanish (folders) - The words of the hymns ready to copy/paste into our sacrament meeting slide deck.
  • Bishopric & Member Instructions - General information for bishoprics, including information for members about how to join the meeting.
  • Webinar Configuration-Sacrament Meeting - Webinar settings we use for sacrament meetings
  • Sacrament Program Slides - Google Slides deck
  • Weekly Meeting Preparations - How we set up Webinar and our slide deck each week. The meeting hosts typically do this.
  • Meeting Participant Instructions - Email we send to the sacrament meeting participants with their unique panelist links. This is a step in the “Weekly Meeting Preparations” document above.
  • Host Instructions - A checklist for hosting the sacrament meetings.
  • Post-Meeting Attendance Reports - Instructions to generate reports of attendance. We use Zoom Polling and a calculation for those who don't respond to the poll.
  • In-person Broadcast Chapel Setup - How we simplify the process when we are able to meet in person. We only did that for 3 Sundays before returning to a stay-home order.
The documentation is detailed, so it may look more complicated than it actually is. We find it pretty easy and members say it feels more like a broadcast than a Zoom meeting.
claytonromberg

Re: How We Do Zoom Sacrament Meetings

Post by claytonromberg »

I have looked over this. We used Zoom Webinar (from my iPhone) this Sunday. I have a iPhone, external mic plugged into that just hooks on the stand mic) Things worked "OK" but the music (capturing from the mic) will cut in and out (Zoom is using AEC which is causing this) What would be a good work around? I have some ideas but I thought I would post this to get feedback 1st.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

claytonromberg wrote:I have looked over this. We used Zoom Webinar (from my iPhone) this Sunday. I have a iPhone, external mic plugged into that just hooks on the stand mic) Things worked "OK" but the music (capturing from the mic) will cut in and out (Zoom is using AEC which is causing this) What would be a good work around? I have some ideas but I thought I would post this to get feedback 1st.
I don't know what the zoom app looks like on the phone, but look for any audio processing and turn it off.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

claytonromberg wrote:Things worked "OK" but the music (capturing from the mic) will cut in and out (Zoom is using AEC which is causing this) What would be a good work around? I have some ideas but I thought I would post this to get feedback 1st.
The Zoom phone app has limited configuration options. In the Meeting Settings, there is a "Use Original Sound" option. You might try enabling that, since it disables noise suppression, and may reduce or eliminate the AEC.
The Windows Zoom app has many more audio configuration settings. If you can connect your mic to a laptop instead, one of those settings might do better..

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”